Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

Im Ruben, from Portugal, i work on IT, and i have a Portuguese Fiat Forum too.
I registered to take a look at the pocket rockets 500's on the other side of the world.

I've been surrounded by those tiny great cars since 2006 here in Portugal, love them!

Right now i own a 2006 Fiat Grande Punto Sport, wich is my passion...

So, i hope i can help, and be helped.

Hope i am welcome here, and hope theres no problem since i don't have a 500, but i really love them, as the rest of the Fiat vehicles.

Ruben

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How many miles/kilometres did you go before your first oil change on the new car? Looks fabulous, by the way.

Thanks Andy,

As it has a Multijet Diesel Engine, the first maintenance planned on the Fiat Manual is at each 30.000 KM, wich is pretty much what i've been doing. I i had the petrol version , like an 8v 65hp engine (same as ours 500 Lounge Version), in that case the oil change has to be made each 15.000km.

I don't know if in the US the 500 comes with a Multijet option too, but here we got 500's with the same engine i got on my Grande Punto, the 1.3 Multijet.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi Ruben! Greetings from 15miles from where you are!
I've just introduced my portuguese 500 in another thread.
Nice car you have..
bye

·
Super Moderator
1,385 Posts
Thanks Andy,

As it has a Multijet Diesel Engine, the first maintenance planned on the Fiat Manual is at each 30.000 KM, wich is pretty much what i've been doing. I i had the petrol version , like an 8v 65hp engine (same as ours 500 Lounge Version), in that case the oil change has to be made each 15.000km.

I don't know if in the US the 500 comes with a Multijet option too, but here we got 500's with the same engine i got on my Grande Punto, the 1.3 Multijet.
It's officially a cross-cultural phenomenon! Every time I ask about miles until FIRST oil change, I get an answer about the oil change INTERVAL. Not the same thing! Ideally the first oil change should be made immediately after the engine is "broken in." When that occurs is the question.

Just like your first birthday is a lot different from successive yearly events...

·
Super Moderator
1,385 Posts
I changed my first oil at 1830 miles. It turned out to be auspicious, because I had a chance to explore this issue with one of the technicians.

The Fiat training class the technician attended had a lively discussion about this issue. This is a definite doctrine that Fiat is pushing. They claim to have disassembled engines to make sure that the period (this is technically Not an interval) before the first change causes no unusual wear.

So, it's a win - win for everyone. I have concluded it is safe to wait on the first change until 8,000 as stated by Fiat. The only reason to go earlier is if it's a personal bias such as in my case. I really did not feel comfortable until I got rid of that first crankcase full.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts