Fiat 500 Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
And don't forget the intercooler, all the plumbing associated with it, and how to mount it.

I've seen people do insane things with cars before and the old saying is, "anything is possible if you have enough money and knowhow." Personally, I don't know it would be worth it to turbo charge a na Fiat.

Sent from my EVO using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
which engine internals are beefed up and how did you find out? I have to wonder - how much would a abarth crate engine cost from the factory.
I saw it on a video with a engineer who worked on the Abarth project for the North American project.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I saw it on a video with a engineer who worked on the Abarth project for the North American project.

the abarth has forged internals. they totally overbuilt the schitt out of that motor. thats where the majority of the price increase comes from. its certainly not from the knock off struts with "koni technology" in them.

·
Registered
515 Posts
the abarth has forged internals. they totally overbuilt the schitt out of that motor. thats where the majority of the price increase comes from. its certainly not from the knock off struts with "koni technology" in them.
While I agree to a certain extent, the majority of the price increase comes mainly from the factory tuned ECU under the hood. That and all the other little bells and whistles. The 500T has the exact same engine, forged internals and all and it is a relatively low price.

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
This is great news to me since I drive my Abarth like I am being chased by the law pretty much 99% of the time. Had some fun with a motorcycle (of course he was WAY faster) and a Mazda Speed 3 (which I ran with nicely, something he had not expected me keeping right with him). :)

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
So the Abarth has forged internals, do the sports & pops have diecast internals?

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
A quick Google search, both engines have forged crankshaft and rods. None have forged pistons, not even the Abarth.

Anything you need to know about the 1.4 NA engine:
http://www.fiat500usa.com/2011/08/inside-2012-fiat-500-engine.html

Same thing about the Abarth:
http://www.allpar.com/cars/adopted/fiat/500-abarth.html
I thought so, it looks like the main differences are compression ratio and a wonderful transaxle. So, if we wanted to turbo a sport, the turbo should not be the Abarth unit but rather the T model turbo to keep the torque at a level our transaxles can deal with. Or - a small output supercharger to give the engine a nice 25% increase. No rocket ship but no slouch either.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
A nice supercharger would add needed bottom end on the car. If they did develop one in conjunction with a flash, cost wouldn't be too bad. About $3,000. Buy that would make it more expensive overall than the T and won't make as much power. My $0.02

·
Registered
59 Posts
would the front and rear bumper and side skirts, would be a direct bolt on from the T to the sport? I'm really gearing towards that conversion !!

- butters

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
would the front and rear bumper and side skirts, would be a direct bolt on from the T to the sport? I'm really gearing towards that conversion !!

- butters
Yes, the Abarth body panels are a direct replacement and obtainable from your parts supplier. The front bumper was about $1000, the rear was $500 for the bumper/difuser combo. That was at the studio parts counter, probably much cheaper through our connection here on the forum. You will only need the front to make the mechanicl changeover. The rest is just open your wallet and start turning some wrenches. I think that if you already have your sport/pop setup with all the braking, springs, anti-swaybar and all the other goodies you love, then this conversion is most likely cost effective considering all the bread you will lose on a trade-in or private sale. If you got an exceptional deal on your present ride and done nothing but drive very little, then you would most likely be better off trading up to your personal dream car.

·
Banned
5,539 Posts
which engine internals are beefed up and how did you find out? I have to wonder - how much would a abarth crate engine cost from the factory.
off topic but I priced out a crate 5.4 s/c from Ford Racing in case I blowed mine up yuck yuck yuck and at last check it was more than the T @ 23,000.00 USD

·
Registered
535 Posts
ultimately it comes down to this.

even if you were way upside down on the 500 you have now. it would still be cheaper to just trade in your 500 for a turbo or abarth than it would be to convert a n/a to a turbo.

thats the financial fact that will prevent this from happening forever.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I think a 1.4 fiat crate might be a little less $ than a 5.4 racing ford crate

·
Registered
513 Posts
A nice supercharger would add needed bottom end on the car. If they did develop one in conjunction with a flash, cost wouldn't be too bad. About $3,000. Buy that would make it more expensive overall than the T and won't make as much power. My $0.02

Not if you want a cabrio or certain color combinations.

ultimately it comes down to this.

even if you were way upside down on the 500 you have now. it would still be cheaper to just trade in your 500 for a turbo or abarth than it would be to convert a n/a to a turbo.

thats the financial fact that will prevent this from happening forever.
Not really. How much would you say a Pop or Sport can be sold for or traded in nowadays? $10,000 maybe? and whats the cheapest you can get a T or Abarth? $20k to $22k? that is $10 to $12k to play with. To put this into perspective, a very complete twin turbo kit for my rare and limited built GTO with intercooler, stainlees pipes, mandrel bent, pumps, injectors etc. is $5,300.
http://www.uppcos.com/product_info.php?products_id=41

Now a single turbo kit for a mass marketed car like the 500 should be much cheaper.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
It should pass the same emission test that a T model will have to pass in three years. Here in Calif it comes after six years but yes, it comes

21 - 39 of 39 Posts