Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I own a Fiat 500C 2012, and out of the blue my convertible top broke, the motor and mechanics work fine, but the roof itself is completely out of place. My trunk opens normally. I managed to put the roof on the rails and close it (only a small piece of it doesn't go all the way down to the front, I have a small gap now). The latches on the side broke (it's a piece of plastic).
I went to the dealership and they quoted me $4,590 for a repair and said they will need to order a whole new roof, even though they claim the issue is in those plastic latches that are missing and that the top got misplaced and that's why I can't close it anymore. The top is in mint condition, I don't understand why they just can't order parts and change them.
I'm having a dilemma of either repairing it or trading it in. It has 50,000 miles on it, is it worth keeping it or it's better to upgrade? Who had similar issues? I live in South Florida, maybe someone could give me a contact of a repair shop, $4.5K sounds ridiculous.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello all,

I own a Fiat 500C 2012, and out of the blue my convertible top broke, the motor and mechanics work fine, but the roof itself is completely out of place. My trunk opens normally. I managed to put the roof on the rails and close it (only a small piece of it doesn't go all the way down to the front, I have a small gap now). The latches on the side broke (it's a piece of plastic).
I went to the dealership and they quoted me $4,590 for a repair and said they will need to order a whole new roof, even though they claim the issue is in those plastic latches that are missing and that the top got misplaced and that's why I can't close it anymore. The top is in mint condition, I don't understand why they just can't order parts and change them.
I'm having a dilemma of either repairing it or trading it in. It has 50,000 miles on it, is it worth keeping it or it's better to upgrade? Who had similar issues? I live in South Florida, maybe someone could give me a contact of a repair shop, $4.5K sounds ridiculous.
They can fix it! It won't close because the plastic parts that move it are broken off.. We have the exact same issue as I am dealing with this too right now. I have a 2014 GQ. The first Fiat dealer I went to also tried to pull that on me. But, I researched prior to going and said, "Why would you replace the entire top when you can purchase the hardware for both sides to repair it?" Then he corrected his estimate. smh. Which brought it to $2,004.90. It annoys me they try to take advantage of women apparently at your dealer and mine. But, what you need is the Left and Right side convertible top drive kit. You can find them online for around $260-$300 per side. They know this. If you have someone that can do it for you. It would be significantly less to purchase the kits and do it yourself. ( mine is broke due to someone trying to break in, and even with full coverage I cant find a shop that will do it. I did have it at the dealer and had a rental then I got a call this morning that they had no one to do it so I had to come get my car) So, I think I am going to take a weekend and do it myself. There are a lot of videos on youtube that show us how. Good luck hun. I hope I was able to help you. At least arm you with the knowledge to go back and tell them you know it involves 2 kits , left and right and they are roughly 300 dollars each. I feel for you..mine has gone on since the end of January now.. I just want to cry its such a hassle and overwhelming..

·
Registered
5 Posts
They can fix it! I am dealing with this too right now. I have a 2014 GQ. The first Fiat dealer I went to also tried to pull that on me. But, I researched prior to going and said, "Why would you replace the entire top when you can purchase the hardware for both sides to repair it?" Then he corrected his estimate. smh. Which brought it to $2,004.90. It annoys me they try to take advantage of women apparently at your dealer and mine. But, what you need is the Left and Right side convertible top drive kit. You can find them online for around $260-$300 per side. They know this. If you have someone that can do it for you. It would be significantly less to purchase the kits and do it yourself. ( mine is broke due to someone trying to break in, and even with full coverage I cant find a shop that will do it. I did have it at the dealer and had a rental then I got a call this morning that they had no one to do it so I had to come get my car) So, I think I am going to take a weekend and do it myself. There are a lot of videos on youtube that show us how. Good luck hun. I hope I was able to help you. At least arm you with the knowledge to go back and tell them you know it involves 2 kits , left and right and they are roughly 300 dollars each. I feel for you..mine has gone on since the end of January now.. I just want to cry its such a hassle and overwhelming..
By the way. I am in the Tampa area of Florida as well. Also I want to add I found a guy on here in the UK that 3d prints the part we actually need and sells it a lot less. He had a set of 2 on ebay recently for 40 pounds . I wrote him and waiting to receive a response. So, that maybe an option for you as well, if you have someone that could do it for you or help you do it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
They can fix it! It won't close because the plastic parts that move it are broken off.. We have the exact same issue as I am dealing with this too right now. I have a 2014 GQ. The first Fiat dealer I went to also tried to pull that on me. But, I researched prior to going and said, "Why would you replace the entire top when you can purchase the hardware for both sides to repair it?" Then he corrected his estimate. smh. Which brought it to $2,004.90. It annoys me they try to take advantage of women apparently at your dealer and mine. But, what you need is the Left and Right side convertible top drive kit. You can find them online for around $260-$300 per side. They know this. If you have someone that can do it for you. It would be significantly less to purchase the kits and do it yourself. ( mine is broke due to someone trying to break in, and even with full coverage I cant find a shop that will do it. I did have it at the dealer and had a rental then I got a call this morning that they had no one to do it so I had to come get my car) So, I think I am going to take a weekend and do it myself. There are a lot of videos on youtube that show us how. Good luck hun. I hope I was able to help you. At least arm you with the knowledge to go back and tell them you know it involves 2 kits , left and right and they are roughly 300 dollars each. I feel for you..mine has gone on since the end of January now.. I just want to cry its such a hassle and overwhelming..
Did you ever get it fixed?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Did you ever get it fixed?
We replaced both sides, and installed a new top module. We found that after replacing the top module you need a computer to program the top and sync it. After that's done you can sync it normally as before. But, unfortunately I am still having issues where it gets hung up at random times and doesn't want to go up the entire way. This is so frustrating, I am scared to even use my convertible top without having my boyfriend there to help me crank it back closed when it gets hung up. Every now and then it will stop about an inch from closing fully. So my headache continues. No fiat dealer will even touch it. Either telling me their mechanics doesn't have knowledge to do the tops and they outsource those jobs. But the company they used no longer works with them. I love my car so much but, this convertible has been a money pit.. I greased the tracks and all as required by suggested lubricant and all.. I don't know what to do.. 😢

·
Registered
6 Posts
Did you get this fixed? I am having an issue with a 2012 i bought that the top is pushed down. Like off the rails! How much is this going to set me back?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts