Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Administrator
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fiat says the fourth variant of its 500 car will be called the 500L, with L standing for large. The 500L, a five-door, high-roof subcompact hatchback, previously known simply by its L-Zero codename, will debut in March at the Geneva auto show.

The car's front end is similar to the 500 but the 500L variant sits on a widened version of Fiat's small vehicle architecture used by the Punto subcompact. The 500L is around 4150mm long, about 60mm longer that the 500 hatchback.
Fiat will eventually offer two versions of the 500L: the five-seat standard model which will debut first, followed two months later by a seven-seat variant, which will be around 10mm longer than the five-seat model.
U.S gets five-door only
Sales of the 500L in Europe will begin in July. The automaker plans to offer the seven-seat variant in Europe only, while the five-seat model will also be exported to the United States beginning early next year. Fiat believes American customers won't buy a seven-seat vehicle as small as the 500L.

The 500L will fill a gap in Fiat's European product lineup when the Idea goes out of production at the end of the year.
Its engines are likely to include Fiat's TwinAir turbocharged two-cylinder 900cc gasoline unit with 85hp, a 1.4-liter gasoline engine with 77hp or 105hp, as well as a 1-3-liter diesel with 75hp or 95hp.In Europe, the model will rival cars such as the Citroen C3 Picasso, Ford B-Max and Mini Countryman.

Fiat will build the 500L in a plant in Kragujevac, Serbia. Fiat Automobili Srbija, which owns the plant, is 67 percent owned by Fiat and 33 percent by the Serbian government.

Read more: http://www.autonews.com/article/20120127/ANE/120129915#ixzz1kr6ohEAj

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
not big on the wide black side moldings, but otherwise I could be interested. just have to see one IN PERSON to be sure.

IMO, it looks better than the Mini Countryman. :)

·
Registered
765 Posts
Let me be sure I'm seeing this right...theres a 7 person variant...and its about 3 inches longer than a Fiat 500??? Did I miss something in the original post or in geometry class?

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
Let me be sure I'm seeing this right...theres a 7 person variant...and its about 3 inches longer than a Fiat 500??? Did I miss something in the original post or in geometry class?
"New Math" :p

actually the 5 passenger is 60mm longer (2.36220" to be exact)

the 7 passenger model is 100mm longer (3.93700"). BIG difference. LOL

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
i will have to see how the interior is set up, but i could definitely see this car working for me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
"New Math" :p

actually the 5 passenger is 60mm longer (2.36220" to be exact)

the 7 passenger model is 100mm longer (3.93700"). BIG difference. LOL
Yep new math.
The L will be 60cm longer or 23.62". 163.22
6" wider. 70.1"
5.6" taller. 65.4"
At least from what I have read.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
the thing looks like it was designed by a committee... yuk

·
Banned
5,539 Posts
I hope they have installed a bigger motor in the 7 seat model otherwise it will not move from a stop.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Yep new math.
The L will be 60cm longer or 23.62". 163.22
6" wider. 70.1"
5.6" taller. 65.4"
At least from what I have read.
How can you fit another row of seats to make it a 7 passenger when the total length is only 100mm longer? The back seat headrests already almost touch the rear glass when extended up to normal sitting position. Is there literally going to be 0 trunk space? The back seat will be the back of the car? Or are they planning a rumble seat like the good ole days?

·
Registered
237 Posts
I hope they have installed a bigger motor in the 7 seat model otherwise it will not move from a stop.
I hope they will have a bigger moter even in the 5-seater model.

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Am I seeing correctly....does it have two "A posts" on either side of the windshield? Ye Gods, those chuckleheads at General Motors did that on a van years ago. It's still a dumb idea.

·
Registered
6,827 Posts

·
Registered
6,827 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Does anyone know what the projected retail price on this car is? This is a more practical car than the Abarth that I am eyeing!

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Am I seeing correctly....does it have two "A posts" on either side of the windshield? Ye Gods, those chuckleheads at General Motors did that on a van years ago. It's still a dumb idea.
The 500L is probably a great car, but the looks must be improved. Yes, some will like it, like some people bought Pontiac Aztecs. But, is that what FIAT is aiming for? An offbeat quirky looking car bought by a select few. Looks matter. Period.
Those horrible black gashes on the side must go, and it clearly needs bigger wheels...at least as OPTIONS. The average buyer is not us. I may look at that and say, "yeah, well if I order it in black, maybe, or upgrade the wheels..." But for the average buyer, if they can't drive a nice looking car out the showroom door, the car may be doomed.

·
Registered
6,827 Posts
I may look at that and say, "yeah, well if I order it in black, maybe, or upgrade the wheels..." But for the average buyer, if they can't drive a nice looking car out the showroom door, the car may be doomed.
I prefer it in darker colors too.

The second part of this, though? Minivan and quite a few SUV drivers across the country disagree with you.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts