Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got the exhaust done today, decided I didn't feel the cost was worth the gain to go with the full setup so instead I opted to drop a bit of weight and add a little sound. Video isn't great but it's pretty good for a phone video and I like the new sound, almost has a rasp but not really so all in all I'm happy, paid $70 and it isn't bad inside when driving. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJmwhF11mNc

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Sounds good! Did you just do an axel back? Is that the stock sport tip?

Oops I just read your description on YouTube. It sounds really good !
I like it more than most I've heard so far

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hey that sounds pretty darn good! More details, pix, and driving impressions would be welcome. Sounds like it is a lot louder than stock.

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The total cost was $70 with labor and the tip, two hangers and the roughly 10 inches maybe of piping. It is really sweet in person and much more than stock but without being annoying and over powering when driving so conversations with passengers and phone calls won't be an issue. I left the stock piping all in tact with exception to around 1 to 1/2 inch behind the stock rear mounted muffler, so sorta axle back I suppose, the stock exhaust is probably in the neighborhood of 10 lbs or so, now only all stainless added, short pipe and tip so dropped some weight. The stock tip is fairly small and this one better fills the opening in the rear, I'll try to take another video to better show that and or pics, once I install the intake and ECU upgrade I will try to remember to pull the stock muffler out of storage so I can offer a side-by-side comparison to be viewed for those that wish to compare them. Did it give more power? Good question, the obvious change in sound creates the placebo of more even if no more exists so I cannot say for sure but I imagine it has helped at least a little with less restrictions compared to before. I'll be glad to answer whatever I can but I really cannot say how much it improved actual power, to me though I love it and I saved a fortune which makes me happier still. Thanks for taking the time to check it out and comment!

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Ive seen a dyno for the Borla catback and they gained 4 hp, I cant imagine there is too much difference between theirs and our custom exhausts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I really want to hear with the car under load. Can you hang someone off the back with a mic as you accelerate? :)

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No serious droning issues and if you can send a vertically challenged person I'll stick'em in the trunk area, pop the hatch and have them get a first hand look with video for ya JAFA...haha. Thanks phat, by summer most if not all will be completed. It wouldn't be hard to get the muffler shop to fab some of these based off this one but I doubt anyone would want to buy it since I'd imagine their local shops could offer the same for around the same cost, this tip is stainless and not the thin cheap feeling tips you get from local auto parts shops so it should last a pretty long time.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
it will sound great with your RRM intake youve got coming.
say, if you've got some time, it would be awesome if you installed the intake first, went for a boot, then threw in the timing controller so you could let us who already have the rrm intake how noticable the TCU was!
That would be much appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK, intake installed, looked easier than it was but I already had a cut on my thumb from yesterday and bleed SUPER easy cause of blood thinners so that made it much worse, also being such a tight fit makes it a little bit of work, overall pretty straight forward and simple enough. The small diameter hose seems to bend a tad too sharply like maybe it is an inch or two shorter than would be ideal and it definitely looked longer in the installation video I saw awhile back. The hose would really be my only complaint IF you want to call it that, otherwise it is great. I had an intake similar to this on another car and it was MUCH louder BUT a lot of it might be the exhaust is loud as is the engine itself and the rear of the car is nearer the driver so much more easily heard. I actually saw the ESC light pop on due to wheel spin which I did not expect at the time when it occurred and the pull feels notably stronger especially from stand still. Really like the added throttle response it seems to have added, I'll know more with a bit more driving but I am planning (weather permitting) to install the ECU Tuner tomorrow morning, running just the intake (and exhaust mod obviously) first to see and feel the effect before running both, I and at least one other here was curious how it'd be without the tuner added so I chose to not do both at the same time which would be much easier due to the filter being above the tuner connection point. Assuming the weather is nice enough I will drop in the tuner tomorrow morning and take off for the day and you can be sure I'll be posting once again the results although it'll be fairly simple I'm sure..."MUCH more pull and way more fun, that'd pretty much sum it up since I already have run the tuner without the intake and exhaust and it alone was both notable and more fun, anyways, no pics or video as there is one on you-tube and mine would be so close it might as well be identical, the exhaust was fairly different so worth posting. Simply due to sound the exhaust being louder makes me smile so much, I'd suggest EVERYONE drop the stock muffler and put a new tip and short piping in place, save on weight, hurt your face with bigger smiles, worth every penny even if it is the ONLY thing you do to your car and for less than $100 most if not everyone should easily be capable of affording it. I am on a very fixed budget and did it and with all the mods together it's another car, a much more fun to drive car!

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I would love to do some sort of exhaust mod but I have a hard time replacing a brand new exhaust for the sake of a little more tone. someone convince me!!! Sent from my Argento 500
Get you laptop and some nice speakers and go sit in your car, close your eyes and play the video above and think for a measly $60-$100 bucks you can improve performance, lose weight (in the car), and have a racecar sound like you are imaging is your car right now...how's that, better? :confused:

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
sweet! glad to hear you like the intake. The fit is not 100% perfect but close. Very anxious to see what your thoughts are with all 3 mods!

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
sweet! glad to hear you like the intake. The fit is not 100% perfect but close. Very anxious to see what your thoughts are with all 3 mods!
It took a bit of "persuading" I'd say, but it did eventually workout as intended. I do like it but I did expect a more dramatic sound from the air being sucked in and more growl when applying throttle, but this was a very different car I had the similar intake so I didn't know what to expect in the sound dept., it did what it's supposed to and that's what counts most. Looks like tomorrow is gonna be nice enough to install tuner, today was mid 70s and I got home and installed the intake just before dark. My prior plan for a custom enclosure and hood scoop are gone now that I see it installed, just not enough room to make what I had in mind work and if it did I cannot even begin to imagine how tight things would be seeing as the 500 is already fairly compact under the hood in many areas. The one thing that sticks in my head is too much is never enough and as much fun as it is before and more-so after knowing it quickly has reached its limit makes me a bit sad too ya know. Still love to be at about 200HP, for the 500 that'd be my ideal goal.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I think a non abarth 500 with 200 hp is likely not going to happen without some MAJOR modding ( possibly an abarth tranny/clutch swap) That being said. 500 madness is about 60 days away from having a bolt on turbo kit for our 500s and the kit they made for the smart car yielded 40-50 HP so we may be able to get to 150 HP or so. My goal is to make up for the lack of power by shedding as much weight as possible. Did it to my 170 HP SVT Focus and removing 150 LBS on a 2800 car was noticable so doing 100 Lbs on a 2350 lb 500 will be great

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think a non abarth 500 with 200 hp is likely not going to happen without some MAJOR modding ( possibly an abarth tranny/clutch swap) That being said. 500 madness is about 60 days away from having a bolt on turbo kit for our 500s and the kit they made for the smart car yielded 40-50 HP so we may be able to get to 150 HP or so. My goal is to make up for the lack of power by shedding as much weight as possible. Did it to my 170 HP SVT Focus and removing 150 LBS on a 2800 car was noticable so doing 100 Lbs on a 2350 lb 500 will be great
True, I dumped the stock exhaust and air box thus far, lighter wheels is likely down the road, I do think 200 in an Abarth would be sweet, take some major work to get the Sport to that point, not just the SC but supporting mods definitely won't be cheap. I wish I could remove the bottom of the rear seat, fold down the seats and have a custom fold down wall still covering the rear trunk (if you can call it that) area.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts