Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Be very careful if you go through a shower with the car. The front windshield forms mineral deposits fast and at least in mine they do not come off with Windex, Vodka or Vinegar solution. The glass on these cars seems very porous! My jeep had the same shower and no problem. I hope there is a ready answer for this. Thx

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is rain. Appears that windshield is more porous than other glass in car. After 2 hours and a microfiber cloth and more Windex and much elbow grease it is much improved. Same shower hit an Audi A5 and a Jeep and they were fine.
First longer run with Lounge auto, gave almost 38 mpg with mixed driving including 70 mph. This is a great car!!

·
Super Moderator
1,385 Posts
rain-x ?

It's hard to know what exact problem is without seeing it. I have never seen this before on any of my cars. But you might want to pick a small section and test it with rain-x treatment.

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Yes. If I can get the glass really clean-----Rain-Ex for sure.
Been raining off and on since Monday here in Northern California. No spots on my windshield from rain. Abit of dirt I cleaned off but no harsh spots.

Where do you live?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Southern California. Heavy rain here. Seems the rains are cleaning some of it now. I think it was a carbonate deposition. Soaking may be the key.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I noticed the same in my one week old Abarth. Looks like the fine border of a water stain that won't come off. It's not really visable, but noticed it while doing a hand wash as its more evident when wet.

Any solution to this?

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
515 Posts
I have that too. It looks like water spots, but I can only see it when it is wet. I clayed the windows when the car was 5 days new and I clean with invisible glass every other day or so. it seems no matter what I do the windows have these spots that I can only actually see while I'm cleaning the windows

·
Registered
86 Posts
In order to get the spots off you will probably need something abrasive. I use cerium oxide. It comes in a fine powder or cream like formula. If you use it with a pad on a drill or random orbital buffer the smoothness of the glass is incredible. I have also used rubbing compound in the past.

·
Registered
6,827 Posts
The only way to totally get it out is to use a special compound and very fine wool. I noticed some small spots on one of my rear windows. When I phoned the LS they assured me it happens with other brands too. But it seems to happen more to cars which have been sitting in damp/humid storage while awaiting delivery. They asked me to bring the car in for this treatment (at no cost). They gave me a Lounge while they worked out the spots. The spots were out in no time, and I haven't experienced them again. I didn't ask the name of the compound, but I'm sure you can contact your LS for the name of it.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
I noticed the same in my one week old Abarth. Looks like the fine border of a water stain that won't come off. It's not really visable, but noticed it while doing a hand wash as its more evident when wet.

Any solution to this?

This is all news to me... ive never heard of this before.. id try very fine steel wool.

·
Registered
235 Posts
If you watch the last part of this video, http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=WV7zt4YTe_Q , you will see that they put the car through a spray test. It is possible that the water may contain certain oils and solvents used in the manufacturing process that may spot the windshields and paint work. Use a alcohol swab to clean the windshield or glass that is spotted, apply Rain-x to seal the glass.

·
Registered
10 Posts

Any solution to this?

I now have the same thing on my brand new 500 Sport. Looks like something dripped on the windshield and dribbled down leaving faint trails. Windex, alcohol, vinegar, mineral spirts, a single edge razor, nothing seems to touch it. Anyone found a solution yet that works? Very faint but annoyingly noticeable.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
I now have the same thing on my brand new 500 Sport. Looks like something dripped on the windshield and dribbled down leaving faint trails. Windex, alcohol, vinegar, mineral spirts, a single edge razor, nothing seems to touch it. Anyone found a solution yet that works? Very faint but annoyingly noticeable.
could it be in between the panes of glass?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Forget rain x. If its not done 100% right you will regret it and I rather live with raindrops than smears.

Steel wool is your best bet on glass. However, if you are more a chemical guy this is your answer. Just did my 10 year old van and my shower doors. Looks like new.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 30 Posts