Fiat 500 Forum banner
121 - 140 of 192 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
I got the Recall S34 work done Friday. I couldn't get any pictures of the parts, but the whole clutch pedal assembly, including hydraulics, was replaced. The apparent difference is compared to the old part, the new part has a different pedal and a different stop built in. It is a much more distinctive stop that you can actually hear (hard plastic tapping on hard plastic). It's rather annoying at first but I got used to it pretty quickly and now it's normal to me.

The clutch feel is very similar. The difference is that, with the stop, the bottom of the travel is a little higher than it used to be, and as a result the range over which the clutch is engaged/disengaged is lower compared to the bottom of travel. The reason people don't like it is that muscle memory has to be retrained. The coordination between clutch foot and accelerator foot is a little different. If the clutch is released as quickly from the bottom of travel as previously, with no change to the the accelerator pedal operation, the car will stall.

When driving back from the dealer and for the rest of that day, I was careful and had no problems. I was feeling pretty good about myself, then the next day I stalled it twice in traffic. I'm getting better now as my feet are getting recalibrated. The release point being closer to the floor is actually easier for me; I just have to get used to it.

·
Registered
518 Posts
In the recall, Fiat claims they will reimburse you if you had to replace your clutch assy as a result of their poor design. My pressure plate broke at 40000 miles. Since I have a business that specializes in Fiats, I did the repair myself. Fiat is now refusing to reimburse me. This repair cost me the same as if I paid someone to do it. I tied up a rack for 2 days and spent 6 hrs of my work time to replace the clutch. Fiat really doesn't care. This is what happens when you let Mopar people infiltrate a foreign company. It's really no surprise Chrys has been bailed out twice by the federal government

·
Registered
852 Posts
In the recall, Fiat claims they will reimburse you if you had to replace your clutch assy as a result of their poor design. My pressure plate broke at 40000 miles. Since I have a business that specializes in Fiats, I did the repair myself. Fiat is now refusing to reimburse me. This repair cost me the same as if I paid someone to do it. I tied up a rack for 2 days and spent 6 hrs of my work time to replace the clutch. Fiat really doesn't care. This is what happens when you let Mopar people infiltrate a foreign company. It's really no surprise Chrys has been bailed out twice by the federal government
I think that whole bolded statement is a projection of your personal biases and has little or no basis in fact.

·
Registered
13,454 Posts
I believe to receive any kind of refund from the manufacture. That's any brand out there. The procedure would have had to preform at authorize Fiat dealership. Whether your skilled at doing maintenance or not. If fact in most cases, preforming major service on a vehicle yourself, can void the warranty.

·
Registered
852 Posts
My studio is already out of repair parts. I'm "on the list."
I had that concern when I asked about getting the work done. They said I didn't need a formal appointment, to just bring the car in. But in the back of my mind I was thinking you better not run out of parts! It worked out well though- they said would take two hours and it took less than an hour and half. The service manager said their time to do the mod came down quite a bit after the first couple. I was probably better off not being the guinea pig.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Drive it a while before you pass judgment. I've had it 5 days now and I've decided I like this much better than the old setup, which in my opinion released the clutch too far from the bottom. Now the release position is just right. For the first day or two though.... I kind of hated it.

·
Registered
487 Posts
The service manager said their time to do the mod came down quite a bit after the first couple. I was probably better off not being the guinea pig.
Yeah. That happens fast. Back in the day when I was still a tech, there was a certain Ford heater core that failed often. The job came in at 9.5 hours, if the car had AC. I could do it in 2 after the first couple. The first one did take all 9.5.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I got the Recall S34 work done Friday. I couldn't get any pictures of the parts, but the whole clutch pedal assembly, including hydraulics, was replaced. The apparent difference is compared to the old part, the new part has a different pedal and a different stop built in. It is a much more distinctive stop that you can actually hear (hard plastic tapping on hard plastic). It's rather annoying at first but I got used to it pretty quickly and now it's normal to me.

The clutch feel is very similar. The difference is that, with the stop, the bottom of the travel is a little higher than it used to be, and as a result the range over which the clutch is engaged/disengaged is lower compared to the bottom of travel. The reason people don't like it is that muscle memory has to be retrained. The coordination between clutch foot and accelerator foot is a little different. If the clutch is released as quickly from the bottom of travel as previously, with no change to the the accelerator pedal operation, the car will stall.

When driving back from the dealer and for the rest of that day, I was careful and had no problems. I was feeling pretty good about myself, then the next day I stalled it twice in traffic. I'm getting better now as my feet are getting recalibrated. The release point being closer to the floor is actually easier for me; I just have to get used to it.

I got to see the old peddle assembly that the tech replaced in my 500, no hydraulics were replaced. I assuming your talking about slave cylinder for clutch. Don't think that was part of recall. Nothing shown to me and nothing listed on repair invoice.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yeah. That happens fast. Back in the day when I was still a tech, there was a certain Ford heater core that failed often. The job came in at 9.5 hours, if the car had AC. I could do it in 2 after the first couple. The first one did take all 9.5.

Yea, I was a flat rate tech for MB for years before I retired. In the early years of the 190E MB has a recall on the AC It included the hoses, evaporator, condenser, expansion valve. It paid 16.2 hours, after the 1st few it could be done including Evac and recharge in just over 7 hours. But the 1st ones were a learning experience.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I got to see the old peddle assembly that the tech replaced in my 500, no hydraulics were replaced. I assuming your talking about slave cylinder for clutch. Don't think that was part of recall. Nothing shown to me and nothing listed on repair invoice.
Not sure, but they said they do have to crack into the hydraulics.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I just called a dealer - was told it'll take all day. And they are so booked with this recall that my appointment is 2 weeks away.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Drive it a while before you pass judgment. I've had it 5 days now and I've decided I like this much better than the old setup, which in my opinion released the clutch too far from the bottom. Now the release position is just right. For the first day or two though.... I kind of hated it.
You're right.. kinda.
I wouldn't say that I "Like" it more, but I certainly don't hate it as much.
I have decided that I still dislike the feeling of the plastickey tap when the travel limit is reached. Maybe it was this way all along, but I hadn't noticed it until now.
I would still like it to be stiffer.

·
Registered
852 Posts
See, I don't notice the plastic tap at all anymore. And I prefer the less stiff feel- it seems easier to find the slip point. But if you prefer the stiffer pedal, I can understand not liking the new setup.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Forgive me if this has been answered, I didn't see it.

Has anyone had success getting their $ if they had the repair done before the recall?

My clutch went out at 29k miles in February. We paid $1200+ to get it repaired. We had it done at the Fiat dealership we bought from. We have submitted all our paperwork and stuff.

I'm really hoping we will get that $ back, but I'm nervous that they are going to find some way to screw us over.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Just got mine replaced today, took 2.5 hours.

The aftermath...very little resistance in the pedal; it goes right to the stop. I don't hear any plastic-on-plastic noise at all. When I get to the stop, it's just very spongy, like I've just encountered a piece of stiff foam rubber.

The pedal, if forced, will continue to travel to the floor, but a person would have to really put some effort into to get it to that point.

121 - 140 of 192 Posts