Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, my 500C boot lid has 6 spot welds to hold it to the lid mechanism, however 4 of these are now loose leaving only 2 to hold the lid onto the mechanism. Is this a common fault, what are the rest of the welds like? I have emailed Fiat UK,s customer support and am awaiting a reply. I guess in the meantime the only solution is get the drill out and put in some pop rivets?

·
Registered
13,463 Posts
welcome to the forum here. Never in the many years, have heard of that issue. Do you have a photo of it.
If it were my car, I run it by a Fiat dealership. Would hurt anything, to be re spot welded, at a welding shop.

·
Registered
2013 Pop, manual, Abarth springs, kyb gas a just rear, zonker short shot air filter, Sprint booster
182 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello and thanks for the replies. Attached is a picture of the offending bracket, you can quite clearly see the gap where the welds have come away. Since the picture was taken I have drilled the bracket and the inner skin and installed pop rivets as I was concerned the boot lid would come off. The pop rivets have closed up the gap and I am going to do the same on the other side.
Automotive tire Tire Bicycle frame Motor vehicle Bicycle

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hello and thanks for the replies. Attached is a picture of the offending bracket, you can quite clearly see the gap where the welds have come away. Since the picture was taken I have drilled the bracket and the inner skin and installed pop rivets as I was concerned the boot lid would come off. The pop rivets have closed up the gap and I am going to do the same on the other side.
View attachment 110947
I would feel confident about using pop rivets in this case. If it loosens up over time, you can always drill out and replace the rivets, but I wouldn’t think that will be an issue.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts