Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

One recent discussion taking place at Autoguide HQ was how long it's been since we've driven a car that was truly worth a bad review. Most cars these days are pretty good, and the true stinkers are few and far between.

The other side of the coin is that competition for your dollars is fierce, and manufacturers literally cannot afford to sell a bad car anymore. So when a car is truly bad (or outdated), we won't hesitate to let you know. One Italian outlet did just that, and might have to pay the price for airing their opinions.

One Italian automotive TV show did just that, slamming the Alfa Romeo MiTo as a "inferior" machine when compared to the MINI Cooper S and Citroen DS3, two seriously good cars in their own right. Alfa Romeo's parent company FIAT is planning to sue AnnoZero, the show in question, for damages relating to "highly defamatory" statements.

While Italy has a notoriously flimsy judiciary (and FIAT's status as a hugely respected corporate entity also carries lots of weight), these poor schmucks might just get fined. Certainly, this flagrant abuse of the judicial system would never fly in the United States – the PR staff would just ban the journalists from the press fleet or threaten to stop inviting them to lavish junkets, and you can bet on immediate capitulation from the scorned scribes.

More: Fiat Sues Journalist Over Negative Review on AutoGuide.com

·
Registered
393 Posts
I don't agree with what Fiat did. Not something to sue over, an opinion. But these days people will sue over anything. It sucks for the media outlet that has to deal with being sued. I wonder how much much they will have to shell out for this.

·
Super Moderator
1,385 Posts
I think it depends on how influential the reviewer is. In the U.S.A., if a group like Consumer Reports says a product is trash, that is a death sentence. So if the reviewer is influential, my question would be, how can they support the judgement of badness? Something as complicated as a modern automobile, I don't know how you can determine it is really bad based on a few tests and a couple test drives. Unless there is a smoking gun, like the brakes failed, and the car crashed, or something obvious like that.

·
Registered
54 Posts
is not automotive TV show! is a politic show!!
is all politics. Now is the time of hate to Fiat. because he wants to change the Italian industrial system working. Annozero is a destructive show of extreme left, which broadcasts only hate.
they went wrong this time too, because even his audience on blogs do not agree and are disgusted for that.

sorry for my english...it's google translate :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
is not automotive TV show! is a politic show!!
is all politics. Now is the time of hate to Fiat. because he wants to change the Italian industrial system working. Annozero is a destructive show of extreme left, which broadcasts only hate.
they went wrong this time too, because even his audience on blogs do not agree and are disgusted for that.

sorry for my english...it's google translate :)
Politics & Money!

Can't blame Fiat for doing this, if i were in their shoes i would end up suing over that. This is Fiats grand return to the markets with the new Fiat 500, they started good already and are going at a good pace. Reviews need to choose their words properly, sometimes an opinion may come off as slander. just saying....

·
Registered
54 Posts
Politics & Money!

Can't blame Fiat for doing this, if i were in their shoes i would end up suing over that. This is Fiats grand return to the markets with the new Fiat 500, they started good already and are going at a good pace. Reviews need to choose their words properly, sometimes an opinion may come off as slander. just saying....
exactly. But the fact is absurd because Mito won the confrontation at the end!
they have mounted a video to show that the Mito is not fast as other two cars (as if the goodness of a car can be seen only by the speed), omitting the fact that ESP can not be disabled on Mito for safety.
also does not say that the laps were done with different weather conditions with rain for Mito.
Fiat says, "it was a televised artificially connected to a comparative test conducted in the spring season, not with the same cars from Quattroruote and then published in the monthly numbers of last June of this magazine." Also according to the Turin, "incredibly the show has not said that the global assessment of Quattroruote, resulting from the comparison of data on technical performance, safety and comfort, the Alfa Romeo MiTo gave Quadrifoglio version in (1368 cm3) a score higher than the Citroën DS3 THP (1598 cm3) and the Mini Cooper S (1598 cm3).

it's only to denigrate Fiat..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts