Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Never did this before, this is my 3rd Fiat..yes, decided to trade in my 2015 (bought in 2016)and get one of the last 2019's..debating on warranty.. ok..had the car 4 years with 17k miles at time of trade in. Low mileage driver..usually keeping a car 4-5 years max before trading in . This ones the Turbo..offered the complete 84k one for 1995--- nope, makes no sense for me But, ...Then another at 1295 for 4 years which includes oil changes and all sched. maint.They say it covers all....with no out of pocket for those 4 yrs except apprearance and tires... wondering if this is worth it as prices for everything escalate..thoughts? Thankk you!!

·
Registered
903 Posts
You should verify who is offering the warranty. Fiat's warranty is the most reliable. The factory warranty can be confusing, but this is my understanding.

First, its coverage starts the day you purchase it, not added to the end of the contract. They tried to sell me the warranty the day I bought the car. It was only $1200. Odd enough, it exactly overlapped the factory warranty, so was $0 in coverage. You can wait until near the end of your factory warranty and it'll cost thousands, but it extends coverage from the day purchased. They also offer shorter term warranties, of a year. Then there are various packages added to coverage various components (body add on, etc) and various deductible levels.

You'd need to check the maintenance warranty closely... read the fine print. My dealer offered a 3 year plan, but it was only good at one of Lithia's locations. Yours could be different, but mine covered only their standard oil change/rotation ($60 w/ coupon) plus an air filter, if needed ($30).

That said, I'll might buy the drive train warranty towards the end of my factory warranty period.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Map . This is the actual Fiat warranty, by Fiat. Being my 3rd 500 and after looking over my paperwork from my past two I realize that I haven't had any issues that weren't covered by the basic new warranty. The out of pocket for oil changes and tire rotation are small compared to the cost of 1295- for the added warranty. I dont intend to keep the car longer than 4-5 years and the first 2 years I believe all maint is covered anyway. The rest is the big stuff and thats the main basic Fiat warranty anyway. I've had really good luck the first 3-4 years with my Fiats and weighing all costs, have decided not to buy the extra warranty. For a longer term committment to a car I'd consider it, but with the low mileage I drive and length of time I ahve these cars...it's really not a good fit for me. Thanks again... I appreciate the response!

·
Registered
1 Posts
AM in a similar situation. Bought my 2015 Abarth new. Love it, and it's also my business car. Plan to drive it for a looooong time. Decided to buy the Mopar 8 yr/125k mile vehicle protection plan for 2,390. Of course, it's 8 years from date of original in-service, so really buying an extra 4 years past the oem 4y/50k miles. I'm not a mechanically inclined guy, so bought it for the just-in-case big stuff. I figured anything big, just once will cost more than that.

I put about 7,500-8k miles a year driving around our little city.

I REGRET not buying it a year earlier, as it was about the same price but for UNLIMITED years! Didn't realize they would yank that plan. :( Oh well.

PS: I did briefly consider selling the '15 and getting a new one again. BUT: I figured between the extra 4 yrs, well 3.5 yrs at this point, I thought the chances of it costing me about $20K would be highly unlikely...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts