·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Me thinks I like! :D

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
ok, did I miss the text that mentions the gain?

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok, did I miss the text that mentions the gain?
There is a graphic toward the end of the video that shows the horespower gain. Has a nice sound to it - seems to be a bit less harsh than the Magnaflow. For me driving mostly highway during the week back and forth to work this is a plus.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
There is a graphic toward the end of the video that shows the horespower gain. Has a nice sound to it - seems to be a bit less harsh than the Magnaflow. For me driving mostly highway during the week back and forth to work this is a plus.
lol, I know, I just couldn't make it out on my phone

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Too raspy, High pitch for myself (Too each their own) Never the less does your high flow cat still fit a stock system? Pretty sure there is a market for it. I would buy.
Afraid I'm with you on this one. At least my ear perceives the sound the same way.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think that the tone is going to vary wildly depending on the speakers you have producing the sound. It sounds incredible on my laptop (with bass) but awful on my phone. I'm pretty sure I'll be plunking down money on one of these post holiday - after my wallet heals a bit! :D

·
Registered
117 Posts
I think this exhaust looks and sounds pretty nice - I don't think I necessarily love the price, but it appears reasonable compared to others on the market. I think I may end up waiting to get any exhaust until they begin dropping into the $500 range.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
71 Posts
anyone contact Tubi or Akrapovic for a non A500/Abarth exhaust? I have tried to hit up Akra but they said they have no intentions but that was when I picked up my Bella [Aug '11]
Knowing how much their systems normally cost, I can't imagine there's a huge drawn within the Non-Abarth market.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I received an amzing invitation to drive this car. Well, let me (a not-yet owner of a Fiat) say a couple of things. I called Alvon (the owner) and he graciously allowed me (and my son) to come visit and check out and drive his white, Borla-ized P.E. 500 that is the star of the show in the video. I GREATLY enjoyed doing an extended drive on town streets, back roads and highways, and on the freeway in his car. We had me (190lbs), my son (180 lbs) and Alvon (I won't guess his svelte weight) all in the car, and yet it pulled nicely and sounded great. The Borla is totally right for that car sonically; it talks but does not yell. The tone is excellent and sounds like a proper Italian (Mexican?) car. It felt stronger to me than the Fiat I test drove a few weeks ago, also with my son in the car AND a salesman from the Thousand Oaks Fiat dealer, a similar load to what we did with Alvon's car. I think that with just me or with my skinny wife in tow, acceleration would then REALLY be more than adequate.

I have a pretty powerful car now, a 335i whose lease is ending in March, but frankly most of the time I upshift to lower revs and putt around. Sure I hit it now and then, but mostly rely on its supreme low-rpm torque. As competent and wonderful as it is, the Fiat is more fun and costs one third of what an equivalent BMW would. I have some tough decisions to make, and Alvon made it tougher with his wonderful little car.

Borla did a great job with this exhaust (I have had many modded cars, trucks, and motorcycles); it is just right. It will be on my for-sure list if I pull the trigger on a 500. It is entertaining on the outside, noticeable but unobtrusive on the inside, and makes the car peppier. I believe that Alvon says he's getting a bit better mileage now, too. His gauge showed 42 mpg.

And Alvon was an incredible host, letting a complete stranger drive his car. He also showed us and started up his beautiful red 124.

Thanks a LOT, Alvon! Nice car, nice person, nice exhaust.

·
Registered
962 Posts
My personal experience with Borla on my 1994 Miata was absolutaly terrible. It made my car drone so much my ears hurt. I had to remove it, sell it for half price and go back to stock. Hopefully this Borla doesn't do this with the Fiat 500. Moral of the story - keep your original exhaust...just in case you don't like it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
My personal experience with Borla on my 1994 Miata was absolutaly terrible. It made my car drone so much my ears hurt. I had to remove it, sell it for half price and go back to stock. Hopefully this Borla doesn't do this with the Fiat 500. Moral of the story - keep your original exhaust...just in case you don't like it.
No drone AT ALL on this exhaust.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.