Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all hoping this is an okay spot to post. I bought a 2016 Fiat 500X (loving it by the way) but the alarm keeps going off out of no where. Doors lock and it beeps and arms the system. Any thoughts ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
968 Posts
I've worked w/ other alarms, but my 500 doesn't have a factory alarm. I assume this is a factory alarm? I hope I understand that the alarm is sounding off.

OK, you lock the door and it will beep to tell you it's locked. Then the alarm goes off immediately, or does it wait a bit, like 2 AM, to go off. Does it do it everywhere or maybe only at work? Last, your car is out of warranty? I assume the car has a motion detector, jar detection, and door security? (Someone sticks an arm thru the window, someone bumps or jacks up the car, and/or jimmies a door... all set off the alarm.)

I ask because I've seen several situations. If immediate or intermittent, it could be the door striker. Most aftermarket have a pin in each door opening. (I think Fiat uses the pin that turns on the inside light.) If they go bad, it can set it off. Another was always OK, unless I parked in front of my work, near the road, weekdays 10 AM to 3:30 PM. New highway construction; dump trucks coming to a stop with Jake Brakes rattled the car windows, setting off the motion or jar detector. The GF's car went off every nigh shortly after dark; a mouse was living in the car, feeding off french fries and coffee. The motion detector would sometimes go off. I finally popped the door one night and the scared rodent dashed... giving up his feast.

In any case, dealers (and many shops) have a scanner than can narrow the search.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've worked w/ other alarms, but my 500 doesn't have a factory alarm. I assume this is a factory alarm? I hope I understand that the alarm is sounding off.

OK, you lock the door and it will beep to tell you it's locked. Then the alarm goes off immediately, or does it wait a bit, like 2 AM, to go off. Does it do it everywhere or maybe only at work? Last, your car is out of warranty? I assume the car has a motion detector, jar detection, and door security? (Someone sticks an arm thru the window, someone bumps or jacks up the car, and/or jimmies a door... all set off the alarm.)

I ask because I've seen several situations. If immediate or intermittent, it could be the door striker. Most aftermarket have a pin in each door opening. (I think Fiat uses the pin that turns on the inside light.) If they go bad, it can set it off. Another was always OK, unless I parked in front of my work, near the road, weekdays 10 AM to 3:30 PM. New highway construction; dump trucks coming to a stop with Jake Brakes rattled the car windows, setting off the motion or jar detector. The GF's car went off every nigh shortly after dark; a mouse was living in the car, feeding off french fries and coffee. The motion detector would sometimes go off. I finally popped the door one night and the scared rodent dashed... giving up his feast.

In any case, dealers (and many shops) have a scanner than can narrow the search.
It’s actually still under warranty and certified pre owned so hopefully if it continues it’ll be taken care of. I just got the car over the weekend and it only started today after we drove it to the store and back.

So how it goes is if you lock it, normal beep occurs confirming the alarm was armed. Yes this is a factory alarm. Hours later it’ll randomly go off.

Although it hasn’t happened since I posted this so I hope it doesn’t go off at 2 am.

·
Registered
968 Posts
lol You might be like me... it goes off and you never notice. It was months before I knew. It was a tiny car... 40 MPH gusts could rock it enough to trigger the jar sensor.

I was looking online and a guy's alarm was set off by a huge moth inside. (I never know when people are serious.)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Power is another usual suspect - that is lack of battery power.
A weak battery can drop voltage after dark when ambient temperature drops - setting off the alarm's voltage sensor.
Such a sensor is often used to detect if the cabin light is turned on like when someone breaks into the car - but a drop in voltage is also considered as consumption like if the cabin light is turned on.

If one of the neighborhoods kids has a Hot rod or a custom bike with a loud exhaust (could of course also be the father playing around with his loud vehicle ;o) this could easily set off the alarm. But then all the neighborhood alarms usually goes off when he passes....

Plenty of things can go wrong - and if it is an alarm build from cheap POS components....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good news it hasn’t happened again. I don’t know what it was but thank you all !

1 - 6 of 6 Posts