Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 500C's odometer is flashing in perfect sync with the clock inside cluster - tried changing menu settings but still flashing. Earlier the oil change warning light came on that the dealer reset by tapping the throttle pedal thrice (with ignition off!) Any ideas on what could have triggered the flashing odometer and how to reset. or is this a faulty cluster (clock is slow 2 min / day) :confused:

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
I changed my cluster a few weeks back, but haven't checked if the clock is fixed,lol. I had a flashing check engine light for a few seconds when I started the car but went away.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I changed my cluster a few weeks back, but haven't checked if the clock is fixed,lol. I had a flashing check engine light for a few seconds when I started the car but went away.
Same here, the engine light would flash 10 times and then go out. I called the dealer and they said it would go away eventually. It did.

As far as the problem at hand, I would call and make an appointment and get that looked at ASAP.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
I read that a flashing engine light means a misfire. Yes get that looked at soon.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Will do...thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
I had the flashing Odometer when i swapped clusters, the dealership said it just needs to be programmed to the ECU, but i ended up swapping it back and waiting till i can get up there.

·
Registered
116 Posts
A flashing CEL when the car is running means catalyst damaging misfire... but the CEL would stay on after it stopped flashing to "remind" you that there was a problem.

The light coming on, flashing about 10 times, then turning off is (usually) nothing but a self test - a lot of manufacturers do that for some reason (Honda comes to mind)

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
My 500C's odometer is flashing in perfect sync with the clock inside cluster - tried changing menu settings but still flashing. Earlier the oil change warning light came on that the dealer reset by tapping the throttle pedal thrice (with ignition off!) Any ideas on what could have triggered the flashing odometer and how to reset. or is this a faulty cluster (clock is slow 2 min / day) :confused:

sher_yyz: I have not heard of anything like that before..possibly a failure within the instrument cluster?? I would contact your local studio and have them check it out... and if u'd like, let me know what they find.. Im interested in knowing what is causing the odometer to flash..

·
Registered
116 Posts
I know that silly things will cause a flashing odo...
like replacing the stereo with an aftermarket one...
No idea why (and it will be a while before the aftermarket gets access to the computers), but I would love to see a network schematic of these cars.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought a 500 Sport 3 days ago and just this evening the odometer starting flashing in sync with the clock in the cluster, the voice recognition button stopped working (its dead) and the USB media player stopped working.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
I bought a 500 Sport 3 days ago and just this evening the odometer starting flashing in sync with the clock in the cluster, the voice recognition button stopped working (its dead) and the USB media player stopped working.
bhardister: Sorry to hear of your issues so shortly after purchase.. sounds to me like an instrument cluster of BCM (body control module) problem.. I would have your studio check it out if you havent already done so.. if you run into anymore problems, PM me with your VIN and I will provide my direct line and help you out as much as I can.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Finally, here's what happened: took the car to the dealer who had never heard of such problem. They checked / documented and "reset" instruments however odo was still flashing. Hence requested I make another appointment for a thorough check up &possible cluster replacement. However, next day the odo stopped flashing and till date all is ok!!! I am monitoring daily in case problem reoccurs.

Reactions: Tedolph

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Finally, here's what happened: took the car to the dealer who had never heard of such problem. They checked / documented and "reset" instruments however odo was still flashing. Hence requested I make another appointment for a thorough check up &possible cluster replacement. However, next day the odo stopped flashing and till date all is ok!!! I am monitoring daily in case problem reoccurs.

sher_yyz: Great to hear it resolved itself... some issues, believe it or not, just like a computer, are fixed by rebooting or ignition key cycles... whether or not this was the case, Im happy that it is no longer happening. Having said that, please let me know if it reoccurs.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
OK still flashing another week later. Looks like it'll have to go in to the shop.
2wheels4me: Thats what I would recommend; I know its inconvenient, but its the only way to get it resolved.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same issue!

Funny thing, I just bought a FIAT 500 in Austin, TX with the exactly the same issues. When the flashing started I realized the voice recognition stopped as well. Did you get them resolved??
I tried to add an additional cell phone and upon pressing the VR button there wasn't any prompt at all, zippo! My problem is the car in now in Iowa, quite a distance from Austin!

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Funny thing, I just bought a FIAT 500 in Austin, TX with the exactly the same issues. When the flashing started I realized the voice recognition stopped as well. Did you get them resolved??
I tried to add an additional cell phone and upon pressing the VR button there wasn't any prompt at all, zippo! My problem is the car in now in Iowa, quite a distance from Austin!
Dave LLoyd: Im sorry to hear of these issues.. I know its inconvenient, but the studio is the only way to get it resolved. Please PM me anytime if I can be of any more help getting it addressed.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.