Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Thought I'd share my recent flat tire experience. Warning, it's a little long, but I want to include everything.

Headed 75 miles or so to the dealer where I bought my car for my first oil change. My appointment was a late one, so by the time I left, the service department closed. Everything ok there, though.

On the drive out of the parking lot, my TPMS light came on. It had been really hot that day, a storm had just blown through, and the car had been inside then outside, so I noted it and figured I'd check it when I stopped next, blaming it on the change in the weather.

Headed to my nephew's about 20 minutes up the interstate, got off to grab a cold drink. On the surface street, I noticed immediately that the steering was rough and the car pulled hard left. Uh-oh...

Pulled it over in the gas station parking lot; sure enough, front driver's wheel flat. Not happy about it, but I was interested to try out the TIREFIT job to see how that worked. As a reminder, my car has no spare.

Popped it out, connected it, hit the button, out shot the sealant, then the air, but the tire remained flat. On closer inspection, I could see sealant beginning to ooze out of a tear on the sidewall. Well, that's it, sealant's not going to work.

So, AAA or FIAT Roadside Assistance? It was about 6PM, but my goal was to get the tire fixed that night, if possible. I figured FIAT would just tow me to the dealer and that was all, and AAA would tow me up to 100 miles away for free (and my wife works for AAA), I went with AAA.

I spoke with the young woman at AAA, told her what happened, including my attempt to seal it and inflate it. As that had failed, I asked for a tow truck, and asked if any tire shops nearby were still open. She said there was one open around-the-clock, so we agreed to get a tow to there. My tow was due within an hour.

An hour and 20 minutes later, AAA arrived... in a tire fix-it truck. What's a tire fix-it truck? A truck with an air compressor and sealant! I explained that I'd already tried that, he tried to inflate it anyway, saw that it wouldn't work, then ordered me a tow truck, which would be due within an hour.

9:15PM, tow truck showed up, a flatbed. I had tried to call the tire shop earlier to confirm they would be open, no answer. So I asked the driver if he knew. He said they were open only for towing, not for repairs. Ok, I guess I'm getting a tow back home (75 miles).

He took a look under my car and announced he couldn't see any way to strap it down, no hooks or tie-off points. Never fear, he pulled out his Big Book of Every Car Ever Made to look it up. That's when I noticed it was the 2008 edition. I told him my car wouldn't be in there, which he confirmed after searching for 15 minutes. So he called his boss, who also searched his book for 15 minutes, then the internet, coming back with, "Well, you have to tow it with the key in the ignition in the on position." Ok, on a flatbed? I called FIAT Roadside Assistance to see if they had any advice, but as soon as I mentioned I had already called AAA, they chose not to answer any other questions.

So he decided to strap it through the wheels, then he insisted on leaving the keys on in the ignition. I fought him on that, pointing out that the car was essentially parked, not being pulled. He wouldn't budge, so we climbed into the truck to start off, 10PM.

Luckily, the running lights being on bothered him, so I scrambled up and took the keys out and we were finally on our way. I had the car towed to my local Tire Discounters, figuring I'd get a new tire in the morning. At 11:30PM, we parted ways, the wife picked me up, and home we went.

Whew! Hang on, not done yet...

The next day, wife dropped me at Tire Discounters where I quickly discovered they didn't carry the tires I had on my car. I called Monroe Tire, same thing, and the one other local tire shop. No Firestones.

Then I remembered the Cincy dealer had just opened, and they were only 30 minutes away. So I called Diann, the service manager, at Kings FIAT. Nope, no tires yet, they'd just opened a few days before.

Then Diann offered something quite nice. She offered to pull a tire from a car she had on the lot and get me rolling with that one. Great!

One problem, I still had to get the tire off, down there, back again, and back on. Luckily, there's a local car rental place right next door, so I can rent a car for the day. I explained what was going on to Ronnie at Tire Discounters and asked if he'd be willing to pull my tire, then put it back on when I returned. Sure, no problem.

Great! I let him know I was trotting next door to rent a car and I'd be right back. Well, he asked, where's the dealer? I told him it was 30 minutes down the interstate.

That's when an unbelievable thing happened; Ronnie dug in his pocket, pulled out his personal car keys and said, "Here, just take mine."

Wow! After going back and forth with him, I agreed to accept his generosity. So, tire was off, loaded, and away I went. Made it to the dealer, who got me a new, proper tire for my car, then back to Tire Discounters, who popped it back on the car for me.

By the way, Tire Discounters charged me nothing for the service. Amazing. Turned out the owner of that Tire Discounters was quite familiar with FIATs, having lived in Italy for a few years. He really liked the car.

End of story. The moral: you might want to consider getting the spare tire option.

Much, much appreciation to Diann at King's Fiat, just north of Cincinnati, OH. She was fantastic. Of course, the other hero was Ronnie at Tire Discounters, who went so far beyond what was required. It really restores your faith in people.

Ryan

·
Registered
606 Posts
Hi

Wow. Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm glad that the spare was the one accessory that I asked for.

Hope everything else works out ok for you.

Regards

Pat

·
Registered
9 Posts
Wow, what an experience, I'm glad it ended okay. I've been a little skeptical about the Tirefit arrangement; even more so now...

So, the next question is, do you have any idea what led to the demise of your original tire? i.e., defective tire vs. external injury? I would want to know (if there's any way to tell for sure, that is)

Thanks for taking the time to share!

Michele

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi All,

Thought I'd share my recent flat tire experience. Warning, it's a little long, but I want to include everything.

Headed 75 miles or so to the dealer where I bought my car for my first oil change. My appointment was a late one, so by the time I left, the service department closed. Everything ok there, though.

On the drive out of the parking lot, my TPMS light came on. It had been really hot that day, a storm had just blown through, and the car had been inside then outside, so I noted it and figured I'd check it when I stopped next, blaming it on the change in the weather.

Headed to my nephew's about 20 minutes up the interstate, got off to grab a cold drink. On the surface street, I noticed immediately that the steering was rough and the car pulled hard left. Uh-oh...

Pulled it over in the gas station parking lot; sure enough, front driver's wheel flat. Not happy about it, but I was interested to try out the TIREFIT job to see how that worked. As a reminder, my car has no spare.

Popped it out, connected it, hit the button, out shot the sealant, then the air, but the tire remained flat. On closer inspection, I could see sealant beginning to ooze out of a tear on the sidewall. Well, that's it, sealant's not going to work.

So, AAA or FIAT Roadside Assistance? It was about 6PM, but my goal was to get the tire fixed that night, if possible. I figured FIAT would just tow me to the dealer and that was all, and AAA would tow me up to 100 miles away for free (and my wife works for AAA), I went with AAA.

I spoke with the young woman at AAA, told her what happened, including my attempt to seal it and inflate it. As that had failed, I asked for a tow truck, and asked if any tire shops nearby were still open. She said there was one open around-the-clock, so we agreed to get a tow to there. My tow was due within an hour.

An hour and 20 minutes later, AAA arrived... in a tire fix-it truck. What's a tire fix-it truck? A truck with an air compressor and sealant! I explained that I'd already tried that, he tried to inflate it anyway, saw that it wouldn't work, then ordered me a tow truck, which would be due within an hour.

9:15PM, tow truck showed up, a flatbed. I had tried to call the tire shop earlier to confirm they would be open, no answer. So I asked the driver if he knew. He said they were open only for towing, not for repairs. Ok, I guess I'm getting a tow back home (75 miles).

He took a look under my car and announced he couldn't see any way to strap it down, no hooks or tie-off points. Never fear, he pulled out his Big Book of Every Car Ever Made to look it up. That's when I noticed it was the 2008 edition. I told him my car wouldn't be in there, which he confirmed after searching for 15 minutes. So he called his boss, who also searched his book for 15 minutes, then the internet, coming back with, "Well, you have to tow it with the key in the ignition in the on position." Ok, on a flatbed? I called FIAT Roadside Assistance to see if they had any advice, but as soon as I mentioned I had already called AAA, they chose not to answer any other questions.

So he decided to strap it through the wheels, then he insisted on leaving the keys on in the ignition. I fought him on that, pointing out that the car was essentially parked, not being pulled. He wouldn't budge, so we climbed into the truck to start off, 10PM.

Luckily, the running lights being on bothered him, so I scrambled up and took the keys out and we were finally on our way. I had the car towed to my local Tire Discounters, figuring I'd get a new tire in the morning. At 11:30PM, we parted ways, the wife picked me up, and home we went.

The next day, wife dropped me at Tire Discounters where I quickly discovered they didn't carry the tires I had on my car. I called Monroe Tire, same thing, and the one other local tire shop. No Firestones.

Then I remembered the Cincy dealer had just opened, and they were only 30 minutes away. So I called Diann, the service manager, at Kings FIAT. Nope, no tires yet, they'd just opened a few days before.

Then Diann offered something quite nice. She offered to pull a tire from a car she had on the lot and get me rolling with that one. Great!

One problem, I still had to get the tire off, down there, back again, and back on. Luckily, there's a local car rental place right next door, so I can rent a car for the day. I explained what was going on to Ronnie at Tire Discounters and asked if he'd be willing to pull my tire, then put it back on when I returned. Sure, no problem.

Great! I let him know I was trotting next door to rent a car and I'd be right back. Well, he asked, where's the dealer? I told him it was 30 minutes down the interstate.

That's when an unbelievable thing happened; Ronnie dug in his pocket, pulled out his personal car keys and said, "Here, just take mine."

Wow! After going back and forth with him, I agreed to accept his generosity. So, tire was off, loaded, and away I went. Made it to the dealer, who got me a new, proper tire for my car, then back to Tire Discounters, who popped it back on the car for me.

By the way, Tire Discounters charged me nothing for the service. Amazing. Turned out the owner of that Tire Discounters was quite familiar with FIATs, having lived in Italy for a few years. He really liked the car.

End of story. The moral: you might want to consider getting the spare tire option.

Much, much appreciation to Diann at King's Fiat, just north of Cincinnati, OH. She was fantastic. Of course, the other hero was Ronnie at Tire Discounters, who went so far beyond what was required. It really restores your faith in people.

Ryan
Great story. I also bought my Fiat from Cincinnati dealer and Diann is great! One point. SInce my is a Pop no compact spar tire. So I had them order one as part of the purchase. Diann cannot find a compact spare tire kit that includes all the components to mount the tire under the car. So she is having to order them separately. Here is the killer. To buy all the parts she said it is $700. Because it was part of my purchase they are having to honor it. But second problem. The compact spare tire size is no longer available. She ordered the wheel but now cant find the spare tire itself. No longer orderable in Fiat's parts system. So we will see what happens.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Do you remember the time when cars actually had a full size spare tire with matching rims? You just raised the car on the jack, changed the tire and drove home. 20 minutes, tops.

No, I don't, either. :p

·
Registered
160 Posts
Hi All,

Ryan
'scuse me young man, but how far is it to town?

'bout 5 miles as the crow flies.

Yeah? Well how far if the crow has to roll a flat tire?

·
Registered
606 Posts
Hi

Do you remember the time when cars actually had a full size spare tire with matching rims? You just raised the car on the jack, changed the tire and drove home. 20 minutes, tops.

No, I don't, either. :p
Hi

The last car I had with a full size spare was my 93 Plymouth Sundance. The base model came with the small spare, but they were selling the full size one as an option, so I bought it. It seems like such a long time ago. :)

Regards

Pat

·
Registered
25 Posts
Anyone out there who has purchased a spare tire kit after their purchase? I am also looking to add the spare tire kit for i don't trust the fixit kit to help I all situations

·
Registered
28 Posts
Anyone out there who has purchased a spare tire kit after their purchase? I am also looking to add the spare tire kit for i don't trust the fixit kit to help I all situations
I have one on order. I had them make it part of the purchase. But the kit itself is listed in the dealer accessories catalog but it not yet orderable.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi,

No, I don't know what happened to the tire. It had a puncture in the tread and a tear in the sidewall.

redbluff -- I take it you live nearby? I'm in Wilmington. Maybe I'll see you around. I'm also going through the whole spare-tire kit with Diann. Part of that whole "first year model" syndrome, I think.

Ryan

·
Registered
343 Posts
So, I wasn't sure about the whole tire repair kit thing. I went to my car and searched for a spare in the trunk. Nothing! So I looked everywhere for the kit. Not a thing!

And then I read the manual, and found my spare tire underneath the car :) I didn't even know you guys had it as an option, around here it seems to be the way every model is sold.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I never got the spare tire option with my RX-8 because it would go into the trunk and basically it would take up all the space making the trunk useless. Luckily I never needed to use the tire kit. In the 500 I ordered today I figured to get the spare option since its tucked underneath and out of the way.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi,

No, I don't know what happened to the tire. It had a puncture in the tread and a tear in the sidewall.

redbluff -- I take it you live nearby? I'm in Wilmington. Maybe I'll see you around. I'm also going through the whole spare-tire kit with Diann. Part of that whole "first year model" syndrome, I think.

Ryan
I live south of Dayton a little bit. Diann and I spoke about you while I was there Friday getting mudflaps put on. Diann is working hard to get the info on the spare tire kit.She showed me a parts catalog from Fiat that shows the kit with all the parts to tuck it up under the car. She just cannot find a part number but has contact Fiat to determine what the story is. Hopefully she will get some answers.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Redbluff -- if you don't mind me asking, what'd you end up paying for the mudflaps? I'd like to have those and they weren't even an option when I ordered my car.

If you have pics, that'd be great. Also, sounds like we're nearly neighbors. South of Dayton -- we need to have a Fiat Gathering at Chappy's Tap Room in Moraine!

Ryan

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
I have no spare in my current car now. (Dodge charger SRT8)

I have a bottle of slime and a compressor. I sprung for the spare on my Fiat. heh.

$100 is cheap insurance.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Redbluff -- if you don't mind me asking, what'd you end up paying for the mudflaps? I'd like to have those and they weren't even an option when I ordered my car.

If you have pics, that'd be great. Also, sounds like we're nearly neighbors. South of Dayton -- we need to have a Fiat Gathering at Chappy's Tap Room in Moraine!

Ryan
I paid $22 for the mudflaps and they installed them. It was part of the new car purchase. I paid $100 for the spare tire of course which I dont have yet.

I have been in a bit of a battle with them. Every Fiat 500 is suppose to have Blue & Me. Yet mine does not although the configurator, brochures, etc all say they do. They finally admitted that some did not come with the option. So I called Fiat Corporate and they sent me a check. I am now trying to give that check and my existing car back to the dealer in trade for one with Blue & Me on it. Have not heard back from them yet.

·
Registered
160 Posts

I have a bottle of slime and a compressor. I sprung for the spare on my Fiat. heh.

$100 is cheap insurance.
Get a standard 300c or Charger R/T 18" donut spare from a junkyard for $50. It fits in the well after you take out the styrofoam filler. It will fit the rear but not the front because of the big Brembo's up front. So if you have a flat in front, you pull a 20 incher from rear and mount the spare there, then put the good rear wheel and tire up front in place of the flat. That's the setup on my Chrysler SRT8.

Stupid compressor blows the fuse on my SRT8 after some use anyways.....and the slime will ruin those expensive tires and throw your wheels out of balance.

·
Registered
507 Posts
no room for a tire?

$100 is cheap insurance.
I have heard that there is a model of Kia that does not come with a spare. One has to order that option. I guess with the newer smaller cars, there isn't any real space for a spare.

The Smart Fortwo does not a spare (no space for it) but only has an air compressor and a fix it kit. :cool:

I am hoping on the Tweel by Michelin. It is an airless tire. One can not make it go flat. :D Wikipedia.
Gizmag.
I believe it is still being developed. IMO; it would be ideal for cars that are too small for a spare. :)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts