Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a chance to drive an Abarth last week and was pleasantly surprised. It was pretty much what I'd expected. The one thing I didn't expect was you still have to push the sport button every time you start the car.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The one thing I didn't expect was you still have to push the sport button every time you start the car.
Why is that an issue? I have 2 other cars with sport buttons and it just becomes part of the start-up process: seatbelt, start car, push button. It's not even something that you have to think about.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
I just stopped using mine. I was using initially to tight up the steering, but no more.

·
Registered
13,461 Posts
I never use the sport button. Forgotten about it since August. On the Abarth it would make a difference in HP. Not so on the sport.

·
Registered
260 Posts
HP and Torque, big time difference.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not really an issue. You'd think that on their premier sport model it would remain engaged. The two cars I have with a sport/race switches remain where you use them.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Not really an issue. You'd think that on their premier sport model it would remain engaged. The two cars I have with a sport/race switches remain where you use them.
It varies from car to car. On our Cayenne GTS you have to push the sport button each time. On our XKR it stays engaged for a few hours of starting and stopping. For instance, in the morning on the way to work I have to engage it, but if I go out at lunchtime, it is still in sport mode. My guess is that defaulting to normal mode is probably for EPA fuel economy numbers, because they would probably rate them in whatever mode is considered "normal."

At any rate, I'm sure my Abarth will spend almost all of its life in sport. I'm getting veeeeery excited about this car. I keep playing YouTube videos just to hear its snarling sound. I think we're getting something really special.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
When I picked up my 360 from the dealer I put it in sport mode..........It's been there for almost 11 years!

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
That is so funny, Lorvar! I would certainly lick it IF I could turn off the belt buzzer. hahahahaha!!!
You can't honestly say you didn't try it, can you? Lol

·
Registered
260 Posts
I stand corrected. No increase in HP between "non-sport" and "sport" mode, but its the torque that makes the difference in my opinion. Huge increase to the tune of 70pct more in first and second gear. Pretty much the reason nobody will ever not want to have it in "sport" mode.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Is that the case with all Fiat's? When I test drove the sport, I never was told to press the sport button.
Ciaobella:

Most vehicles with this option start in an economy mode or a "2nd gear mode" for better gas mileage and traction in in-climate weather (winter vs summer, economy vs sport, first gear vs second gear). If desired, most vehicles require you to switch to a sport mode (if equipped) once starting the vehicle. My vehicle has a switch near the shifter that I can choose from S or C, basically it means sport (summer) or Econ; S starts from first gear, C starts from second gear. The switching at start-up to S has become involuntary to me :)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts