Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
825 Posts
I much prefer the 500 -- it's why I held out so long for one instead of getting a Mini years ago. I especially like the classic, no frills look of the exterior. It just politely says, "I'm classy, I know it, so I don't have to push it on you. Ciao."

The interior on the Mini is a disaster, IMO. When I went out to test drive one a few years ago, it never made it that far. I got behind the wheel and after about five minutes of checking out knobs and switches, I had to get back out. There was no way at all I was getting used to that mess.

To each their own, though, I know there are a lot of Mini owners on here, and beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I owned a Mini Clubman and loved it. The interior dash layout though does take time understand. First time I drove it, the dash was distracting. I really enjoy the looks of both cars but find the Fiat interior more functional and easier to use. I am back in the market for a fun car and it is between these two.

·
Registered
13,460 Posts
I like both cars a lot. The Mini is so $$$$$$$$$$. The Mini has a nice stance to it. The Mini also has a nice choice of larger wheels. The Mini interior to me is to confusing, and busy. I like the clean line of the 500. You get a lot of car for the money with the 500. Thats why I bought the Fiat.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I got my Fiat in Oct and my other half got a Mini shortly after. I was going to get a mini however the Mini dealer acted as though they didn't want to sell me a car. Incredibly rude. I've experienced this with all 3 of the nearby dealers. Trying to get service or even a call back form the Mini dealers have been a pain. Still waiting to have a timing chain issue on the Mini to be resolved. Now a major recall due to a cooling pump fire issue. The Fiat dealer however was super friendly. Service has been quick and painless. They call back and followup. I've even gotten emails from my sales guy to check in time to time.

For the money and service reasons I like the Fiat more. All the features I wanted and about 7 grand cheaper. They both have cheap interiors, however all cars are now this way. The Fiat may have less horse power however I've had no mechanic issues with my Fiat as of yet and the Mini has.

I must say thought we both love our cars. It is like have best of both worlds. I however always joke that my Fiat has space in the boot.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Mini Motor vehicle

·
Registered
42 Posts
I just don't enjoy driving the Mini as much as the Fiat. I have had cars that are technically superior but just a bore to actually drive. This is not to say the Mini is boring, but something about the Fiat 500 puts me in a good mood and occasionally encourages little bouts of mischief in a way the Mini just can't.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just don't enjoy driving the Mini as much as the Fiat. I have had cars that are technically superior but just a bore to actually drive. This is not to say the Mini is boring, but something about the Fiat 500 puts me in a good mood and occasionally encourages little bouts of mischief in a way the Mini just can't.
Exactly and I'm 6 foot and have no issues with space with the fiat , driving the mini I felt so constricted ! I find any excuse to drive around in the fiat now lol

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I had an '04 Cooper S and belong to the largest MINI club on the west coast- MINI's build quality is crap. They are either really good or really bad- mostly bad. You play a serious game of Russian roulette when you buy one.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I looked seriously into the MINI before I bought the Fiat.
but then again, I was specifically looking for different - I own a Charger and around here you cant throw a rock without hitting half a dozen of them - I wanted something I wouldnt see 50 of every day... you know, the ability to say "hey, there goes a Fiat!"
(In retrospect, maybe not the best business decision I ever made tho)
Around here MINIs are really common too (big, active club too) but they just dont really do anything for me. It was pretty fun to drive, but I am not a BMW fan and we dont work on Euro cars in my shop, so when I drove the Fiat (and saw the Chrysler sticker on the door) I just signed the papers.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had an '04 Cooper S and belong to the largest MINI club on the west coast- MINI's build quality is crap. They are either really good or really bad- mostly bad. You play a serious game of Russian roulette when you buy one.
Really Tavis? MOSTLY BAD? honestly, of all the people you know in SCMM, they all have MOSTLY BAD MINIs? We all know you had a horrible experience with your car excaberated by the notoriously terrible dealer network in southern California BUT you have been ringing the "ALL MINIs are terrible becuase I had a bad one" bell all over the internet for years now-but MOSTLY BAD? my 05S has 92,000 HARD miles on it-15% pulley/cai/software/catback since 4000 miles....1 oil pan gasket at 70k, lower arm bushings at the same time-one crank pulley at 75k. I Know of at least 4 dozen MINI owners personally who DID NOT have your experience, but the same as or better than mine-I think the MOSTLY BAD might be overstating your case a bit...... I am looking forward to adding an Abarth to my stable now that my S is paid for, and I will hopefully get to jump in this year sometime and if it is a horrible pos I will do what most folks do-trade it or sell it and move on. I know you got a CR-Z and those are cool as ****-- You should consider moving on mentally-just sayin.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Really Tavis? MOSTLY BAD? honestly, of all the people you know in SCMM, they all have MOSTLY BAD MINIs? We all know you had a horrible experience with your car excaberated by the notoriously terrible dealer network in southern California BUT you have been ringing the "ALL MINIs are terrible becuase I had a bad one" bell all over the internet for years now-but MOSTLY BAD? my 05S has 92,000 HARD miles on it-15% pulley/cai/software/catback since 4000 miles....1 oil pan gasket at 70k, lower arm bushings at the same time-one crank pulley at 75k. I Know of at least 4 dozen MINI owners personally who DID NOT have your experience, but the same as or better than mine-I think the MOSTLY BAD might be overstating your case a bit...... I am looking forward to adding an Abarth to my stable now that my S is paid for, and I will hopefully get to jump in this year sometime and if it is a horrible pos I will do what most folks do-trade it or sell it and move on. I know you got a CR-Z and those are cool as ****-- You should consider moving on mentally-just sayin.
Isn't this interesting......

I have never said "ALL". In fact I always say "There is some either really good ones..." The extreme that my MINI was was not common but you know as well as I do there where plenty that did have trouble- heck even my 71 Mini is better than the '04. You got one of the good ones- good for you. So did George, and Bridgett and a few others. But I all so seen Joanna having to turn in Woodstock under the lemon law, Evie with her chronic clutch problems, and other chronic problems like strut towers and a like. Even during Mikey's funeral precision we had two MINI's take a dump. Every Time I start to turn around and start thinking MINI again I see things like the death rattle in the R56 and now the fires from the turbo cooling circuit. It seams I have heard and seen more bad than good. I can think of just as many that did have problems.

The only time I bring up MINI is when there is threads like this or if someone asks me "Why?". I still love MINI and wish I could return but after ten years it is still to risky especially when the nearest dealer is two hours away and as you have stated, the network is rather lacking.

Yes, you do know me most of these folks don't. I have moved on. I have not started a thread about anything MINI except about when there was possibility of engine fires again because I wanted to warn people of the danger. There has been many threads I have passed up including on SCMM's club forum because I have moved on. All I have done is relayed my experience when the topic arises.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Isn't this interesting......

I have never said "ALL". In fact I always say "There is some either really good ones..." .
to be fair, he was contending in his post that saying mostly bad wasnt fair...and in fact you did say mostly bad.

i have 3 friends with mini's who have had little trouble all at over 70k.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I have a friend that has the s mini. He has had clutch problems, electrical issues, and the heat from the turbo is melting the scoop on the hood. Not to mention it over heats if your sitting idle to long. In all respect I'm not bashing the car, I still think its cool and is a nice handling car. However with that price tag it scares me away fast. All said he still loves the car, and as long as you love what you have it dosent matter what anyone else thinks IMO

Yikes:

(CBS News) BMW announced on Monday the recall of nearly 89,000 of its Mini and Mini Cooper cars in U.S. and more than 235,000 worldwide.
The company said a water pump that cools the turbocharger in some models has a circuit board that can malfunction and overheat.

"In an extreme case this overheating can lead to a smoldering of the water pump and eventually can create a vehicle fire," said BMW spokeswoman Nathalie Bauters.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Well i had to chime in, I have a Purple Haze 2005 Cooper (no S) with just shy of 79k. Power to weight feels similar to my 2012 500c, MINI might have the edge (all seat of the pants, no science here).

Both are fun. My MINI has not burned up - primary cause of that in my model year (earlier ones had stoopid fan wiring) is a jammed cooling fan strategically placed under the car to suck up road dirt. After market but OEM parts were available - shouldn't have to do that but did cause otherwise the car with minor mods (camber plates and poly front bushing) is a hoot and yes, stoopid motor mount design has to be watched for etc but generally the car has been good. It's not "toyota" good whatever that now means these days.

For the Fiat I spec'ed the car to make it as retro looking as it could for being a modern reincarnation - ie it's really quite red :) but it's how all the examples were I found that were also red. This car is also great fun but I'll admit I'm thinking hard about mild suspension tweaks because when I go from Hazel to Dot I'm afraid I'll put her upside down :)

One more note, I personally do not find the current MINIs that nice to look at - the face isn't quite the same due to pedestrian crash standards, and the interior center pie-pan display seems twice my car's size.

Point being both have their followings and we're not likely going to change anyone's mind either way. For me, having the choice of 2 fun little cars which are easy on gas, parking spots, etc couldn't be better.

Dot in all her reddness: http://youtu.be/xaI1fC7m4kk

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Panther did you say something? I have you blocked so I can't read your posts. I am sure it is more or less more psychobabble. Please move on with your obsession with me it is not healthy for you chassing me around the internet tryin to be funny and witty. Get some mental help, your not well. What a pitty you have no one or nothing better to do. They make medication for what you have. Heard of Prozac?
?? Huh ?? Cant we all just get along in the sandbox ?

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I got an idea. Anybody have any idea how make an Internet stalker with case of Aggressive Narcissism?

OOPS! Typed to fast and it wont let me edit. That is supposed to read;

"I got an idea. Anybody have any idea how make an Internet stalker with case of Aggressive Narcissism leave you alone?"

1 - 20 of 40 Posts