Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fiat is currently selling more 500's than Mini and it's Cooper, now that's something to brag about. Never expected the Fiat 500 to do so great especially since it's a totally new car and has no history.

In a piece of copy published by that infamous New York paper, the story reads that the new 500 ".

..essentially matched the sales of its chief competition, the Mini Cooper..."

A couple of things, briefly:

1) MINI, not Mini

2) The 500 actually sold MORE than the Cooper if you discount the 600 or so Countryman pseudo sport-utility vehicles.

Some may say that this means that Fiat is ahead of the game but there's one thing that has to be considered. Is this merely a fashion trend?

If you haven't noticed, Fiat has been cozying up the 500 to just about anything related to fashion. Its dealerships are known as "studios" and it will be debuting the Fiat 500 Gucci Edition at New York's Fashion Week.

This could be a genius marketing move or a total fail because in fashion what's here today is gone tomorrow. In other words, the 500 flame could be extinguished in one fell swoop.

What say you, Spies? Has Fiat hit the nail on the head with the 500 and it's off to a great start, or is it merely a trend that will pass by as the next year or two go by?

Fiat, the Italian auto company, is getting a rare second chance to make a good first impression among American car buyers. And unlike the disastrous end to its first go-round decades ago, the carmaker has already managed to create a buzz...

...The company’s new “500” hatchback is being welcomed, in the words of one analyst, as a “fashion statement” among many new car buyers. Last month, the teeny car, whose trim lines include “Pop” and “Lounge,” essentially matched the sales of its chief competition, the Mini Cooper...

·
Registered
453 Posts
If it wasn't so **** fun to drive, I'd say it was just a fashion statement. Fortunately, it's both.

Cars have always been fashion statements anyway. What some love, others hate. I think there will always be people who love the look of the Fiat, and fall even deeper in love when they drive it. And there will always be people who hate it and laugh at it, never even giving it the chance. That's ok... we'll show them next time we meet them at a stop light. ;-)

·
Registered
614 Posts
Actually it's only new to the North America...the same essential version is one of the most popular cars in Europe.

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
I would like to be able to compare apples to apples, but I'm not convinced this is the case. I know for a fact that FIAT has sold/delivered many 500's as 'fleet sales'. how many of the MINI's were 'fleet sales'?

overall sales......yes, but 'retail' sales like to you and me? I would like to see those numbers before we start patting ourselves on the back. ;)

·
Registered
614 Posts
I would like to be able to compare apples to apples, but I'm not convinced this is the case. I know for a fact that FIAT has sold/delivered many 500's as 'fleet sales'. how many of the MINI's were 'fleet sales'?

overall sales......yes, but 'retail' sales like to you and me? I would like to see those numbers before we start patting ourselves on the back. ;)
Yeah, but those fleet vehicles are moving billboards.

·
Registered
75 Posts
A thought came to mind earlier today. "I hope the Fiat isn't like the Pontiac Fiero, or the Saturn. These cars were revered, then within a few years, they were gone. A little longer for Saturn. I dearly hope that the Fiat can make it and get past the Honeymoon stage. Fashion is fashion, but some fashions should have never been, e.g., Leisure Suits. I think the Fiat's got a great start and I'm waiting to see how it unfolds with the forthcoming safety tests and the first 'issues' that are for now, unknown. How will the warranties hold up, the customers, the 'studios', the infrastructure of the dealerships/with Fiat, the parts costs, and so on. A lot to see and a lot to look at as it relates to how this new car, the Fiat can make it, or be gone in a few years, a flash in the pan as it were..hope not.

·
Registered
475 Posts
The Fiero looked quick but was slow. The 500 looks slow but is a spirited ride; it packs a surprise.
Saturn simply failed to innovate.
What we need to fear is the global economy and FIAT quality...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts