Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Pretty decent 0-60 run. The curb weight kills it's track times unfortunately but for us who use it as a daily driver it will feel plenty quick

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I still don't know what I'm going to do. I don't like the abarth wheels, it still needs a drop and id do the exhaust so the minimum id spend is like 3K on mods to the abarth plus the money id lose
By selling or trading in my prima it probably makes more sense to just add a supercharger when one becomes available for our 500s since I've already paid for coilovers, exhaust, intake etc on my car

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Oh baby talk dirty me, say my name!

·
Registered
2,574 Posts

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
got the 1/4 dead on! Fuel econ close...price not released yet.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Way off on price and 0-60 times, thankfully. :)

Just got an email about it from Fiat; says that it's available "first half of 2012". Anyone think that means that March is only a possibility?

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
It looks awesome! I expected a little more performance, but it's still sweet!
Yeah but in reality its really pretty decent for a car with 160 HP. My SVT focus which had about 180 HP and 155 TQ when I was done modding it took 7.2 Seconds to get to 60 MPH and did the quarter mile in 15.4

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Way off on price and 0-60 times, thankfully. :)

Just got an email about it from Fiat; says that it's available "first half of 2012". Anyone think that means that March is only a possibility?
I wouldn't hold my breath considering it was supposed to be originally released last November. I do believe it will released before June but that's as far as I go.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Although the price is shown as estimated I like the range of $21,500 -$23,000 and seems to fit with other rumours on pricing.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I wouldn't hold my breath considering it was supposed to be originally released last November. I do believe it will released before June but that's as far as I go.
I'd love to disagree, but I can't. I'm in no hurry, but do want as much time between intro and when I do buy, and let the gineau pigs help Fiat sort things out first. :D

·
Registered
350 Posts
it probably makes more sense to just add a supercharger when one becomes available for our 500s since I've already paid for coilovers, exhaust, intake etc on my car
After you supercharge it, you will be at about the same financial situation, have less power, and have a car that has less re-sale value. Your coilovers should transfer over and the intake and exhaust can be sold without taking too much of a hit (the items weren't THAT expensive in the first place). If you're looking for a performance 500, go get the Abarth!

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I got the latest and greatest Motor Trend "Fiat 500 issue" last night. On page 12 it talks about the differences of the Euro and U.S. Abarth. It is more than just the turbo and management.

Vincent adapted the MultiAir, launched in Europe in 2009, pretty much as is, with changes necessary for our specific regulations and demands, The Dundee version of the iron block four comes in a few pounds lighter than it's Euro cousin, and about 80 percent of the componets come from new suppliers.

"We have different oils," Vincent says, with Europe using only high- grade synthetic in new cars. "In the U.S., where customers can buy any grade of oil they want, the engine had to be developed with our specific 5W30. and in the case of the Abarth Turbo, our 5W40 non- synthetic. We had to make changes to the piston rings, piston crown; some of the bearings had to to change."

Vincent also converted the MultiAir to a returnless fuel system, as used in Chrysler's since the '90s to meet U.S. regulations include an oil- mist separator and specific positive crankcase vent system. There adjustments to the cylinder head, exhaust manifold, and turbocharger for durability. U.S. duty cycles tend to have a lot more mid- range. Half Shafts are beefed up as well. About 30 diagnostics have been added or upgraded to the Magnti Marello engine control system to meet OBDII.

What was Vincents biggest headache?

" There is is a labyrinth of water and oil tubes that are used to feed the water to the engine and the turbocharger from the radiator," he says, "and likewise oil from the oil filter, to the turbo through the block to the oil pump. Something as simple as that sounds...... it's just tubes right? But it's the way they're constructed, you've got a main pipe with a set of tubes to line up in a high- speed automated assembly line. It's extremely challenging."
Todd Lassa, Motor Trend Magazine, February 2012

To me it sounds like FIAT has done some research and has made changes to beef up the drive train to comply with American driving habits, roads and regulations and to make it more reliable. However, this does mean it is an untested engine and unlike it's Euro cousin which has been in use for some time now so I can not really go off of their reliability. This cements me wanting to wait a year or two before jumping in.

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
Sounds like they are using non synthetic in the Us car then...oddly I thought it weird that my dealer stated they suggest not using synthetic, now I am somewhat undecided on what I will use but since it is free for awhile it'll just get whatever the dealer is using and by then I figure enough input on what works well will be out with many changing and some dealers using synthetic from what I read here from other owners.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Non-synth? Can any experts chime in with advantages/disadvantages of such a decision (or perhaps just the disadvantages of disregarding it)?

It may sound ignorant of me, but I'm tempted to completely ignore the recommendation and go with 5W40/0W40 synth regardless...

I was under the impression synth is always the better choice.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts