Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From http://www.abarth-scagliarini.com/#!tuning

"FIATuned with Scagliarini Motorsports. The Most Powerful ECU Program Coming Soon.

TAPPA¹ ECU Program 115Hp 145Nm $750*

TAPPA² ECU + BMC Air Filter + CDA 120Hp 155Nm** $1,250*

TAPPA³ ECU + Air Delivery + Exhaust 125Hp+ 165Nm** $2,250*

* Save $250 by pre-ordering before May 1, 2011. Up to 130-135Hp may be gained with BMC air delivery and Ragazzon exhaust system. +/- 2,5Hp **Estimated Nm "

I have been looking forever for ecu tuning info and this is the only company so far that I have found that is doing it. Hope to see other companies get on the ball and do some work with the fuel maps. 15HP from a simple tune is pretty significant.

·
Registered
11 Posts
This is exciting news... I've been very interested in tuning or any other performance upgrades. 15 hp is huge (15% increase)

Unfortunately the site doesn't give too many details as it says you can pre-order but I don't see how.

Also I wasn't able to find out if they are a US or European company. I will definitely keep checking back with this site.

Thanks for finding this.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
11 Posts
Bad news... looks like Will was right. This is what Scagliarini emailed me after I requested more info on the tuning.

Mr. ..............,

Thank you for your communication. We created the ECU tuning program for the FIAT 500 in Italy over the last year. While the engine is the same, the airbox and other emissions are not. As a result, we have decided to revisit the ECU program and will begin testing on a North American car soon; we are not expecting any changes.

Once the ECU program becomes available commerically, we will be happy to contact you to detemine your continued interest. Please accept my apology for the delay in the program, unfortuantley, the North American FIAT 500 is proving far different from its European counterpart; the impacts to aftermarket have been significant.

Regards,

Michael Salvarani

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am skeptical, just like Will from EuroTuning, about getting much improvement from a naturally aspirated engine with an ECU tune. I've ECU tuned many trucks and cars in the past but they've always been turbo diesels where you can mess with the spooltiming etc of the turbo.

Can you honestly get that much HP from a non-turbo engine with an ECU program?

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I had a Ford Focus SVT with a naturally aspirated 2.0 L which made 170 HP and I purchsed the diablo ECU tuner and It gave me about 5 HP and torque to the wheels. Another consideration about ECU tuning isnt just about how much HP you're gaining, its also how the ECU tune manages the available power. Although my SVT only got around 5HP gain, the throttle response was night and day as well as it helped adjust the power delivery which made it feel much punchier

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I had a Ford Focus SVT with a naturally aspirated 2.0 L which made 170 HP and I purchsed the diablo ECU tuner and It gave me about 5 HP and torque to the wheels. Another consideration about ECU tuning isnt just about how much HP you're gaining, its also how the ECU tune manages the available power. Although my SVT only got around 5HP gain, the throttle response was night and day as well as it helped adjust the power delivery which made it feel much punchier
Meant to say punchier low end, since the SVT came with only 145 FT TQ.
One other thing to consider is the fiat has a pretty respectable power to weight ratio, so every 10 HP at the crank is an increase of 10% which will be more noticable than if you had a 300 HP car that weighed 3500 LBS and you got a 10% increase to 330 HP.
Some food for thought!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'd say prob around 10 is more reasonable. Complement with an intake and exhaust and it seems 20 isn't out of the question. It would be nice to datalog ourselves and adjust the maps to match our individual cars and location. From what I learned with tuning motorcycles is that no premade tune works for every bike.

It would be nice to have a switchable tune connected to the sport switch. Also need to get rid of the soft rev limiters in 1st and 2nd (6k /6.5k) I understand why they do this in high hp cars.. but it's not like you have massive wheelspin to worry about in the 500.. Peak hp at 6.5k rpm so why limit it in those gears?..(yea I know its an economy car :) )

Good luck Ressol!! Hope to hear good news!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sk8ace I agree having the tune come on with the sport button would be awesome. I also think it would be great to have a way to keep the sport button on all the time even after turning the engine off. I know some people are looking into that.

Sorry for my initial doubt in the ECU but from what you guys say getting an extra 10 to 20 hp would be fantastic.

·
Registered
233 Posts
But how would that affect car warranty? 10-20 hp gain would be fantastic, but not if it winds up costing me the car's powertrain warranty.

·
Registered
176 Posts
OK, we took out the ECU and tried cracking it. As we all knew it is different from the Euro model which is a Bosch unit and very easy to read & write. We were hoping it was still Bosch but it's a very modern Magneti Marelli and no one has the software for it yet. Sooooo.... we ordered the software :D It wasn't cheap :( Good news is that the maps look very simple, without many restrictions compared to the Mini's. In fact, it's very similar to the Ferrari maps which our programmer has done a few of (yeah, our 500 have Ferrari DNA :cool: ) We'll be working on it all of next week and hope to have byno-backed results by the following week. Keep you posted.

·
Registered
258 Posts
OK, we took out the ECU and tried cracking it. As we all knew it is different from the Euro model which is a Bosch unit and very easy to read & write. We were hoping it was still Bosch but it's a very modern Magneti Marelli and no one has the software for it yet. Sooooo.... we ordered the software :D It wasn't cheap :( Good news is that the maps look very simple, without many restrictions compared to the Mini's. In fact, it's very similar to the Ferrari maps which our programmer has done a few of (yeah, our 500 have Ferrari DNA :cool: ) We'll be working on it all of next week and hope to have byno-backed results by the following week. Keep you posted.
Nice!
I am also working on the ECU tuning here in Ca.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Great job guys!! I can't wait to order my car and not have to worry about a lack of aftermarket. My current car has 0 tuning options (no one cracked the ecu). The 500 is a full second slower (1/4 mile) than my car.. With intake/exhaust and a tune I believe it will be equal/faster. Makes me feel a lot better! Just waiting for my local dealer in Pittsburgh to open and I'll have my blue pop :-D

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Im really looking forward to seeing what you guys come up with. Ive seen some stock 500's dyno at 99 HP which is pretty good considering they are rated at 101, almost no loss through the drivetrain to the wheels. If we could get another 15 wheel horse with an ECU, exhaust and Intake, that would really take this car up one more notch in the fun factor! although Im almost certain you'd have to load the stock tune before taking it in to the dealership. I know there is a law forbidding car manufactures to deny warranty unless they can prove that the aftermarket part was the cause of the problem so with exhausts, intakes and suspension im not worried, but once you start messing with the factory ECU, im very confident it will void warranty unless Fiat or Abarth release a tune for our north american cars.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You wouldn't have to put the stock tune on when you take it to the dealer. They won't be able tell that the fuel maps have been changed. As long as there are no engine codes thrown, you should be good to go!

·
Registered
176 Posts
OK, we took out the ECU and tried cracking it. As we all knew it is different from the Euro model which is a Bosch unit and very easy to read & write. We were hoping it was still Bosch but it's a very modern Magneti Marelli and no one has the software for it yet. Sooooo.... we ordered the software :D It wasn't cheap :( Good news is that the maps look very simple, without many restrictions compared to the Mini's. In fact, it's very similar to the Ferrari maps which our programmer has done a few of (yeah, our 500 have Ferrari DNA :cool: ) We'll be working on it all of next week and hope to have dyno-backed results by the following week. Keep you posted.
Well, software turned out to be incompatible with the ECU. After A LOT of research, emails, phone calls and what not, there's simply nothing for it out there to reflash the USDM ECU. So we simply decided to create our own reader/writer. Remember when I complained about the software not being cheap in my last post? Now it sounds like a bargain compared to what we'll be paying to custom make our own tool :eek: And if I tell you how far on Earth we're going for it...

Anyway, we've hit a few roadblocks but it's still in the works :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts