Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
New to this forum. I have a 2014 fiat 500L (I know...). This is a sad story (for me). My car just past warrant period in Feb. A few weeks ago, after about 1 week of SIP, I drove it out for a quick grocery trip. I noticed strange gearshift problem, thought it was because it needs to warm up a bit after not driving it for a while. however when driving back, the gear stop shifting into drive.

Got it towed to dealer with the following dianostics:
VERIFIED CUSTOMER'S CONCERN. SCANNED VEHICLE FOR DTCS-FOUND DTC P1CB1-00 GEAR SHIFT ACTUATOR 1 ENGAGE FAILURE. SEARCHED STAR CASES AND TSBS-NONE FOUND. CHECKED TRANSMISSION GEARBOX FLUID LEVEL AND CONDITION-FOUND LEVEL AND CONDITION WITHIN SPECS. CHECKED TRANSMISSION HYDRAULIC FLUID LEVEL AND CONDITION-FOUND HYDRAULIC FLUID LEVEL AND CONDITION OK. CHECKED FOR AVAILABLE MODULE SOFTWARE UPDATES- NONE FOUND AT THIS TIME. RECOMMEND REPLACING DDCT TRANSMISSION ASSEMBLY AND RELATED COMPONENTS AND RETESTING. PROVIDED SERVICE WRITER WITH P AND A.

Dealer quoted me close to 9k for replacing transmission assemblies....not planning to go with them. Not sure if anyone has similar problem here and if anyone has any idea if there's any alternative to solve the problem.

My current options are:
1. Just let the car go....
2. Find third party mechanics to replace the transmission...which still cost 1300 labor + 4500 parts (very expensive given its quality !).
3. Find second hand transmission part?

My main questions:
1. anyone has similar problem but solve it without spending close to 9 grands?
2. is it possible I can simply replace the actuator instead of the entire transmission?
3. does the clue of this happens after it hasn't been driven for a week or two help indicate any other potential (simpler) problem?

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
That sucks and I hope it gets better for you.
Here's what I found on the forum. Perhaps they can just do the module and go from there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all,
New to this forum. I have a 2014 fiat 500L (I know...). This is a sad story (for me). My car just past warrant period in Feb. A few weeks ago, after about 1 week of SIP, I drove it out for a quick grocery trip. I noticed strange gearshift problem, thought it was because it needs to warm up a bit after not driving it for a while. however when driving back, the gear stop shifting into drive.

Got it towed to dealer with the following dianostics:
VERIFIED CUSTOMER'S CONCERN. SCANNED VEHICLE FOR DTCS-FOUND DTC P1CB1-00 GEAR SHIFT ACTUATOR 1 ENGAGE FAILURE. SEARCHED STAR CASES AND TSBS-NONE FOUND. CHECKED TRANSMISSION GEARBOX FLUID LEVEL AND CONDITION-FOUND LEVEL AND CONDITION WITHIN SPECS. CHECKED TRANSMISSION HYDRAULIC FLUID LEVEL AND CONDITION-FOUND HYDRAULIC FLUID LEVEL AND CONDITION OK. CHECKED FOR AVAILABLE MODULE SOFTWARE UPDATES- NONE FOUND AT THIS TIME. RECOMMEND REPLACING DDCT TRANSMISSION ASSEMBLY AND RELATED COMPONENTS AND RETESTING. PROVIDED SERVICE WRITER WITH P AND A.

Dealer quoted me close to 9k for replacing transmission assemblies....not planning to go with them. Not sure if anyone has similar problem here and if anyone has any idea if there's any alternative to solve the problem.

My current options are:
1. Just let the car go....
2. Find third party mechanics to replace the transmission...which still cost 1300 labor + 4500 parts (very expensive given its quality !).
3. Find second hand transmission part?

My main questions:
1. anyone has similar problem but solve it without spending close to 9 grands?
2. is it possible I can simply replace the actuator instead of the entire transmission?
3. does the clue of this happens after it hasn't been driven for a week or two help indicate any other potential (simpler) problem?
Was this ever resolved? I am experiencing the same issue; car won't move. When it finally does, it takes off in 2nd gear then jumps to 4th. The odd number gears are missing; pulled code P1CB1 which is the same your vehicle had. Mine is at 91,000+ miles and had been working fine until this happened. Any help would be appreciated; and the car already has the updates mentioned in this forum where the D1 - D6 were displayed in the cluster. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I'm sorry to hear of your problems with your 500L's DDCT. I came across this company based in what looks to be England that might have more expertise with this transmission than your typical Fiat Studio here in the states. At the very least it might be worth giving them a call to see what they would advise you to do, and also it appears they have reconditioned units that they sell. Keep in mind that this transmission continues to be available in many Fiat/Alfa applications in Europe and (I presume) elsewhere.

Eco Torque

And from their website:

Contact Eco Torque Today:
Tel: 01462 835335 Email: [email protected]

Eco Torque Ltd
Unit 1A Portland Industrial Estate
Hitchin Road
Arlesey
SG15 6SG

Good luck whatever you decide to do.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you for the information; went through the page and it was an interesting read. My Fiat, however, came back to life. We had flooding in our area and the Fiat was outside; the water level didn't seem high enough to get to the door line and no water got into the vehicle. However, it's likely some electrical connectors got wet (transmission and other items) since the front of the car sits so low. Work got tight and couldn't mess with it but after a few days in the sun, I decided to move it so I could get things out of the garage. The first thing I noticed was that it actually engaged in reverse; I moved the shifter to Drive, and it engaged in first; took it for a spin and verified that all gears were working. My daughter has put about 20 miles since last night and it seems to be working properly. I'm hoping it remains that way.

Again, thank you.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Wow. Amazing how a dealer is happy to give you the worst case scenario and hope you agree to the work they recommend. I had a 2002 Honda CR-V that was giving me all kinds of warning lights. I was thinking maybe the battery, but the dealer checked it out and said battery's fine. You need a new alternator, and that'll be $1700. So I said I dunno about that, had a shop that I've used time to time check out the battery and it turns out that one of the 6 cells was bad. New battery fixed everything.

Go figure. Good news indeed! I hope the transmission doesn't give you any more problems.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts