Fiat 500 Forum banner
181 - 192 of 192 Posts

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
First time poster? Don't remember. Might as well add our terrible experience to the pile...

2012 500 Sport, 28.5K miles, dropped off to Herb Chambers in Danvers MA for clutch recall S34. Car was running fine. Picked up car, drove away ESC lights on next AM. Returned car, they reset the electronics, next AM rush hour wife is driving car on Rte 128 in Burlington, in passing lane, hears something funny, goes to move right, cannot downshift, car stalls. She gets to right-hand lane barely avoiding highway accident. Good Samaritan truck fortunately nearby pushes her to the side. AAA won't come. Police come, get a tow back to dealer 30 miles away.

Dealer pays for the tow, gives us a loaner. Eight days pass without a word. We visit to see finally. They didn't contact because 'swamped', had not even begun the work apparently. Claim that the pressure plate damaged and throwout bearing failing coincidental (!) and unrelated to the recall fix, which was 'only to the pedal'. Replaced disc-pressure plate and disc, and clutch release bearing.

Seems to be okay now but wife no longer trusts the car. Charge was $1400, but supposedly $1200 of this was covered by Fiat 'one-time goodwill repair', which supposedly has a $200 deductible which we paid.

Not a mechanic but my theory is the initial recall work was botched, the replacement diaphragm spring was not installed properly, the result being the exact event ('loss of motive power that could cause a crash without warning') the recall was supposed to avoid in the first place

I really like this car. Just got new tires. Again was running great prior to recall. It'll be the local road car til the spring when we will sell it. I suppose the dealer must claim the failure was coincidental to protect themselves from liability, in spite of it being patently ridiculous. This dealer does not care about Fiats, manager said they are doing Fiat a favor by servicing them at all, since the original studio nearby went out of business and the next closest dealers are in NH or in Milford MA.

We also have a Honda Fit with 122K miles, also a standard, still original clutch no problem.

All in all could have been much, much worse. What a pity. I would like to contact Fiat to see about that $200 as I suspect it's just the dealer wanting more money from the repair than Fiat thinks it's worth. The mgr at one point even suggested that we were fortunate to be getting a $1400 repair for only $200!
It might have been a wicked coincidence - it just that two events (pedal replacement and pressure plate failure) coincided, most likely. Meaning that the damage was probably done to the pressure plate before S34, that would be my guess. Now, about the $200. I would totally contest that. The recall notice clearly states that the FCA covers the issues related or caused by recall. At leas your dealer didn't try to blame you and rip you off, that seems like most FCA dealers' MO. The car is fine, no need to feel nervous about it, although I perfectly understand your wife's hesitation with it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
No post in this thread in a couple of years,seems odd, I am sorry to revive an old thread but I was wondering is this recall good forever? my local Chrysler dealer said they would replace the pedal assembly and switch, and if it looked like it had been stressed they would go ahead and put in a new clutch and pressure plate for free as well(he said they could use the work)
So my question is if your car fails without the recall work and they have to replace everything including clutch why not just drive the car and if it does ever fail you get a new clutch etc, if I replace it now my components may already be really worn out and when/if they ever fail I'm on the hook for replacement cost since I had the recall already.
2013 Pop 75k miles

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #184 ·
Since I started this thread, I'll comment.

I haven't gotten the the pedal stop installed. I've driven manual transmissions for 50 years and I know when the clutch is engaged. I don't need to floor the pedal in order to know that, so with my Fiat I shift quite a ways before the pedal travel ends at the floorboard. I have to imagine that my car won't develop the pressure plate failure as a result, but who knows. I like the way the clutch feels as it is. I'd rather not have some bozo mess with it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2015 500 Sport stuck at the dealership in OKC (I live in NC) with an overheated throwout bearing. 56K miles. I'm not a pedal rider. They say the throwout bearing caused the flywheel to overheat. They deny the possibility that it could remotely be an S34 recall issue, though the language of the recall suggests "other parts" of the transmission may be subject to wear if the travel limiter isn't put into place.

My VIN is covered by this recall and the other, but I never knew about it till I happened to see it on my credit report. The recall came out before I bought it used in 2019 w 35K miles on it.

They've dropped the transmission and are awaiting my next level of authorization. I have so far a $5100 estimate, and though CarMax (with whom I have an extended warranty) also thinks it should be covered under the first recall, the dealership is not budging. They say they have to fully repair the throwout bearing and rebuild the transmission before they can tell if the second recall is the problem. If it isn't I'm liable for the whole shebang.

Anyone have any guidance?

Below is the explanation from the dealership and a picture of the throwout bearing. I apologise for her all cap delivery :/
"HERE ARE THE PICTURES OF THE PRESSURE PLATE (CLUTCH COVER DIAPHRAM SPRING), RELEASE BEARING, AND FLYWHEEL. AS YOU CAN SEE THE PRESSURE PLATE IS INTACT WITH NO DAMAGE. THE RELEASE BEARING OVER HEATED CAUSING THE CLUTCH TO NOT DISENGAGE AND FAIL. THE LAST PICTURE IS THE FLYWHEEL. IT DOES HAVE SOME HEAT AND CHATTER MARKS. JUSTIN SAID TO THINK OF IT LIKE ROTORS. IT DOESN’T LOOK TERRIBLE, BUT THE MORE PRESSURE THAT IS APPLIED, THE MORE HEAT SPOTS AND CHATTER MARKS THERE WILL BE, UNTIL EVENTUALLY IT WILL NEED TO BE REPLACED AS WELL. SO, JUST KEEP THAT IN MIND. AND VISUALLY THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THE TRANSMISSION, BUT THE VEHICLE IS NOT DRIVEABLE WITHOUT THE CLUTCH, SO THIS WOULD NEED TO BE REPAIRED BEFORE HE CAN DRIVE THE VEHICLE TO CONFIRM THAT THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THE TRANSMISSION. JUSTIN IS PRETTY CONFIDENT THAT THERE IS NO FAILURE IN THE TRANSMISSION THAT COULD CAUSE THE THROWOUT BEARING TO FAIL."

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I have a 2015 500 Sport stuck at the dealership in OKC (I live in NC) with an overheated throwout bearing. 56K miles. I'm not a pedal rider. They say the throwout bearing caused the flywheel to overheat. They deny the possibility that it could remotely be an S34 recall issue, though the language of the recall suggests "other parts" of the transmission may be subject to wear if the travel limiter isn't put into place.

My VIN is covered by this recall and the other, but I never knew about it till I happened to see it on my credit report. The recall came out before I bought it used in 2019 w 35K miles on it.

They've dropped the transmission and are awaiting my next level of authorization. I have so far a $5100 estimate, and though CarMax (with whom I have an extended warranty) also thinks it should be covered under the first recall, the dealership is not budging. They say they have to fully repair the throwout bearing and rebuild the transmission before they can tell if the second recall is the problem. If it isn't I'm liable for the whole shebang.

Anyone have any guidance?

Below is the explanation from the dealership and a picture of the throwout bearing. I apologise for her all cap delivery :/
"HERE ARE THE PICTURES OF THE PRESSURE PLATE (CLUTCH COVER DIAPHRAM SPRING), RELEASE BEARING, AND FLYWHEEL. AS YOU CAN SEE THE PRESSURE PLATE IS INTACT WITH NO DAMAGE. THE RELEASE BEARING OVER HEATED CAUSING THE CLUTCH TO NOT DISENGAGE AND FAIL. THE LAST PICTURE IS THE FLYWHEEL. IT DOES HAVE SOME HEAT AND CHATTER MARKS. JUSTIN SAID TO THINK OF IT LIKE ROTORS. IT DOESN’T LOOK TERRIBLE, BUT THE MORE PRESSURE THAT IS APPLIED, THE MORE HEAT SPOTS AND CHATTER MARKS THERE WILL BE, UNTIL EVENTUALLY IT WILL NEED TO BE REPLACED AS WELL. SO, JUST KEEP THAT IN MIND. AND VISUALLY THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THE TRANSMISSION, BUT THE VEHICLE IS NOT DRIVEABLE WITHOUT THE CLUTCH, SO THIS WOULD NEED TO BE REPAIRED BEFORE HE CAN DRIVE THE VEHICLE TO CONFIRM THAT THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THE TRANSMISSION. JUSTIN IS PRETTY CONFIDENT THAT THERE IS NO FAILURE IN THE TRANSMISSION THAT COULD CAUSE THE THROWOUT BEARING TO FAIL."
Hi Erycina,
Can you send us a message with your VIN, dealer information, and the date you last spoke with your dealer? We would like to look into this for you.

Rob
Fiat Cares

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I pick up my new 2015 Sport tomorrow and noticed yesterday my VIN came up as part of the recall.
Hi ashleylose07,
Please feel free to contact us via private message if you need any assistance regarding your recall.

Rob
Fiat Cares

·
Registered
2 Posts
@FiatCares I need help, I had a dangerous encounter with my clutch pedal stuck to the floor. Doing research, stumbled on to this thread. Can you check if my car is on recall? Please help?

·
Registered
952 Posts
@NoC, in the even it may prove helpful:
My pedal went to the floor and stayed there once when my car was near new. First day out in spring, after winter storage. Fluid bypassed a seal internally, I think, which is something I’d experienced before with a prior vehicle using a hydraulic clutch. In the Abarth, I simply lifted the pedal back up with my toe. That prior vehicle was a toyota which had a nicked o-ring seal in the slave cylinder. By lifting the clutch pedal in the Fiat, or at that time anyway, it reset itself fluid pressure-wise, and has never failed again in the eight years since. I wondered it may have been related to the shuttle in the clutch delay valve hanging up as a possible cause since it is doubtful any seals were nicked at a few hundred miles.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I lifted it and the car starts, now pushing the clutch in again, it would not go in any gear. pressing the clutch down again and it's stuck again. No leaks on the ground, the reservoir is not low. It must be leaking internally like you said. How is this not included in the clutch recall? @FiatCares

@NoC, in the even it may prove helpful:
My pedal went to the floor and stayed there once when my car was near new. First day out in spring, after winter storage. Fluid bypassed a seal internally, I think, which is something I’d experienced before with a prior vehicle using a hydraulic clutch. In the Abarth, I simply lifted the pedal back up with my toe. That prior vehicle was a toyota which had a nicked o-ring seal in the slave cylinder. By lifting the clutch pedal in the Fiat, or at that time anyway, it reset itself fluid pressure-wise, and has never failed again in the eight years since. I wondered it may have been related to the shuttle in the clutch delay valve hanging up as a possible cause since it is doubtful any seals were nicked at a few hundred miles.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I lifted it and the car starts, now pushing the clutch in again, it would not go in any gear. pressing the clutch down again and it's stuck again. No leaks on the ground, the reservoir is not low. It must be leaking internally like you said. How is this not included in the clutch recall? @FiatCares
The first answer to your last question: Stellantis, the new parent company for Fiat, has narrowed the circumstances under which they will cover clutch problems under the recall - to ONLY cover the recall if the spring breaks. Internal docs I have seen say “DO NOT perform the recall if …spring is not broken” and plainly threaten dealerships with a practiced policy of non-reimbursement if they do.
Second answer - from your description it sounds like it should be. My recommendation, after dealing with a dealership and Stellantis for almost two months over a very similar issue: pay for the repairs and bring your complaint to the NHTSA - Report a Safety Problem | NHTSA

The original language, parts list and instructions in the full recall includes recognition that “damage to other components” may occur if the recall isn’t performed. It’s this key part of the recall - and the specific parts list “some vehicles” will need to have replaced - that Stellantis is sidestepping with their internal communications narrowing what they will cover. It’s a headache, but might be a fruitful one. You aren’t the only one experiencing this, and the more ppl who bring it to the NHTSA, the more chance we’ll have of getting it resolved and reimbursed. Good luck.

181 - 192 of 192 Posts