Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
500e brakes tend to grab a bit when switching from regen to mechanical braking at around 6mph.
HUGE thanks to wonderfully helpful members of this forum*, there's an easy fix:

On AlfaOBD ($49 version), under ABS>Renenerative Brake Controller>Active diagnostics, select procedure to start (RBC Sensor Calibration). THAT'S IT!!!

All you need is a Bluetooth OBD tool such as ELM327 KONNWEI KW902 for under $20 on eBay, & AlfaOBD app for $49 on GooglePlayStore (works on Android or laptop, but not iPhone)

*HUGE thanks (in chronological order) to:

- joshp83 for starting the thread at
https://www.fiat500owners.com/threads/new-owner-with-odd-braking-behavior-is-this-normal.149010/

- F500e_NL for presenting the solution.

- Ironhydroxide as the first to test it on his own car & report back with the above instructions.

PS, Ya, I know people might find all this on the original thread, but I wanted to make it super-easy to find, & super-clear that there's a cheap, easy fix for what has until now been a chronic primary complaint about the 500e.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Sweet, thanks for making the separate thread. I had been meaning to get the paid version after the free one helped me diagnose my bad abs sensor

·
Registered
209 Posts
Anyone in socal wants to pitch in for the paid version of AlphaOBD? I already have the ODB dongle, but I'm a little hesitant to shell out another $50 just for this.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi. I recently bought a 2013 500e and having this issue, and Google took me to this thread.

After browsing through this forum, I found not all of OBD tools are compatible with 500e. Could someone point me to exactly which "ELM327 KONNWEI KW902" I should get?

amazon/s?k=ELM327+KONNWEI+KW902+bluetooth

Sorry, I can't post a link as I'm too new to this forum.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi. I recently bought a 2013 500e and having this issue, and Google took me to this thread.

After browsing through this forum, I found not all of OBD tools are compatible with 500e. Could someone point me to exactly which "ELM327 KONNWEI KW902" I should get?

amazon/s?k=ELM327+KONNWEI+KW902+bluetooth

Sorry, I can't post a link as I'm too new to this forum.
Just found this review comment.

"It does what it says it will. It worked on my Fiat 500e using the AlfaOBD Demo app."

www_dot_amazon_dot_com/Konnwei-Bluetooth-wireless-Diagnostic-Protocol/dp/B01LNJ77YI/

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
wow...what a difference after the calibration. Its like driving a regular car now! This should be made a sticky.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I've filed a complaint with the NHTSA, Complaint Number: 11288427. As consumers, we should not be paying and using 3rd party tools to fix our brakes.
Is your complaint that Fiat should be fixing this so there isn't a need for consumers to pay for a 3rd party tool to fix it or are you complaining that there shouldn't be a 3rd party tool that effects the braking system?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Is your complaint that Fiat should be fixing this so there isn't a need for consumers to pay for a 3rd party tool to fix it or are you complaining that there shouldn't be a 3rd party tool that effects the braking system?
I think it's Fiat's responsibility to provide a car with good functioning brakes. This is recall territory IMO. Even if the 3rd party software were downloaded for free, you have to buy the OBD tool and it's extra cost to the consumer to fix their brakes... and Fiat would probably not recommend downloading things over the internet, or through your cellphone- to fix their brakes. We also can't expect every Fiat 500e owner to visit these forums to learn how to fix their faulty brakes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just curious, for the people who bought/lease their 500e brand new, was the grabby brakes an issue from the beginning or was it an issue that develop over time? Mine was bough used here in Canada and before purchasing I had read that this was a characteristic due to the regen braking so didn't think much of it till reading this thread.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts