Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.autoblog.com/2011/12/08/...afety-rating-toyota-camry-and-c/#aol-comments
The Fiat 500, meanwhile, didn't fare so well under the range of crash evaluations. The tiny hatchback collected just three stars overall. The side-impact test was particularly cruel to the Italian compact, with NHTSA awarding the vehicle two stars in that category – a somewhat surprising result considering that Fiat went to the trouble of redesigning the 500 for U.S. crash test compatibility. The 500 finds itself in the company of the Dodge Caliber and outgoing Ford Escape as the only models tested so far to receive the three-star designation.
Disappointing.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The 3-star is a little misleading. Go look at the full results. The front crash rating is 4-star. The front passenger side rating is 5-star.

It got knocked to 3-star overall because the REAR side impact was 2-star, which is awful.

Basically, if you don't put people in the back seat it is a 4-5 star car and IIHS top safety pick.

For the general public though, this is a really big blow to Fiat. That wont help sales at all. :(

·
Registered
453 Posts
People think small cars are a death trap regardless of safety ratings. They'll always say, "yeah, but what if a semi or a hummer hit me?"
Safety ratings don't change physics. This might not help sales, but I doubt it will hurt that much. How many of us bought (or decided against) our Fiats because of safety rating? I bought mine before the results of any tests were published, and I won't be selling it because of these.

·
Registered
424 Posts
IIhs gave the 500 a best rating for the 500 for cars made after July '11. (Mine was made in Oct.) I think they have more realistic tests, in terms of the offset test. Without airbags in back, any coupe will have less than good results since the structure is part of the rear quarter panel and does not have the benefit of a side door beam.
As far as the pole test, just don't take any fast right handers with trees around.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
People think small cars are a death trap regardless of safety ratings. They'll always say, "yeah, but what if a semi or a hummer hit me?"
Safety ratings don't change physics. This might not help sales, but I doubt it will hurt that much. How many of us bought (or decided against) our Fiats because of safety rating? I bought mine before the results of any tests were published, and I won't be selling it because of these.
+1, agreed.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Unfortunately,, Perception is Reality most of the time. As above, it won't help...

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
The 3-star is a little misleading........It got knocked to 3-star overall because the REAR side impact was 2-star, which is awful.

Basically, if you don't put people in the back seat it is a 4-5 star car and IIHS top safety pick.
this is true. but I've seen pics of a FIAT hit in the rear by a full size Chevy 1500 pickup. the FIAT was able to be driven away whereas the Chevy had the radiator shoved up on the engine and the front end flattened. the little FIAT took quite a hit but kept on ticking.

maybe it would serve FIAT to remove the useless rear seat and just make it a 2-seater? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
225 Posts
maybe it would serve FIAT to remove the useless rear seat and just make it a 2-seater? :rolleyes:
I would agree with you except for one reason. The insurance is much cheaper on a 4-seat car as opposed to a 2-seater. I know it makes no sense but it IS insurance and therefore is not supposed to be logical. However, there is nothing to stop you from removing the rear seats and having a bespoke carpet make by an an auto upholstery shop. Not only would it be wicked cool, your 500 would be lighter, faster, and get better gas mileage (all things being otherwise similar).

Cheers

1 - 12 of 12 Posts