Fiat 500 Forum banner

101 - 115 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
maybe they resold those cars to some of our fine members......would explain a few squeeks and rattles, eh?

·
Registered
394 Posts
You think the computer still works? Why waste a real car, when you can computer animate that?
Creating a realistic animated movie grade TV commercial can cost millions of dollar easy. Dropping few dummy cars in the water will cost ways less than that. Beside these dummies has no engine or transmission. The raw cost for Fiat won’t be much since they make them.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I notice that the ECU is very close to the rain gutter or whatever it call. Only few inch away, on the top of the ECU there is a rubber sealant for the hood, any chance the OP have done some mod or services that needs to remove the rubber molding around that area for installation. And whoever put it back miss install the rubber back into place that cost the water leak or dripping right onto the ECU?

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Creating a realistic animated movie grade TV commercial can cost millions of dollar easy. Dropping few dummy cars in the water will cost ways less than that. Beside these dummies has no engine or transmission. The raw cost for Fiat won’t be much since they make them.
Read the Facebook page. One of the cars was going to be towed into the water by a boat, but the water was too choppy. So a stunt man jumping into the car and DROVE it off the pier.

Hard to drive a car without an engine or tranny. :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
Overnight, I received an email from Fiat inviting me to provide feedback on my "service experience" regarding the car that launched this thread, my Fiat 500 Pop that got ruined by a rainstorm. Unfortunately, this email has only added to my negative impression of Fiat.

I had been looking forward to completing one of these surveys because: the studio was never able to explain what failed and how this happened; it was impossible to get my service department representative on the phone; and I still don't understand why Fiat refused to cover the problem under warranty. I believe this was a mistake which Fiat needs to correct.

But when I clicked on the link to complete the survey, it told me the survey had either already been completed or had expired.

A month ago, I would have told you that I loved my Fiat. Now, I have doubts about the brand.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am brand new to this site and joined because of a disappointing problem with my 2012 Fiat 500, which I bought in July 2011. While I was away last week, my town in South Florida got several inches of rain, and I returned home to find the car wouldn't start. It had to be towed to the local dealership, which told me that the onboard computer got destroyed by water and must be replaced.

There was no evidence of flooding in the parking lot outside my condo, and my neighbors confirmed that there was no flood -- just a big downpour. Fiat is telling me that the damage is environmental and is not covered under warranty. But I keep asking: Shouldn't the car be able to sit out in the rain? Maybe there's a defect with the hood?

Has anyone else ever heard of a similar problem? During a call with a Fiat customer service representative named Dylan on Monday, I said that I am left to conclude that I must buy a cover to protect the car from rain. And he responded that that's probably a good idea. I was stunned to hear him say that.
The same is happening to me. When it rains and I start the car it sounds like an animal screaming and today after much heavy rainfall the ETC failure light is on

·
Registered
76 Posts
Jonathan/ fiat cares I have seen try to help many but apparently at the end of the day he is still a Chrysler/fiat robot. No vehicle has ever died from a heavy rain storm if all things listed are intact. (Hood, weather seals, etc)It was not an act of god it was an act of shitty manufacturing which the 500 is known for in many aspects and fiat is great at not giving a crap about it or even trying to fix the issue. The horror stories of refusal to fix things that clearly are a warranty issues are plentiful and are something these robots specialize in while convincing you that it is normal (and it isnt ), it's no wonder why they are discontinuing this line of vehicles in north America. Supposedly. Because their vehicle is as crappy as their attitude about fixing things that should not have been a problem in the first place. Sorry I cant help, but the ECU is easy to change and I would not pay a studio to do it buy a used one and take the 15 minutes it takes to change it and move on. Fiat will be no help in the matter, as usual.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Im not taking it personally. I enjoy this community. But as much as I am here for all of you and have helped most of you, I simply cant help everyone, in every situation:

Also, this is exactly what I was trying to avoid by stating that situations like this should 'stay within the parties involved.' I understand this to be a public forum, and Im sure Doug is upset that the company declined his warranty request. But, all it creates is a back and forth comment war about 'what should happen', and 'who should do.. what.' This isnt about restoring confidence in the company. This is about a vehicle being damaged by excessive water caused by weather, plain and simple, and as much as I would love to help, I have to be held accountable as well, and follow the dealers diagnosis. Please understand and respect that.

Under warranty, the dealer cannot submit a part that is damaged by some other force than a manufacture defect. If they did, the company would charge back the dealer, and in turn, the dealer could charge the customer, so in the end, the customer pays for the repair either way. This is the purpose of vehicle insurance.

I completely understand Doug's bewilderment here, but I am held accountable as well, and per the terms of the warranty, the repair does not fit those parameters. Weather, no matter how intense, is not a part of the manufactures warranty. Like I said before, Doug is more than welcome to go to another studio for a second opinion, but with water damage, do not expect a different outcome.
It is ignorant and quite dishonest to Insenuate that weather caused his issue and your not helping anything by covering for them period, plane and simple. The messenger is not being shot simply being called out.

·
Registered
919 Posts
You may be able to reach one and pull out any debris. Iirc one is about centered behind the engine and maybe another toward the passenger side? NGEN has a youtube video on strut replacement that goes over removal of the cowl cover if necessary. A clogged drain may cause the cowl tray to overflow in places. Just thought this might then splash near to the ecu.
I will find and link a video showing cowl removal.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You may be able to reach one and pull out any debris. Iirc one is about centered behind the engine and maybe another toward the passenger side? NGEN has a youtube video on strut replacement that goes over removal of the cowl cover if necessary. A clogged drain may cause the cowl tray to overflow in places. Just thought this might then splash near to the ecu.
I will find and link a video showing cowl removal.
I will know the diagnostic of my car later today. many Thanks

101 - 115 of 115 Posts