Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Only 1,000 miles on my 2012 FIAT 500 Sport, manual transmission - have driven manual transmission cars for over 30 years. Last night was stopped at a red light. I put the car in first, released the clutch, put foot on the gas...nothing but engine rev. Thought maybe I didn't have it in first, tried again, same result. I put the car in neutral, turned it off and "rebooted" (restarted), put the car into first, and it worked just fine. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1 Posts
same happened to me but mine is automatic 2012 and less than 1000KM .... started the car in the morning and it wouldn't shift from neutral to first ... dealed picked it up and returned it back saying it was worked fine for 3 days and passed the computed test Same thing happened to my 2012 less than 1000KM but mine is Automatic (shifter with no clutch) ... started it one day and the gear wouldn't shift from neutral to first ... dealer picked it up and brought it back after 3 days saying it worked fine for the last 3 days and passed the computer check ... and since then it didn't happen again ( now i have like 2000 KM)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies...drove 100 miles today in lots of stop and go traffic with no problems. So I'm hoping it was just "user error"...will check with dealer so issue is noted in case it happens again.

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts
My idea is the hill-holder clutch. It starts a little bit different than normal. You should have already had it in first gear with the brake pressed at the same time, if you didn't.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have an automatic with about 500 miles on it. While coming off a stop the engine will rev but the transaxle will not grab a gear. All of a sudden it finds one and the car lurches forward like it has been rear ended. This has happened 3 times since I purchased it about two weeks ago. I took it back to the studio to have it looked at but they didn't find anything. I assume it is not normal.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
no not normal at all - that sounds like what one can expect if their transmission fluid is over 1 quart low. I'd start looking there first.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Apparently that is something only the studio can check. I'm going to take it in next week. I'll let you know what they say.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I took it in to have it inspected and it didn't go very well. The studio had to reset the computer systems which didn't resolve the issue. The problem still occurs and Fiat is sending someone down later this week to inspect it

·
Registered
700 Posts
another area to check is that slip ring to get the tranny into reverse..your not pulling up on that and trying to shift into first i play with it all the time could be something you were doing subliminally

only problem i have had with my tranny is a tough shift into reverse at high idle upon start... had to let it go into gear slower upon starting and then shift into reverse heard that hear on the forum...

another check is you were in second and then shifted into neutral and not first not trying to downgrade you or anybody
miss shifts happen this all happens at one point to all of us...just throwing things out there to look at

if it is a problem with the tranny please report back tranny fluid can also be the culprit let us know how to check this on a manual if it is a dealer only check because they may not have filled it up all the way

·
Registered
700 Posts
i see two people are posting regarding both manual and auto transmission problems dont know regarding the auto
regarding the manual..i dont know where to check the tranny fluid will start to look..... regarding the auto......thats a big mess log everytime spent at the dealer...california has the lemon law dont let them use the same ticket number over and over again

·
Registered
73 Posts
2013 Abarth less that 500 miles.....1st the clutch has a little pop when it gets close to the floor, once that happens you can't get the car into any gear, I had to rev the motor and bang it into thiird, once i did that clutch started to engage again. Whats up with this? 5 days old and already acting up........

1 - 13 of 13 Posts