Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I’ve a Fiat 500S when in neutral for about 10 mins the car automatically switches the ignition off and start stop not available comes up on the dash . Any ideas what this could be . Thanks

·
Registered
12,868 Posts
Might purchase a code reader. Plug it in see if your pulling any engine codes. loose ground wire, bad fuel pump, could be anything. We don’t have the stop start feature, on any NA 500’s here.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Might purchase a code reader. Plug it in see if your pulling any engine codes. loose ground wire, bad fuel pump, could be anything. We don’t have the stop start feature, on any NA 500’s here.
Ok thanks

·
Registered
12,868 Posts
jamie that might be a safety feature, on the stop, and start. Check your owners manual. Especially if you let the car sit, for a while. Again, I’m just guessing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
jamie that might be a safety feature, on the stop, and start. Check your owners manual. Especially if you let the car sit, for a while. Again, I’m just guessing.
OK you mean it might be doing it as a safety feature .

·
Registered
167 Posts
My aunt got this 500S and it does the same. I'm coming over this week after we finished installing the headache rack and truck accessories on the Silverado. Will have it checked for any code.

·
Registered
2013 Fiat 500 Abarth with an intermitant thunk noise up front, a P006D, and a Tire Pressure Malfunct
16 Posts
I would imagine if you idle that long it may be emissions to stop people from warming up their car.

·
Registered
2013 Fiat 500 Abarth with an intermitant thunk noise up front, a P006D, and a Tire Pressure Malfunct
16 Posts
So it’s a safety feature ?

Yes and also I believe an emissions feature. Some States make it illegal to warm up your car and even have a snitch line where a cop can come by and give you a ticket. Does you car idle perfectly fine and then after a set amount of time shut off or does it have a bad idle that stumbles and eventually fails?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi yes my car idles then cuts out and says start stop unavailable then it needs a manual restart

·
Registered
16 Posts
How long can you idel for before it shuts off? Do you have a definitive time frame?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Probably an emissions control to prevent long term idling.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts