Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
According to the article the first FIATs in the states have an actual FIAT built engine...Mine was built in Feb 2011 so thats cool news to me! :)

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
shutdowns in production this soon is awful news.

next step: studios that were listed on the fiat site will back out....never mind, that has already happened.

next: studios that already exist shutting down

fiat, get you marketing sh!T together and start selling some cars.

·
Registered
317 Posts
The marketing for this car in the states is so missing its mark. They are only advertising the 500c. Fiat needs to stand up and use some "creativity" in their marketing.

The marketing overseas is awesome... here nonexistent which is equaling little to no sales. The only reason I know about the car is because of TopGear (UK).

·
Registered
2,239 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I guess Fiat need to vett their studios better. Mine is selling over 50 cars a month, which is more then all the studios in south Florida combined.

It's not the car. It's not the advertising. It's the studio, Chrysler, and only having 1 model car.

·
Registered
43 Posts
They are using J-Lo to advertise. I honestly don't know why. I really don't. Marketing wise, I have no idea what story they are trying to tell - it's very messy and confusing. Other car brands have really figured out who they are marketing to and how to do it (I still think the Ford Fiesta is a pretty brilliant example of hitting their target demographic well - the majority of people I see in the car are in my husband and I's age/demographic type).

Also, the studio I bought my car from (which sits in the middle back of a huge "car mall" in Cincinnati) had inexperienced sellers who did not know about the cars. My first test drive, I was told all cars had leather wrapped steering wheels, that when you plugged into the aux port it allowed you control through the cars, and a couple other wrong things. The guy also couldn't find the keys to ANY car on the lot (there were well over 50) so I ended up test driving one of the mechanic's sports (he had changed a lot already and it was REALLY awkward driving someone's ACTUAL car) so yeah. Fail. Also he talked a lot about politics, which is pretty funny to me, but still, didn't end up buying the car from him in the end. My second sales person wasn't any better. She was nervous, didn't really "get" it, and sent us into financing before asking how much I wanted to put down on the car or if I was buying it - she just assumed that a) I was using my trade in as a down payment (I wasn't) and that b)because I got the amount I wanted for my trade in, I was buying the car (I wasn't). I actually walked out of the studio to buy a different car (the Fiat was what I wanted, but I am also incredibly stubborn and married to someone as stubborn as I am, so put us together and we don't take anything) and the manager had to pull us back in and take stuff off.

Anyhow. It's a cute car. But their marketing and studios are kind of messy. (At least in my experience)

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
They are using J-Lo to advertise. I honestly don't know why. I really don't. Marketing wise, I have no idea what story they are trying to tell - it's very messy and confusing. Other car brands have really figured out who they are marketing to and how to do it (I still think the Ford Fiesta is a pretty brilliant example of hitting their target demographic well - the majority of people I see in the car are in my husband and I's age/demographic type).

Also, the studio I bought my car from (which sits in the middle back of a huge "car mall" in Cincinnati) had inexperienced sellers who did not know about the cars. My first test drive, I was told all cars had leather wrapped steering wheels, that when you plugged into the aux port it allowed you control through the cars, and a couple other wrong things. The guy also couldn't find the keys to ANY car on the lot (there were well over 50) so I ended up test driving one of the mechanic's sports (he had changed a lot already and it was REALLY awkward driving someone's ACTUAL car) so yeah. Fail. Also he talked a lot about politics, which is pretty funny to me, but still, didn't end up buying the car from him in the end. My second sales person wasn't any better. She was nervous, didn't really "get" it, and sent us into financing before asking how much I wanted to put down on the car or if I was buying it - she just assumed that a) I was using my trade in as a down payment (I wasn't) and that b)because I got the amount I wanted for my trade in, I was buying the car (I wasn't). I actually walked out of the studio to buy a different car (the Fiat was what I wanted, but I am also incredibly stubborn and married to someone as stubborn as I am, so put us together and we don't take anything) and the manager had to pull us back in and take stuff off.

Anyhow. It's a cute car. But their marketing and studios are kind of messy. (At least in my experience)
Using J-Lo is brilliant. She evokes a feeling. Either you love her or hate her. Causing people in investigate the car. NOT buy it. Commercials are designed to create a reaction, which it does.

Now the rest of your issues are isolated to a few Studios. Like I stated earlier my Studio is AWESOME. They are well trained, passionate, and not overly pushy.

I did find studios attached, or connected to a Chrysler dealership to be quite the opposite, since I did shop the car before purchasing it.

If you are looking for a new 500, I recommend contacting Rick Case Fiat in Florida, and see if they can sell and ship the car. They are #1 in sales for a reason.....They do it right.

Disclaimer: I am a happy customer, NOT an employee

·
Registered
1,007 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Using J-Lo is brilliant. She evokes a feeling. Either you love her or hate her. Causing people in investigate the car. NOT buy it. Commercials are designed to create a reaction, which it does.

Now the rest of your issues are isolated to a few Studios. Like I stated earlier my Studio is AWESOME. They are well trained, passionate, and not overly pushy.

I did find studios attached, or connected to a Chrysler dealership to be quite the opposite, since I did shop the car before purchasing it.

If you are looking for a new 500, I recommend contacting Rick Case Fiat in Florida, and see if they can sell and ship the car. They are #1 in sales for a reason.....They do it right.

Disclaimer: I am a happy customer, NOT an employee
Im not sure what your demographic is but as a single, fashion aware, higher income young professional male in his 30s the JLo marketing nightmare couldn't be more off the mark...also if you look at demographic threads on this forum you can clearly see the majority of owners are men.

Also if you look at sales they start to really drop off right when the JLo Joke Ads started, so I guess there goes your "brilliant" theory

In my opinion associating with JLo destroyed this brand and it will never recover, a rude awakening to the power of advertising and branding. Everybody brings up JLo when asking about my car. My take, unless FIAT stops airing those JLo ads and makes a dramatic shift in campaign objective to try and reverse the damage, FIAT is done here...I still love the car and if it makes finacial sense after FIAT closes shop here will keep it, but because of bad marketing FIAT is done and will not exist here in a few years...

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Im not sure what your demographic is but as a single, fashion aware, higher income young professional male in his 30s the JLo marketing nightmare couldn't be more off the mark...also if you look at demographic threads on this forum you can clearly see the majority of owners are men.

Also if you look at sales they start to really drop off right when the JLo Joke Ads started, so I guess there goes your "brilliant" theory

In my opinion associating with JLo destroyed this brand and it will never recover, a rude awakening to the power of advertising and branding. Everybody brings up JLo when asking about my car. My take, unless FIAT stops airing those JLo ads and makes a dramatic shift in campaign objective to try and reverse the damage, FIAT is done here...I still love the car and if it makes finacial sense after FIAT closes shop here will keep it, but because of bad marketing FIAT is done and will not exist here in a few years...

Actually sales increased after J-LO. Your next statement that they will never recover. Really? Never? That's like saying Germany, or Japan would not recover after WWII, or Chrysler wouldn't recover after the bailout. OK Chrysler was a bad example.

Yes everyone brings up J-Lo when asking about the car. So how is it a bad campaign? Granted, I can't stand her. They need variety with their ads. Got J-Lo, why not add the cast of Glee?(I know that sounds bad). Show a defensive tackle getting in and out of the car. Maybe even have Santa put one under a tree. Showcase the Studio experience. Sipping espresso and googling over the car

·
Registered
69 Posts
Actually sales increased after J-LO. Your next statement that they will never recover. Really? Never? That's like saying Germany, or Japan would not recover after WWII, or Chrysler wouldn't recover after the bailout. OK Chrysler was a bad example.

Yes everyone brings up J-Lo when asking about the car. So how is it a bad campaign? Granted, I can't stand her. They need variety with their ads. Got J-Lo, why not add the cast of Glee?(I know that sounds bad). Show a defensive tackle getting in and out of the car. Maybe even have Santa put one under a tree. Showcase the Studio experience. Sipping espresso and googling over the car
Ummm...unless Im reading this chart wrong and the JLO commercials didn't start in July-August...its pretty clear sales have dropped since FIAT publicly associated with JLo.

http://images.thetruthaboutcars.com/2011/11/graph-77.png

And no, they will not recover from this. The 500 in most people's minds is "the JLo car"...I don't like it anymore than you do, but thats the power of brand perception. FIAT should have taken more care, the brand is done :(

·
Registered
269 Posts

I had a very similar experience at the dealer I did my test drive. No key's, no experience, etc., etc.

It was actually comedic at one point the salesperson got in the car and couldn't figure out why the air conditioning would not work with the fan running full blast. Looking confused and apparently unable to drive a manual I had to intervene and start the car for her, it cooled down in short order. No idea how anything worked and unable to pull off tasks such as open the hood or trunk I had to move on however, the bug was already set.

Needless to say I bought from another dealer and love the car.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Ummm...unless Im reading this chart wrong and the JLO commercials didn't start in July-August...its pretty clear sales have dropped since FIAT publicly associated with JLo.

http://images.thetruthaboutcars.com/2011/11/graph-77.png

And no, they will not recover from this. The 500 in most people's minds is "the JLo car"...I don't like it anymore than you do, but thats the power of brand perception. FIAT should have taken more care, the brand is done :(

First, comparing to the Mini is not an accurate assessment since Mini has more then 1 model. There are HUGE issues with Chrysler. Independent studios don't get the support they need, or correct inventory.

Maybe it's because my car is black, I don't get a lot of J-Lo references. Fiat the brand has a long road ahead, mostly because of how bad they were, not a crappy commercial. 50000 cars in a short year was a stretch to bring with. Thanks again Chrysler for coming up with that number.

To compete Fiat USA needs to break away from Chrysler, and become their own brand. It breaks my heart to see my car listed on my registration as Make: Chrysler Model: Fiat 500.

No mention of advertising. It's Italians being Italian, and moving at their own speed.....slow. It's Chrysler being the petulant child. The pink ribbon car was Chrysler's baby. They didn't make it to the Studio's till end of October when breast cancer awareness month was over..

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/11/15/...sinc/autoblog+(Autoblog)&utm_content=FaceBook

·
Registered
147 Posts
:confused: Maybe I'm out to lunch, but what is the heck is so bad about JLo? She's a decent singer, actress and dancer, and has a phenomenal caboose. She's nowhere near as polarizing as Britney, Madonna, or Lady GaGa.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
And no, they will not recover from this. The 500 in most people's minds is "the JLo car"... :(

No one ever refers to mine that way. Abarth is on the way. Give it time.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Here is the bottom line -- Fiat has made a serious investment in launching the 500 is the US and Canada. They have also committed themselves to 10 years of parts and service availability. They are preparing to bring Alpha Romao to the US next year.

O.K. JLo was not the best choice for an ad campaign, at least not without other parallel tracks that feature a strong male image.

The big question for Fiat/Chrysler is how much money to spend on marketing when the sales goals are modest at best.

My $.02 worth is that the 500 may be the best car available in the US (and Canada?) for $15,000.00. Where are the ads that go after the 1st car buyer, recent college grads and others in the market for a cool car that doesn't break the bank.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts