Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it's intermittent as of now. But I notice sometimes when my roof is open in the tilt position, when I try to close it, it will move down then quickly go back up into the tilt position. If I slide it open, even just a crack, then bring it back, it will close all the way normally.

Again, it is intermittent. I played with it a bit, opening and closing it a dozen times. Eventually it seemed to go away. But I'm sure at some point it will return. This isn't the first time this has happened. I remember two other occasions looking at the car thinking, "I thought I closed the roof:confused:. " I just noticed the issue today.

I'll watch it over the next few weeks, hopefully it won't get worse. I'll bring it up next time the car goes in.

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
With the 500 being rather well optioned in the digital and electronics aspect I am concerned with the long mostly but also short term potential for problems. I am truly not familiar with how these cars are for electrical problems, some cars are riddled with such issues and it is constant through multiple years, hopefully the 500 will not become one of those types of cars.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll call the dealership tomorrow.

·
Registered
433 Posts
my girlfriends mazda3 sunroof exhibits the same behavior. better to bring it to the dealer more sooner than later.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's possible I may have discovered a factory sunroof reset option. It's too early to tell if this has worked, but it seems to be functioning normally now. I was reading through a few forums where people have had similar issues with different vehicles. a manufacturers have a reset procedure for their sunroofs that seemed to solve their issues. With the roof fully closed, and the key in position one, I held the sunroof button down for 10 seconds. At the 10 second mark, the roof moved slightly, then back into the closed position. Afterwards the sunroof was functioning normally.

It's too early to tell if the issue is gone for good and if it is indeed a sunroof reset procedure I stumbled upon.

I'll keep you updated.

·
Registered
401 Posts
This is happening to me with the convertible. I think it uses the same switches so I will try this reset to see if it works. The thing is if it is doing this on the 500c you can not open the trunk either.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Any resolution on this problem? Close it down and it pops right back up.....intermittently. 1/2-a*s fix.......pull the button down for just a blink of the eye. Then it will come down fully when you pull it down again.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I posted this thread over 2 years ago, *knock on wood* I haven't had any problems with my sunroof since.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had the same issue ('13 Sport). Brought it to the attention of the dealer at the last oil change, it was fixed, but now three months later the problem is back.

Any chance it's due to debris in the mechanism? My dealer is particularly unhelpful and would not tell me what the problem was, or what was done to fix it.

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
Had the same issue ('13 Sport). Brought it to the attention of the dealer at the last oil change, it was fixed, but now three months later the problem is back.

Any chance it's due to debris in the mechanism? My dealer is particularly unhelpful and would not tell me what the problem was, or what was done to fix it.
Welcome to the forum.

We have Fiat reps on the forum named FiatCares and FiatCACares which you might talk with depending on which location suits you best. Hope this gets resolved for you.

·
Registered
322 Posts
To me, power sunroofs in general seem like complicated mechanisms just waiting to jam or fail. On our '91 Subaru, the factory sunroof has always worked, but I think only with a lot of help over the years. It gets lubricated every couple of years with graphite spray (won't collect dirt so much as grease), and we always grab hold of the panel and "help" it open and close. That second technique sounds like craziness, but not many 20+ year old Legacy sunroofs are still working. :)

·
Banned
4,743 Posts
I had mine lubed twice in the last 4 years. No problem here. Just take it back to the dealership for service.

Sun roofs do need to be serviced. The rails and jack screws need to be cleaned and lubricated, etc. More importantly, the drain holes need to be kept open or your headliner will flood and stain.

This is all done in an annual or bi-annual service.

The calibration will also be checked/re-set at that time.

Tedolph

Tedolph

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
I've had the same issue with my 2013 Sport. The dealer replaced the rails under warranty (the right side rail took a month to come in) 2 weeks ago. The problem is back again with mine. The mechanic, at the time of the repair, said that it was due to binding rails, but I don't believe a word he said. From my experience (with other minor issues that I've been having), he really doesn't know what the problem is.

·
Registered
13,454 Posts
Sun roofs do need to be serviced. The rails and jack screws need to be cleaned and lubricated, etc. More importantly, the drain holes need to be kept open or your headliner will flood and stain.

This is all done in an annual or bi-annual service.

The calibration will also be checked/re-set at that time.

Tedolph

Tedolph
Fiat recommends the OEM sunroof, to be cleaned and lubed every 12 months 16K miles. I've missed 2 years. White lithium grease will do the trick.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I clean and lube mine every year. It's about that time of the year again and the sunroof has acted up 2 or 3 times in the last 2 weeks. Same deal as 4 years ago with my OP, it pops back open every other time. I found that when closing it from the tilt position, if I apply even just the slightest feather touch of pressure to the glass with my hand through the driver's window, it will close every time. Even the down force applied from the wind while driving on the highway is enough for it. :p

Reactions: gildardo
1 - 20 of 23 Posts