1 - 20 of 192 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Wow! Just Wow!

·
Registered
95 Posts
oh, it's ok. I sometimes pick up a "get off my lawn" vibe from your posts, that's all. no offense, you know I appreciate your input here.

·
Banned
4,743 Posts
Hey Akcapfiat,

Get off my lawn!

Seriously, it helps if we have all the posts about a single topic in a single thread. When people post multiple threads on the same topic, it helps if the Moderator aggregates them into a single thread. It makes searching for a topic much easier for people later.

But you already knew all that, right?

TEdolph

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Further down on the recall notice it states that owners who have already paid for this repair will be reimbursed, which makes me wonder what they mean by "this repair". The catastrophic failure that some owners have experienced required an extensive and expensive repair. I hope Fiat will take that into account. They have to see the obvious link.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The title "Non-Turbo Recall 5/18/2016" is completely undescriptive of this recall. I did a search before I posted this, looking for an earlier thread regarding this recall. There was none to be found.

I chose a title that I thought others would be able to find easily once the thread drops off page one, along with an image of the main body of the recall notice showing the NHTSA number for reference. If I was searching for information regarding the well known "clutch failures" I would not do a search for "Non-Turbo Recall 5/18/2016".

I rarely visit this forum, having been very active starting four years ago or so. There have always been one or two active members here who seem to have appointed themselves overseers and/or high critics. It's still true, I see.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I checked and my 2013 Sport is recalled. (The Mopar app made it super easy to check.) They provided a number to call which I did and was told the parts aren't available in my area. So there ay go.

As someone who's worked in the auto industry, I can see how this would happen. I worked for a company that made parts for Jeeps and we (almost) triggered a recall. What saved us is that the ultimate root cause of the problem was a tolerance stack on Jeep's side- our parts were okay, but they had a tolerance problem on their side that, if all related measurements had worst case tolerances in the ride direction, the accelerator cable could be overstressed and the swaged-on button could pop off and the car wouldn't accelerate. Once our company did our homework and pointed the finger back at Jeep, the whole issue went away, as if by magic. I don't think a recall ever happened. The likelihood that you get all worst case tolerances is very low.

I suspect the same thing happened here: If the tolerances added up wrong, you could overstress the clutch fingers and/or drive them over center. But it's most likely a very low percentage of cars that have the tolerances adding up wrong, so most manual Fiats are just find and don't need any repair. The recall procedure probably measures one or two dimensions to see if the car has the tolerance problem. If so, they install a "clutch pedal limiter" but if not, they may just send you on your way because there's literally nothing wrong with the car.

So now I wait until they notify me that parts are available.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Thanks, Doohickie.

Very helpful.

I pick up my new 2015 Sport tomorrow and noticed yesterday my VIN came up as part of the recall.

I suspect my 500 will be just fine -- and am happy this issue has come out into the light of day.

·
Registered
322 Posts
The way I understand it, the recall parts will be a spacer block and a switch. Not sure about the function of the switch, but I decided not to wait. I put a 0.4" thick 3M "stick on" bumper under the pedal where it normally contacts the stop. The 15% reduction of pedal throw should reduce the pressure plate travel by the right amount according to my calculations.

·
Registered
487 Posts
The way I understand it, the recall parts will be a spacer block and a switch. Not sure about the function of the switch, but I decided not to wait. I put a 0.4" thick 3M "stick on" bumper under the pedal where it normally contacts the stop. The 15% reduction of pedal throw should reduce the pressure plate travel by the right amount according to my calculations.
I believe the switch is a redesigned version of the clutch switch. With the reduced pedal throw, there could be danger of the switch functioning.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I've seen the recall you are referring to. The recall I posted is not the same recall. It refers to a spring potentially failing. I checked Fiat recalls today, which as of this morning listed the spacer block and switch recall, but as of a few minutes ago there are no recalls listed there. Maybe they are updating.
Text Document Paper Font Paper product

·
Registered
487 Posts
I've seen the recall you are referring to. The recall I posted is not the same recall. It refers to a spring potentially failing. I checked Fiat recalls today, which as of this morning listed the spacer block and switch recall, but as of a few minutes ago there are no recalls listed there. Maybe they are updating. View attachment 90657
It's the same recall. The spacer block is to prevent over-travel from the clutch pedal. The potential result of the over-travel is damage to the clutch cover (pressure plate) diaphragm spring.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 192 Posts