Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I spoke to a studio today about purchasing a 2012 Abarth and found out some interesting information I thought I would share. First I was told that the initial first run of USA Abarths would ONLY be available in black with the other colors filtering in later in the year. I wanted it in Red, which means I have to wait a little longer...that sucks.

The other piece I found out is that there will be a 500T that will be released late 2012 which is basically a Euro Abarth without the SS kit.

Has anyone else heard of these details?

Nick

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
Seems odd, so timeline for release of 500s equals go slow, go fast, go slower...not much sense to be made of this for me at least. Guess the current 500 is to get people interested in the car, then the Abarth for enthusiasts and eventually the T added for those that liked the 500 and couldn't afford the Abarth...I just don't know about the whole idea.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Hello,

I spoke to a studio today about purchasing a 2012 Abarth and found out some interesting information I thought I would share. First I was told that the initial first run of USA Abarths would ONLY be available in black with the other colors filtering in later in the year. I wanted it in Red, which means I have to wait a little longer...that sucks.

Nick
Man, I hope you are wrong. I am second in line at my dealer to order an Abarth but I have no desire to own a Black anything. Been there, done that and won't repeat it. I just want a white one, would prefer the pearl white but if it's refrigerator white then so be it....but not black. I'm way too old to spend my time fussing around a car every day. Oh, and there is a gravel road behind our house... can you imagine?

Cheers

·
Registered
108 Posts
geeded,

I'm cashing the check today on my black Cadillac that I sold to CarMax last week! There is no way I am buying another black anything, especially a Fiat Abarth. I am not even able to get the Autonation car dealer here in California to start a waiting list! There is no list and there is not going to be. They just tell me that they are the largest car dealer and will get Abarths first, so I'm waiting patiently to purcahse a White Abarth only!. No black, you can keep it. It too hot in the sun. It shows every thing. White for me!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Hartmn, I hadn't heard anything from anyone regarding the car being available in black ONLY at launch so I'd take any non-official information with a HUGE grain of salt. The dealers should have their ordering/allocation sheets sooner than later, and that will be when you'll know for sure. In the meantime, I'd get in touch with your local dealerships and see if any of them have started taking a deposit list... From what I've heard (again, not able to quote the source), each dealership will get 5 or so of the initial run...

PS: I see you're in Southern Cali... Make sure you've checked out our group! (Link in signature)

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
When I talked to my dealer a couple of weeks ago he said Abarths where going to be hard to get and said a dealership has to sell a certain number of cars before they are even able to make/ put anybody on a list.

I take what dealers say with a grain a salt. They often know less than the customer that has done any research.

As far as black goes- I had a black 57 Chevy in the Southern California San Joaquin Valley. After I washed it and finished drying it would a fine layer of dust where I started. However, I love the black and its sinister look on the Abarth.

·
Registered
196 Posts
The Abarth is only available in black?

I don't see the problem... ;)

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
I've gone from a white car to a black and back to white. Black is impossible to live with.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey Guys just an update. I think the first studio was trying to jerk me around. I called another studio and they said all colors will be available at launch. They said as long as I put a deposit down (refundable) I will be able to get a red one at launch. I have had a black car and like most people I do not want the headaches of trying to keep it clean. I plan on buying a red abarth, white wheels, white stripe, black leather and that's it. I'm making a trip to the studio after new years to get my deposit down and order what I want. They did say it was unlikely that the people who do not place deposits/order ahead of time will not get an Abarth in 2012 and will likely have to wait until 2013 as supply is limited and demand is high. I think they said something like 2,000 abarths for the first year. They are also willing to do a rear seat delete kit for me, they have done them on 500's before. Anyways that rocks because I want to be able to haul my English Mastiff around in the car too.

The studio who gave me the first info I posted was jerking me around on color, my trade and launch date, he said the abarths wouldn't be available until as late as August. Anyways screw those guys I know which dealer I plan to use now.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
waiting for the 500C Abarth...

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
A problem with white is industrial fall out. Since I live in one of the top five dirtiest cities in America, that is more of a pain to take care of than black. To get rid of the orange rust spots requires claying and buffing.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Vtec Mini,

Industrial fall out is removable, try all the nastiness that comes with the clear coat in a black paint job. Talk about spider hazing in the clear coat that requires clay, then buffing with foam pad polishing. If you take your black car to a "hand" car wash, I have yet to see one that drys your black car clear coat with micro fiber drying towels, and cotton causes spider hazing (for a lack of a better term).

You should try a good quality car cover if at all possible if your car needs to stay outside most of the time. You always need to wax your car which will greatly defend against fall out orange rust junk that is in the air. I am Los Angles, CA so I understand dirty junk on the car even though you didn't say where you lived in one of those five dirties cities. You need to wax your car more (every other month) if it has to stay outside all the time.

I spoke to my Fiat dealer (Autonation) and unfortunately for me they confirmed that the first Abarth's are coming in black "because that's the hottest color that everyone wants". And then he said red would be next. I told him I would be waiting for a white Abarth and asked him when he would expect to see it. He said sometime in July. July it is! I asked him if he had a list he said he did and that he would need a 500 dollar deposit in mid January after the roll out of the car. So I stand corrected from my previous post, their is a list!

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Vtec Mini,

Industrial fall out is removable, try all the nastiness that comes with the clear coat in a black paint job. Talk about spider hazing in the clear coat that requires clay, then buffing with foam pad polishing. If you take your black car to a "hand" car wash, I have yet to see one that drys your black car clear coat with micro fiber drying towels, and cotton causes spider hazing (for a lack of a better term).

You should try a good quality car cover if at all possible if your car needs to stay outside most of the time. You always need to wax your car which will greatly defend against fall out orange rust junk that is in the air. I am Los Angles, CA so I understand dirty junk on the car even though you didn't say where you lived in one of those five dirties cities. You need to wax your car more (every other month) if it has to stay outside all the time.

I spoke to my Fiat dealer (Autonation) and unfortunately for me they confirmed that the first Abarth's are coming in black "because that's the hottest color that everyone wants". And then he said red would be next. I told him I would be waiting for a white Abarth and asked him when he would expect to see it. He said sometime in July. July it is! I asked him if he had a list he said he did and that he would need a 500 dollar deposit in mid January after the roll out of the car. So I stand corrected from my previous post, their is a list!
I live in Bakersfield so I am sure you know what I am talking about. As far as black goes with swirls and car washes I agree. Thats why I don't take my cars to those places. I wash all of my own vehicles along with polishing them and waxing them using Adams produces which are the best IMO. Especially since I work at a power plant the deposits we get from the cooling towers coat the cars in one day with fine droplets. Our white service trucks are two toned with orange rust tops. It didn't matter how much I waxed my red Cooper S with a white top or my white CRX it always got rust spots.

I don't want a red Abarth because to me it doesn't fit it. Not silver or "grey" because the last two cars I have owned are silver and I am done with that color, and the white- well as stated above. To be honest I like that dull grey color they have in Europe the best but that is not available unfortunately.

·
Registered
108 Posts
VTEC Mini,

I love Bakersfield. What is the name of that food that is found in your area? Basque? Do you know Adam from Adam's polishes? What a small world! I also use Adam's Polishes and I know Mr. Adam Pitale personally. He is a great guy! Adam's is the very best polishes! I won't try to put a link to his website address in here but anyone can Google him. You should buy/purchase a California Car company car cover and cover your car at work! Yikes! Why wouldn't you! What a mess.

Small world again! I also had a 2004 Electric Blue Mini Cooper S with a White top that I ordered new from Long Beach BMW/Mini so I know what you are saying about the white top. I live South of the LAX Airport and I get all kinds of junk in the air that lands on my cars. I can't wait to see your Fiat when you get it, and keep using the Adam's products of course! The very best! I'm going to have to wait for white!

Merry Christmas

Eric

·
Registered
108 Posts
Bradon,

Okay I get it.. you have a local car club. Could you please let me discuss stuff on one topic and get the darn car first before you sneak a shameless plug in for your car club:) Bah hum bug!

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
VTEC Mini,

I love Bakersfield. What is the name of that food that is found in your area? Basque? Do you know Adam from Adam's polishes? What a small world! I also use Adam's Polishes and I know Mr. Adam Pitale personally. He is a great guy! Adam's is the very best polishes! I won't try to put a link to his website address in here but anyone can Google him. You should buy/purchase a California Car company car cover and cover your car at work! Yikes! Why wouldn't you! What a mess.

Small world again! I also had a 2004 Electric Blue Mini Cooper S with a White top that I ordered new from Long Beach BMW/Mini so I know what you are saying about the white top. I live South of the LAX Airport and I get all kinds of junk in the air that lands on my cars. I can't wait to see your Fiat when you get it, and keep using the Adam's products of course! The very best! I'm going to have to wait for white!

Merry Christmas

Eric
You love Bakersfield?! Why? LOL!

Yes I know Adam quiet well actually. He is one **** of a nice guy and stands by his products 110% and is never unreachable. You just don't have customer service like he does anymore. I introduced him and his products to my MINI club SCMM. He used to come out once a year for detail classes. Do you know SCMM?

Yep it is Basque food. The most famous place we have is Wool Growers. Barbra Streisand comes up here just to eat there.

I have to wait a little while before getting the Abarth. I want to watch it's reliability for awhile before buying one. My MINI I had stung me pretty hard and since this would be my daily driver it needs to be reliable.

·
Registered
108 Posts
VTEC Mini,

Reliability? First year car! You had better purchase what ever extended warranty plan you can from Fiat because with this five speed, turbo charged boy wonder it''s probably going to be really interesting to follow that's for sure! My Mini was a piece of crap for the suspension tower rubber and cheap clutch components that always needed some attention with just 29,000 thousand miles on the car when I sold it. I suspect this car is going to be just as labor intensive, even when babied. And I baby my cars, and make no modifications, not even tires manufacture changes when replacing tires. What the heck is this engine platform out of anyway?

The Abarth should be offered in an automatic and it's not. My Mini was not an automatic, and I ordered it that way for all you purist that are waiting to pounce on me. I am just tired of shifting gears and automatics don't need clutches, throw out bearings, etc etc. Automatics are FASTER! If you don't believe me go to any NHRA drag race event and see for yourself!

I test drove a Fiat Sport and was ready to purchase it after a test drove the car however I discovered the Abarth edition was coming so wanted to wait. We went to the Debut at the LA Auto Show of the Fiat Abarth only discover a five speed for the car! Nice! So VTEC Mini, don't wait for all the punishment with the rest of us with the Fiat, sell that dame Mini and join us in all the pain! We need you! Would you care to elaborate on the Mini problems that you had?

So I'm waiting until July now for the White five speed Abarth. It will be a fun enthusiasts I'm sure, but reliability! Clear you jest!

Merry Christmas

Eric

1 - 20 of 38 Posts