Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been loving my 2014 500e after buying it in 2017. Only issue was having the propulsion battery replaced by manufacturer at the Chrysler dealership 2 years ago, but hey, a new battery and still have 4 years and 55k miles from the original propulsion battery warranty on it.

Then, at stop
light and accelerated when it turned green, driving straight ahead and heard this horrible rumbling. Get it towed to the same dealer and they tell me the axle broke, and that the transmission and front right CV axle need replaced, cost $8600.

Attached is a picture of a cap that fell out of the car and you can see where the bolt holes are torn.

Was looking at the 2013 recall, sounds similar, but those were low-mileage, very rare and the model year prior.

Anyone else seen this issue? Better repair options? Better scrap options?

Any help/suggestions much appreciated!

·
Registered
45 Posts
A New axle should only be about $250 and labor maybe 4 hours so like $600 max and I'm over estimating the price based on your car being electric and not gas. 8600 dollars is ridiculous. The transmission costs about $5k and takes less than 10 hours to change. So they are trying to charge you $4500 dollars in labor for something that is going to take them a day. I'm not very knowledgable about the 500E but my mechanics knowledge says there is very little chance that breaking and axle at the wheel end would break a transmission. Anyone with more knowledge of this running system want to chime in?

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
1,749 Posts
GET A SECOND OPINION!!! (on the repair)

It's almost certainly only mechanical, so any competent general auto service shop should be able to do it, just like if you needed new brakes or shocks.

I agree with DuValMatt there's little chance a "broken axle" would require transmission replacement in an E, any more than it would in the gas version, so it seems highly likely they're trying to rip you off.

I just went out with a flashlight, but it looks like I'd need to jack mine up to see where that cap is from.

I'm also wondering about the use of the word "broke". What exactly broke? Certainly not the axle itself. More likely mounting bolts or CV joint(s), but why wouldn't they specify? (if they were being honest)

·
Registered
17 Posts
I wonder if this is why the engineers limited the power to 1/2 from 0-15mph? Weak front axles + instant torque is not a good mix.

I bet we could drop .5-1 sec off zero to 60 if we had full power from 0-15. That is if it would hook without breaking something.

·
Registered
155 Posts
My badly crashed 2016 went for $3,500 at auction. The front end was totalled. The front radiators all shot. So there is considerable value left even on a crashed 500e.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
1,749 Posts
I really want to take a good look/pics of my own right halfshaft* but someone else here might beat me to it if they're less busy.

*to try to see the likelihood of its failure actually damaging the trans.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Almost brand new 500e gearbox on Ebay for $1500. Can probably get one even cheaper from a wrecking yard...

Axle shafts should only be $150-250 each (depending on which side).

You should be able to find an independent shop that can replace it for you WAY cheaper than the dealer. There's nothing particualy specialized in working on the drivetrain If you are anywhere near San Diego you could probably ship the car to the shop where I work and we could definitely replace it (we mainly specialize in Rav4 EVs, but do work on other electric vehicles as well).

EDIT: I did a quick search on car-part.com and found a wrecking yard in Bakersfield CA that has the gearbox for $440, and another in Canton MI that doesn't have a price listed.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
1,749 Posts
most axles last 100k miles
Even with hard use it's usually only CV joints that wear out (sometimes due to broken rubber "boots") but there's usually some warning like increasing drive lash or noise, either of which should have been extra-easy to notice on an E*.

The supposedly "broken" right shaft is on the top side of the pic I attached, unfortunately partially obscured, but generally each side is identical design & nearly identical attachment.

No matter how much torque you apply to the shafts, it's limited by tire traction, even in an Abarth dropping the clutch from redline. Even though an E can't apply that shock load, it can spin the tires, but this is the first driveshaft issue I've heard of, aside from...:

* The very first 500e recall was for halfshaft bolt LockTite: "N51 (NHTSA13V-358) HALFSHAFT-TO-GEARBOX OUTPUT FLANGE FASTENERS". I thought that was only for 2013 but it's definitely worth checking your VIN at Official Mopar Site | Service, Parts, Accessories & More

·
Registered
78 Posts
If somebody has access to a proper car lift, it might be a good idea to take some pictures and do a short writeup how to check this. If the bolts are accessible, they should be easy to replace.

New original driveshafts are 410/420 USD (2014 FIAT 500 ELECTRIC CV Axle | RockAuto).

I get an impression that the bolts were sheared off. It is not unusual for certain makes to miscalculate metal strength or fatigue.

A classic Citroen I had, had aluminum struts which corroded to the point where the high pressure fluid just exploded out. Made a nice green puddle in the parking lot.

Anyway, can you look at the part? Maybe the shop is just too lazy to extract the broken bolts out from the transmission "flange".

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 500e (Billet Argento), 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TSI 5MT (Tungsten Silver), 2002 Honda VFR
359 Posts
Why bothering fixing it lol the 500e is more valuable as parts then a whole car. Depend if it’s just axle only I would think about picking up a 2017 for $6500 and part that one out if it’s gonna cost more then 1500 to fix 2013 has low resale at this point.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all your replies! Insurance is looking at it this week and I've got an independent shop to take it to for repair or parting out if it comes to that. I'll keep everyone posted and upload photos if I'm able (maybe if it's at the dealership, definitely if it's at the independent shop).

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 500e (Billet Argento), 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TSI 5MT (Tungsten Silver), 2002 Honda VFR
359 Posts
Would insurance even cover mechanical failure I mean it’s not a accident or anything or caused by it. I mean I’m pretty sure if my trans blew on my VW without cause like pothole or someone rear ended me in gear they would tell me to pound sand.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Been loving my 2014 500e after buying it in 2017. Only issue was having the propulsion battery replaced by manufacturer at the Chrysler dealership 2 years ago, but hey, a new battery and still have 4 years and 55k miles from the original propulsion battery warranty on it.

Then, at stop View attachment 108707 light and accelerated when it turned green, driving straight ahead and heard this horrible rumbling. Get it towed to the same dealer and they tell me the axle broke, and that the transmission and front right CV axle need replaced, cost $8600.

Attached is a picture of a cap that fell out of the car and you can see where the bolt holes are torn.

Was looking at the 2013 recall, sounds similar, but those were low-mileage, very rare and the model year prior.

Anyone else seen this issue? Better repair options? Better scrap options?

Any help/suggestions much appreciated!
Hi. I just changed both CV driveshafts on my son's Abarth. They were about $250 ea from Mopar. Tried aftermarket ones first but they didn't fit (lesson learned). Not hard to change if you have 2 jacks and axle/jack stands. About 2 hours each if you've not done them before. One side was 'shot' and made same noise you described. Transmission will likely be just fine! This car only has 65000m on it and we then had to change the front struts as they were worn too. This was not difficult either. Changing both sides should cost less than $1k. at a good shop.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts