Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Hi

This article seems kind of misleading to me, since, as I understand it, not all 130 dealerships were open last month. I know that when I bought my car (over the Memorial Day Weekend), I was specifically told that I couldn't actually do the paperwork on it till the 1st of June, since the dealership wasn't officially allowed to do sales until then. (They were able to show the car, and give test drives, and take deposits, but not do actual sales).

I'm curious, as of last month, how many dealerships were actually open and able to do sales?

Regards

Pat

·
Registered
13,461 Posts
Our 1st dealership wouldn't let me buy a car till the end of July. They had to finish the studio first, before Fiat would let them sell cars.

Now we have 2 dealerships in town. We were at the new one Saturday, They had 2 cars sold that day.

I did notice on our 1st dealer lot. There still 60-70 sitting on the lot. A lot of same ones, when I bought my car. I bet you can get a really good deal on a 500, right now.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I could see that happening.. If, as the dealership I bought is an example, they had been given 75 percent of the cars where slushboxes.. When I bought mine, a manual, they only had 6 left and tons of the autos. BAD research in the US market.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
I could see that happening.. If, as the dealership I bought is an example, they had been given 75 percent of the cars where slushboxes.. When I bought mine, a manual, they only had 6 left and tons of the autos. BAD research in the US market.
there are manuals littered all over the place in every region of the country. there are enough cars. the fact is, for a variety of reasons, people are not buying this car.

besides, beyond the enthusiast and those of us who can drive manuals, the majority sold will still be automatics.

i think putting in a better auto transmission to get the mpg rating up to par would help alot.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
there are manuals littered all over the place in every region of the country. there are enough cars. the fact is, for a variety of reasons, people are not buying this car.

besides, beyond the enthusiast and those of us who can drive manuals, the majority sold will still be automatics.

i think putting in a better auto transmission to get the mpg rating up to par would help alot.
They need a 10 speed auto

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
the 'initial' release of non-PE cars were a good mix of manuals-automatics.

HOWEVER after that, it was said that they were producing 80% of the 500's for the U.S. market with the 6sp Aisin Automatic. although I bought the auto, I still think their decision to make less manuals was a mistake.

but I don't think you can point your finger at just one issue for the reason the 500's are not selling. marketing, or LACK OF IT at the intial launch was HUGE! BIG MISTAKE.

the reason why there was no advertising? one was that FIAT had decided to wait for more Studios to open (a slap in the face to those who busted their butts and opened ON TIME) and then it was the decision to start the 'initial launch' on the 4th of July Holiday as it would conincide with the July 4th reintroduction launch that occurred in Europe in, I believe, 2007.

of course you had production issues, distribution problems, etc, etc......and it all adds up. THEN add to that the mindset of many Americans that small cars are not safe and the 'need' of having a big 4dr sedan for one person to drive to and from work......its just more than the makers of our 500 can handle.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts