Fiat 500 Forum banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
I took a picture of the part in question. The bolts are indeed skinny, but there are 6 of them for each CV axle. Check the transmission flange. If it's straight and there's no play, the only challenge might be the extraction of broken ends of the bolts. Any skilled mechanic can do it.

If the tranny is intact, a new CV axle should do the job.

Attachments

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
1,770 Posts
THANKS FIATATAT!

That's exactly what I wanted to see! Slight chance the tranny was effectively damaged & much more likely one would just need to remove the sheared bolts with a drill & a $5 EasyOut BUT the flange could have "broke" when only 1 or 2 bolts were left, loose...:

The same pic of the damaged car would clearly show whether all 6 bolts sheared, or if 1 or more fell out 1st due to failure to perform recall N51 LockTite application.

At this point I quite strongly suspect the latter, since the bolts aren't subject to flex fatigue, so would likely have broken for example when I blew the doors off a late-model Maserati who challenged me to race on my stickier after-market tires :devilish:

It's also quite possible that someone made another mistake, & nobody realized N51 is also required on (some) 2014s.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts