Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
There were 2 cars on the dealers lot. When looking. Would not start. Out of gas, or bad fuel pumps. Would crack, but nothing happen. Wouldn't turn over. Never did find out what was wrong with them. Good luck at the dealer.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Had you had any issues prior to your 500c not starting today? Did it 'click' when you turned the ignition key? Did you have lights, horn? Did you smell any burning wire smell?
This is a new problem, it started last night where I would turn the key the dash and headlights would turn on but the car wouldn't start. I thought it was a fluke because it took me a couple of key turns to finally get going but this morning the engine would not start. The 3 lights that were on the display were, Check Engine, Battery, and Oil light. I had a full tank of gas, the Battery was confirmed to have a charge and it only has 700 miles on it. Hope I didn't get a lemon :(

I didn't smell anything like burning wires.

The dealership gave me a loaner for the weekend but I won't get my car back until Monday when their service department is in.

I'll keep you guys posted!

·
Registered
614 Posts
This is a new problem, it started last night where I would turn the key the dash and headlights would turn on but the car wouldn't start. I thought it was a fluke because it took me a couple of key turns to finally get going but this morning the engine would not start. The 3 lights that were on the display were, Check Engine, Battery, and Oil light. I had a full tank of gas, the Battery was confirmed to have a charge and it only has 700 miles on it. Hope I didn't get a lemon :(

I didn't smell anything like burning wires.

The dealership gave me a loaner for the weekend but I won't get my car back until Monday when their service department is in.

I'll keep you guys posted!

If something is going to go bad, better it happen now at 700 instead of 36,700.

·
Registered
25 Posts
By what i have read it sounds like the starter relay is malfunctioning, a simple repair or rather replacement and you should not panic about it.
If your dealer has decent staff they should have figured it out, there is also the fiat alfa diag. That interfaces with the ecu, your dealer should also have this and it will check all related components quickly and find the problem but it does not sound like they have looked at it yet.
These kind of problems are common for any kind of car, not just fiats, so dont worry, i am sure ultimately your 500 will take you where ever you want to go, even camping
good luck

good luck

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
By what i have read it sounds like the starter relay is malfunctioning, a simple repair or rather replacement and you should not panic about it.
If your dealer has decent staff they should have figured it out, there is also the fiat alfa diag. That interfaces with the ecu, your dealer should also have this and it will check all related components quickly and find the problem but it does not sound like they have looked at it yet.
These kind of problems are common for any kind of car, not just fiats, so dont worry, i am sure ultimately your 500 will take you where ever you want to go, even camping
good luck

good luck
Thanks Ferrarino, I'll get the car back tomorrow, one of the guys from the studio is driving it back to me and picking up their loaner. Talk about service! My main takeaway from this whole experience is that Fiat's roadside assistance and warranty plan is great so far. Sad that I missed a weekend with my new espresso bean but there will be other camping trips and weekend excursions.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just got off the phone with the dealership, they checked the car out this morning but cannot determine a reason why it wouldn't start. They've only been able to replicate the problem once. Their diagnostic machine doesn't pinpoint any problems and they've been able to start the car for the most part. I'm losing confidence in the vehicle and I don't want to take it back if this problem is happens at all, the fact that they can't determine why it's happen wreaks of a lemon. The car is only 2 weeks old and only has 700 miles on it. What are my options guys?

They've escalated the situation to "Star" which is Fiat and they're waiting for a response from them, delay tactic perhaps? It doesn't sound like I'll be getting my vehicle back today.

·
Registered
10 Posts
As a new FIAT owner with less that 500 miles, I'm sorry this happened. I know I'd be upset too. Any car can be a 'lemon', I know someone who had a bad Honda Accord with one problem after another. I hope FIAT does right by you. They either need to diagnose and fix the problem or failing that, give you a new car. Do keep us posted.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
They can't figure out what the problem is :mad:, were only able to replicate it once so they're holding onto my car for another night. That's 4 Days at their lot. I know everyone at the dealership is new, they probably got some general fix-it training on the 500's but I don't think "we don't know, the ecu doesn't show us any problems" is an acceptable answer. If they still can't fix it, find out what's going on with it, or offer some type of restitution than Fiat of Fremont doesn't deserve my business. I know they're frustrated that they can't give me definitive answer but a new car that won't start - occasionally - is a Lemon. Let's call it what it is. I'll take another Fiat, I love the car, I just hope the dealership does this the right way. Meanwhile I have to drive around a honda civic loaner that's too big to park in my neighborhood ugh! Talk about frustrating.

#firstworldproblems

·
Registered
211 Posts
your not, just going to get another car...id be upset too. they have a loner (sport 5spd white), ask for it. when i picked up my car i talked to the tech (theres only one) for about a hour. he knows what hes doing. give them a few more days. im sure they will do some research and find the problem. this car has be in production for over 3 years, im sure others have had problems.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
your not, just going to get another car...id be upset too. they have a loner (sport 5spd white), ask for it. when i picked up my car i talked to the tech (theres only one) for about a hour. he knows what hes doing. give them a few more days. im sure they will do some research and find the problem. this car has be in production for over 3 years, im sure others have had problems.
Well the service department is doing a poor job of representing the one person who works there that "knows what he's doing." They literally told me the ECU gives them no information, that they don't know what's going on (replicated the problem once), and they were sitting tight until Fiat get's back to them. I am a fan of the Fremont dealership, most of the people I've interacted with have given me quality service and attention. However, this is what's going to happen tomorrow: They're gonna turn the key and the car is going to start, problem solved as far as they're concerned. I fully intend to document this situation, I know I've said this is the first time this has happened but this first time = 3 incidents over the course of the weekend. Once at my workplace parking garage, outside of my home, and now at the dealership.

I'd love to hear from anyone else who's had this problem. I'm not hating on Fiat, but is there anyone on this forum that would accept that their brand new car doesn't start (even occasionally)? This goes beyond a rattling problem. Am I wrong? I'm just feeling a little frustrated with this situation, I appreciate everyone's concern and positive take on it but I don't think I'm being out of line.

·
Registered
211 Posts
the ecu is probably fine, it could one pin out of alignment in one of the connectors, those things have up 30 pins in them. a guy on the mustang forum had this problem, no way the ecu would tell u thats wrong. the tech will have to go through each harness connection...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well the service department is doing a poor job of representing the one person who works there that "knows what he's doing." They literally told me the ECU gives them no information, that they don't know what's going on (replicated the problem once), and they were sitting tight until Fiat get's back to them. I am a fan of the Fremont dealership, most of the people I've interacted with have given me quality service and attention. However, this is what's going to happen tomorrow: They're gonna turn the key and the car is going to start, problem solved as far as they're concerned. I fully intend to document this situation, I know I've said this is the first time this has happened but this first time = 3 incidents over the course of the weekend. Once at my workplace parking garage, outside of my home, and now at the dealership.

I'd love to hear from anyone else who's had this problem. I'm not hating on Fiat, but is there anyone on this forum that would accept that their brand new car doesn't start (even occasionally)? This goes beyond a rattling problem. Am I wrong? I'm just feeling a little frustrated with this situation, I appreciate everyone's concern and positive take on it but I don't think I'm being out of line.
What else do you expect them to do?
  • They've given you a loaner. Sorry it's a huge, full size Civic that cannot be parked in SF. Granted, Sampson looks great in the FIAT, so the loaner loses on style.
  • The normal diagnostic tools don't provide information related to the problem.
  • They've honestly informed you of the progress: they are not able to consistently reproduce the problem and have escalated to FIAT.
So far, they aren't doing bad. At least they didn't claim it was fixed and just bring it back to you.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
What else do you expect them to do?
  • They've given you a loaner. Sorry it's a huge, full size Civic that cannot be parked in SF. Granted, Sampson looks great in the FIAT, so the loaner loses on style.
  • The normal diagnostic tools don't provide information related to the problem.
  • They've honestly informed you of the progress: they are not able to consistently reproduce the problem and have escalated to FIAT.
So far, they aren't doing bad. At least they didn't claim it was fixed and just bring it back to you.
You forgot to add "Yet." I've only said positive things about how I'm being treated, I'm just venting about the fact the car won't start intermittently. Kind of high on the list of car problems. I'm just keeping you all informed of the process and airing my frustrations (perhaps too much). We'll see what happens tomorrow. Cheers.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hello, You have the right to complain and be the squeaky wheel here. I would write a letter to the owner of the dealership - and get it out quick. The Written Word is far more powerful than a conversation on the phone or words spoken to a salesman or technician at the dealership. I'm not sure if you've already written a letter, but if you haven't then do it, now!

Did you agree to buy a car that wouldn't start occasionally?

Did you buy a car that will make you toil over it, after a mere 700 miles?

Did you buy a car that you have to spend hours and hours worrying about, only to get in and wonder if it'll start, "this time?"

Did they pay you to own the car, or did you pay them to own the car?

Never take no or "we're not sure" for an answer. It is probably a solenoid issue, a starter relay, an ignition relay, or possibly the computer malfunctioning, giving the car garbage data, causing intermittent issues with electrical signals being stopped or re-directed. Electrical for certain. Whenever electrical issues crop up - they can be hard to find. If they're being tested properly, a simple meter can test for grounds, too much resistance in a given switch, a short somewhere or the like.

Electrical connections are the veins of a car, like veins are to our blood system, as humans. Pinch a blood vein and big problems occur. Pitch a wire in a car wiring harness, and big troubles happen.

Give them a total of 3 more days to absolutely fix it, without doubt - and then make them re-test it next week, after you've driven it, and get that in writing.

If they can't do that - stop giving them time and demand another car, please make no conditions to your demand, (not request)...as who is paying whom? Are they paying you for your car or visa-versa?

You decide and hope you are bold enough to show them who's in charge here? You or them. Hope this helps. Thanks, Dan ps: no fun to go through this - but they are wrong, you are right. As the customer is always right!!!

1 - 20 of 64 Posts