Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12,769 Posts
I know our old Honda Fit, and smart car are much more reliable. Nothing really seriously wrong with the 500. This photo, taken 9 years ago.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Guys, is it true that Scion IQ is more reliable than Fiat 500?
The answer probably is yes. Individual anecdotal accounts are pretty meaningless when it comes to measuring the overall reliability. Quality control is not determined by one example of failure or a lack thereof, it's the ratio of failure across the board over the given number of example of the products. So IQ does appear to have less fault overall, which probably isn't that surprising.

By the way, many many years ago, I worked at one of Toyota's subsidiaries in Japan, then later in Kentucky, working on a lot of various models as an R&D. I tell you, there are on Fiat 500 components that Toyota would have marked as "reject" even back then. That's how fastidious Toyota's quality control is, or was at least. When they are doing the first LS400, they would reject a piston that fall outside of something like 500th of gram outside of the spec. It's a good thing there are more to driving than reliability and QC.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts