Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Comparing the Fiat 500 to the Mini Cooper, which is the better choice.

Base price Mini Cooper: $19 400
Base price Fiat 500: $15 500

Price does play a roll here. At nearly a $5000 difference, make your choice!

Discuss...

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,385 Posts
The crux of the matter is whether the engine we are getting (the 1.4) is durable in the long run. That's an unknown, because of the new technology. The rest of the car is actually already proven (the Panda platform). If I can get 40 mpg and have good reliability, then the Fiat is the better deal by far.

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
The Multi Air motor has been used in Europe for a few years. They have been building the car since 2007 and refining it. They refined it even more for the North American market. In 2008 it won European car of the year.

I for one think it will do just fine. The guy I went to the Nov 16th launch party with picked me up at the airport in a Mini and we drove it to the party. John is about 6'2" at least. He said he felt more comfortable in the Fiat than the 09 Mini he uses for a daily driver. He compared the fit and finish to his 06 911. We are both gearheads and loved everything about the car.

If it drives as good as my wifes Honda Civic I'll be happy!

·
Super Moderator
1,385 Posts
This is a word-class car, no doubt about it. This engine, I like the design, and I think N. America wiil be its major proving ground. Before now the 1.4 was only one choice among three. I would have gone for the diesel in a heartbeat if they had offered that.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Comparing the Fiat 500 to the Mini Cooper, which is the better choice.

Base price Mini Cooper: $19 400
Base price Fiat 500: $15 500

Price does play a roll here. At nearly a $5000 difference, make your choice!

Discuss...
Well it depends what you want to find out is better. For me it's about performance and the Fiat 500 has a better power to weight ratio than the Mini Cooper. On the track the Fiat 500 Dominates the Mini Cooper, i have proof!! check out the video :D

·
Registered
794 Posts
Very interesting points so far by all. I too can't help but wish for a diesel. A small, relatively light car with a small, efficient diesel is a really neat combo. Euro Opels and Ford Fiesta's with 1.3 & 1.4 l. turbo-diesels are quick enough, and get remarkable fuel economy. Different driving characteristics than a gas engine for sure, but the torque and economy are both outstanding. The generally low torque of a small gas engine is something that takes a bit of getting used to, but the advantage is an engine that revs effortlessly to the redline. I did see a Top Gear review of the 500 and James May, or maybe it was Jeremy Clarkson, did not like the diesel.

Mini vs 500? Not sure there a 'correct' answer. I like the mini very much, but the 500 is the car I would buy regardless of comparative power or speed around the track. The 500 is, in my opinion, the best of 'retro' inspired designs out today.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts