Fiat 500 Forum banner
101 - 120 of 192 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
Well, some relatively small percentage anyway, depending on how the tolerance stacks up. (I mentioned the tolerance stackup earlier.)

Also, since it's fatigue related, there's going to be a distribution of failure times (the worst offenders fail by 10k miles, some make take 50k miles to fail, some aren't affected at all, etc.)

The tricky part is, if you've already used up (for instance) 98% of your fatigue life, and then they install the mod kit, will Fiat consider themselves absolved if the part fails 6 months later?

·
Banned
4,743 Posts
Don't know but for the vast majority of us who have plunger extension within specifications, we never fatigued our pressure plates and don't need the new part anyway.

Tedolph

·
Registered
513 Posts
This is a tricky one though, we don't have the numbers reported, we don't know what percentage of the cars are actually affected. And also, I hate to say this, but you just never know when or if it hits - we started originally suspecting substandard pressure plates were to blame, but we know that's not the case. This makes it really difficult for us to assume that it will happen to some cars and not to some others, and question is why some are affected and some aren't (let's not bring up who's bad with clutch and who's not, a lot of us affected at least on this forum have been driving manual trans for our entire lives without any problems as such).
Although the problem is related to clutch pedal plunge tolerance, it is directly affected by each individual driving style, if you push your pedal all the way to the firewall every-time you change gears, chances are you will have this problem earlier, if you know when the clutch attaches and disengages and push the pedal close within those limits, your pressure plate may last the life of the clutch although this is tricky as it can hurt the synchros.

To be extremely clear, I'm not saying this design problem can be blamed on the driver, both styles can be right.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Don't know but for the vast majority of us who have plunger extension within specifications, we never fatigued our pressure plates and don't need the new part anyway.

Tedolph
You don't really know what percentage of cars will eventually exhibit the problem. It could be most of them.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I've got 52k on my original clutch. The driver has a lot to do with this failure. The number of start and stop events likely also plays in. That's about the only time the pedal needs to be floored.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have just bought my 2014 500 about 1month ago. I had closest dealer to me tell me today that they are told that parts should start arriving around Nov 5th. And (get this) repair should take 2 days!!

·
Banned
4,743 Posts
I have just bought my 2014 500 about 1month ago. I had closest dealer to me tell me today that they are told that parts should start arriving around Nov 5th. And (get this) repair should take 2 days!!
Two days!

Sigh.

Just give me the parts and I will do it myself.

Tedolph

·
Registered
225 Posts
Well i would hope they'll be handing out loaners for those 2 days....

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2012 Sport, so I also received the recall notice early in the summer. I am currently a 4th year mechanical engineering student at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, and would like to do a mechanical design project on the failure of the clutch diaphragm spring and how to prevent it. Those of you who have had this issue, do you have pictures of the part and how it failed? Could you post those in here? I would also love it if I could have a physical part that failed, but I realize that may be asking a little much.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I have a 2012 Sport, so I also received the recall notice early in the summer. I am currently a 4th year mechanical engineering student at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, and would like to do a mechanical design project on the failure of the clutch diaphragm spring and how to prevent it. Those of you who have had this issue, do you have pictures of the part and how it failed? Could you post those in here? I would also love it if I could have a physical part that failed, but I realize that may be asking a little much.
i wish I have the part or at least a picture. I casually asked for the parts, but I was told that they would be sent for analysis, and I forgot to take pictures of it. Mine wasn't bent as such, one of the pressure plate fingers just snapped off completely. When it happened, I even heard it, and confirmed my suspicion when I saw the part. I was amused.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I spoke with my dealer today while getting my oil changed. They have the parts to do the recall work. I will take it in next Friday since I have the day off. The repair takes 2 hours, according to them. He said they have to change out the whole clutch pedal assembly, and from the sounds of it, may even include the hydraulics end of it (he said even the battery comes out which makes no sense to me, but... whatever). If I get a chance I'll take some pictures while they're working on it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Got my recall notice yesterday, 11-14-16. Called my Fiat Studio today, I have an appointment next week for warranty work and was hoping I could get squeezed in. They said it consists of a new pedal assembly and switch. I'll have to schedule another day to have it done.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I'll probably get my notice the day after the local dealer closes their doors for good :(

·
Registered
12 Posts
got my notice today, says its a two hour job, where FIAT will install a clutch pedal assembly with travel limiter and a clutch pedal switch

101 - 120 of 192 Posts