Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Lounge 500c has a little over 2,000 miles on it and I took my first highway drive yesterday. I filled up just before the on ramp and drove 125 miles. As I was exiting and checked my average mpg and I was shocked to see 42.6 MPG. The outside temperature was 92 degrees so the air-conditioning was running full blast and did I mention that my 500c is an automatic. My speed was right at 70 miles per hour. I would not have thought that an automatic would get that kind of MPG. Needless to say, I am a happy camper.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Cool.

Now, check your odometer against a gps device on a 200 mile sample run to find out the odometer error; they all have it. Every car. Federal spec says that the odo can be 10% +2 mph optimistic and be legal. That means it's allowed to read high but not low; very beneficial for the auto makers since your warranty expires earlier. Your odo and speedo are not allowed to register low.

After you know your real odo reading, do a hand calculated mileage figure. We haven't done any highway miles at all yet but it's returned a very respectable 31.5 mpg on torture runs in the mountains. That's alot better than the MINI used to do on the same roads.

BTW, if your odo is 2% or so low, next time you need rubber, size-up one size and correct it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I do not think the Speedo and ODO read off the same sensor. Or if they do then the speedo computer has an algorithim in it to add 10% so that it reads faster.

I really doubt the manufacturer would want to open themselves up to legal problems from not having an acurate ODO for waranty work claims.

According to google maps my morning commute is exactly what my ODO says.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I checked ours but forgot what I came up with; it wasn't the full 10% +2, not by a longshot. That "standard" was adopted long ago when there was greater lattitude for error.
Most OEs are between 1&2% ---- this gives the computer estimated mileage and inflated ego, leads to some optimistic numbers at times.

I'll check ours again next weekend when we meet with Charley and go for a spin. I'll write it down this time...

·
Registered
45 Posts
That's real good if you are getting 40+ MPG. My daily commute to work is 120miles round trip. It's all highway and I get about 36/37mpg. I stay around 80 mph though. I'd have to back off on my driving speed to get the mpg up but that does not appeal to me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I do not have a Fiat 500 yet, but would like your opinion on how it handles on the highway. I have read several reviews here in the usa that say it isn't a good car to drive on the highway.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Highway Star...

I do not have a Fiat 500 yet, but would like your opinion on how it handles on the highway. I have read several reviews here in the usa that say it isn't a good car to drive on the highway.
I have a Mini Cooper S and a 500 Sport and i like the highway drive of the 500 much better. Actually I like the 500 a lot better (except for the explosive acceleration that the Cooper S has) for its ride and I have no complaints abou tthe highway driving. I drove it 12 hrs one day a highway drive and had no problems with wind buffeting,lane wandering etc.

All in all its good all around! :)

·
Registered
475 Posts
Pernicious nonsense.
It's not a Lexus but it's not a '71 Pinto either.
I'm amazed at the amount of sheer dreck that's being spread about this wonderful little car.
Mine doesn't wander, whistle, rattle, clank, vibrate, or anything else unpleasant on the highway. The only problem I have is that when I pass a car, they speed up so they can keep looking at the 500. Pretty soon we're both at warp-8 and in trouble with LEOs...

·
Registered
126 Posts
My Sport model does very well on the highway. I usually go between 70-75 and have no problems. The car is stable and keeps up with traffic nicely. I like the firmness of the suspension compared to floaty ride of my 2009 Forester that I traded in on the Fiat.

·
Registered
4 Posts
thank you all for your quick replies. I have been trying to convince someone this little car would be perfect for my 60 mile highway commute each day. He read two reviews and said no due the highway comment.

·
Registered
475 Posts
thank you all for your quick replies. I have been trying to convince someone this little car would be perfect for my 60 mile highway commute each day. He read two reviews and said no due the highway comment.
Go drive one on the highway.
Or rent one.

You are what you drive. Life is too short to drive something you think of with the same passion as a toaster.

·
Registered
825 Posts
My daily commute is 100 miles, round trip. Most of that is highway. I have no issue at all on the highway.

On the other topic, a couple of months ago, I drove 80+ miles on the highway, on cruise, 65mph. My average was something like 51.5mpg or 52.5mpg. I have a Pop stick. It's like a camel in the desert.

·
Registered
341 Posts
My gf and I drove to Fort Worth Texas from Denver Colorado, traded in our car, and bought a Blue Sport with a manual transmission, and then drove it back home to Denver, which is 767 miles of nothing but highway.

We were extremely happy with the performance of the car, and the feel.

So, as the "man" who you need permission from what problems he has with the Fiat, and get him to put together an actual question or two that we can clarify for him.

Chances are he just doesn't like the Fiat.
You then need to upgrade your man.

Usually that means you have to take him to a Fiat Studio, and have him test drive the car.

I take no responsibility if you upgrade your man some other way.

BC.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Cool.

Now, check your odometer against a gps device on a 200 mile sample run to find out the odometer error; they all have it. Every car. Federal spec says that the odo can be 10% +2 mph optimistic and be legal. That means it's allowed to read high but not low; very beneficial for the auto makers since your warranty expires earlier. Your odo and speedo are not allowed to register low.

After you know your real odo reading, do a hand calculated mileage figure. We haven't done any highway miles at all yet but it's returned a very respectable 31.5 mpg on torture runs in the mountains. That's alot better than the MINI used to do on the same roads.

BTW, if your odo is 2% or so low, next time you need rubber, size-up one size and correct it.
I agree have the Ecoroute from garmin hooked up. The miles per gallon that I'm getting is of by 2 mpg the speedo is off by 2 to 3 mph via the factory cluster. Example speedo is telling me that I'm doing 70 the gps states 68.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
207 Posts
I drove 300 mis. roundtrip out of Dallas today, mosty using cruise at 70. A few times I had to get off of it dodging traffic using my foot and I would be doing 80 before I even noticed it. It is rock solid on the highway.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I drove a Pop about 100 miles from my home to the Jersey Shore and it was great on the highway. I was in Manhattan last night and only saw one. :( I am told that lots of people commute in them on the NJ Turnpike. One hour or more commutes are common here in New Jersey.

·
Registered
4 Posts
it's my dad. he doesn't think he would be able to fit in it for one thing, also he remembers them from the 70's and is going by how they were then. Also thinks it will be hard to get parts and have them serviced. wants to buy me the ford fiesta.

·
Registered
475 Posts
it's my dad. he doesn't think he would be able to fit in it for one thing, also he remembers them from the 70's and is going by how they were then. Also thinks it will be hard to get parts and have them serviced. wants to buy me the ford fiesta.
Well, I'm 48 years old, 6'5", and I remember FORDS from the 70's...
:p

I fit in it fine and if I had a daughter I'd rather she were driving a 500 than a Pinto. Or a Fiesta.
The Fiesta has no soul. It's an appliance. Does he want a white-bread child? A boring flavorless drone that speaks in a monotone and only shops at Sears?
I hope not.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts