Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Came out the other morning to find my front passenger side tire totally flat. Fortunately, I had purchased an OEM repair kit since my used 500e came w/o one. Fixed the flat per the instructions and a week later, all is still well. However, the instructions state that the fix is temporary, to drive 45 MPH or lower and only for 100 miles. Went to an independent tire shop & they said as long as it’s holding air, keep using it! While I appreciated the lack of high pressured sales pitch (pushing 2 or 4 tires on me), I’m a bit leery of driving too far from home. Any thoughts?

Tires have good treads & looked almost new when I bought the car last summer. I have replacement “goop” on order so I’m doubly cautious until it arrives. I like the idea of not buying new tires unnecessarily, but not the idea of getting stranded waiting for AAA to arrive!

·
Registered
13,096 Posts
The fix is only supposed to be temporary. Very strange they didn’t want to plug the hole, in the tire. Do your tires, still have a lot of tread on them? Take your car to another tire store. It needs to be fixed right.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lots of tread left. He said he couldn’t plug it because I already used the sealant.

·
Registered
13,096 Posts
Lots of tread left. He said he couldn’t plug it because I already used the sealant.
He might be correct. I wonder, if your punctured tire, still has the nail, screw, or sharp object in it. I just read some really good tire sealants, can last up to 2 years in the tire. I always thought that it was a temporary fixed, till you got to the tire store to have it repaired.

off the internet.....Leaky tire sealant has been known to corrode wheels, which can be costly to replace. Plus, no tire sealant is a permanent solution. In fact, you may need to buy a new tire to replace your flat because many service centers won't repair a tire treated with a chemical sealant.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,644 Posts
My work buddy got a flat in his 500e, fixed it with the OEM sealant kit* & then got it patched.

* whose manual instruction say "Have the tire inspected and repaired or replaced after using". So sealant use does not appear to be a factor in repairability.

From my understanding, a really good tire shop probably wouldn't say they couldn't plug it, because they would use a PATCH, although possibly in addition to a plug: My favorite tire store, America's Tire (known in some areas as Discount Tire) seems to insist on using BOTH a plug AND a patch, so it's possible that's what Jsnoddy's tire shop meant.

I have emailed America's Tire to see if the use of sealant is one of the factors that can make them refuse to do a repair, in addition to factors like sidewall damage, puncture too close to tread edge, etc. I will post any reply below.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Most tire places hate patching tires that have had sealant in them. You have to clean out the tire completely before applying the patch, and it's messy ****. nobody likes it. Them saying "go till it has problems" is them saying "take it somewhere else, they don't pay me enough to deal with that".

·
Registered
13,096 Posts
^^^^^^ Ditto. The nasty stuff, is thrown all over the inside of the tire, and wheel. Any punctured tire, that near the edge of a tire, or the side wall. Is a automatic new tire replacement. Sealant, or no sealant. That’s just common practice.

I‘m glad all our cars, still have space saver spare tires. Impossible on a 500e.

·
Registered
13,096 Posts
I don’t know if a 500e, can have a 1 1/4” receiver hitch installed under it. There are fold down tire racks, that can be installed, on a wide variety of cars. Slides into the receiver hitch. That’s a option for cars, with out spare tires. You can use the receiver hitch, for bicycle carriers too.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,644 Posts
Yes, many users have added receiver hitches to their 500e, so the racks pictured above would work.

Many drivers don't use the back seat, & with it folded down, full-size stock tires fit. It fit my entire set of full-sized stock tires, on my way back from the tire store when they installed my new wheels.

It might even fit a compact spare behind the upright back seat, after deleting the space-wasting false floor.

P.S. My work buddy said the tire shop "didn't care at all" when he told them he'd used sealant. Maybe they were having a slow day.

·
Registered
13,096 Posts
Yes, many users have added receiver hitches to their 500e, so the racks pictured above would work.

Many drivers don't use the back seat, & with it folded down, full-size stock tires fit. It fit my entire set of full-sized stock tires, on my way back from the tire store when they installed my new wheels.

It might even fit a compact spare behind the upright back seat, after deleting the space-wasting false floor.

P.S. My work buddy said the tire shop "didn't care at all" when he told them he'd used sealant. Maybe they were having a slow day.
The cargo space in a 500, is so limited, as it is. Placing a spare back there would just waste the space.

Really how often does a individual really have flat tires. The last flat we had, was 10 years ago. Camp ground Estes Park Rocky Mountain national Park.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,644 Posts
I got an auto-response email, so I just called America's Tire & Discount Tire head office, & they confirmed that sealant is not an issue for them.

They said that in case it's still leaking, you need to make sure to keep the tire inflated on the way to them, or else you'd get irreparable under-inflation damage. They also mentioned the same thing as the Fiat manual, that the sealant can deactivate TPMS, so you need to stop quite frequently to double-check pressure manually, which can be done with the OEM kit.

They said that it's best to get it to them within 24 hours, before it dries too much, especially to be able to clean it out of the TPMS to prevent the need to replace it.

Similar to my prior car, I've had 3 leaks in 5 years with my 500e, all slow enough to reinflate & drive to America's Tire for a free patch, so smark's point still stands about not needing the spare he had suggested. One leak was irreparable, but replaced free under their relatively inexpensive warranty.

Cargo space is of course relative, & the 500e's is quite large compared to my last 2 cars. Designed to compete with the SMART car, it is of course vastly superior in that regard, among others.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I got an auto-response email, so I just called America's Tire & Discount Tire head office, & they confirmed that sealant is not an issue for them.

They said that in case it's still leaking, you need to make sure to keep the tire inflated on the way to them, or else you'd get irreparable under-inflation damage. They also mentioned the same thing as the Fiat manual, that the sealant can deactivate TPMS, so you need to stop quite frequently to double-check pressure manually, which can be done with the OEM kit.

They said that it's best to get it to them within 24 hours, before it dries too much, especially to be able to clean it out of the TPMS to prevent the need to replace it.

Similar to my prior car, I've had 3 leaks in 5 years with my 500e, all slow enough to reinflate & drive to America's Tire, so smark's point still stands about not needing the spare he had suggested. One leak was irreparable, but replaced free under their relatively inexpensive warranty.

Cargo space is of course relative, & the 500e's is quite large compared to my last 2 cars. Designed to compete with the SMART car, it is of course vastly superior in that regard, among others.
Thanks! There’s one near me. Service by appointment only, but I’ll give them a call tomorrow!

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,644 Posts
I forgot to ask who I was speaking with, but he seemed pretty knowledgeable, & did say "I really don't like that stuff", to which I replied "Well it's better than nothing", with which he agreed.

I recommend to CALL THE LOCAL AMERICA'S/DISCONT TIRE to make sure it's okay, & if not, tell them to please double-check & call you back because their head office said they'd do it...:

When I took my car there they said they couldn't service floating-cone* bolts, so I called their head office, who gave me the real details: They can't service them unless they have at least 8 turns of engagement (10mm), which mine have. I told my local store. They called me back to tell me "Ok, bring it in". I did, & for my 3 punctures after that it never even came up.

*also known as "wobble" bolts, even though nothing wobbles. The cone just slides sideways until the bolt is tightened.

·
Registered
13,096 Posts
Another source of tire information. Is the Tire Rack. They carry the largest range of tires, for all brand cars. I bought my Michelin Sport tires my 500 from them. They will ship the tires, to be mounted, to any of their preferred installers.

Years ago, I bought some tires. From Discount tire. For my daughters Accord. She used that car to travel back and forth from college. The Maiden new tire voyage back to college. She called me on the phone. The accord was vibrating terrible. On the highway. I told her to stop the car, just sit there. Gave Discount Tire a call. They sent a tow truck out to retrieved the accord. The tire installer, didn’t properly torque, the lug nuts. All of them were loose 30 miles out. discount tire apologize greatly. I told them you’re lucky one of those tires didn’t come off her car.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Came out the other morning to find my front passenger side tire totally flat. Fortunately, I had purchased an OEM repair kit since my used 500e came w/o one. Fixed the flat per the instructions and a week later, all is still well. However, the instructions state that the fix is temporary, to drive 45 MPH or lower and only for 100 miles. Went to an independent tire shop & they said as long as it’s holding air, keep using it! While I appreciated the lack of high pressured sales pitch (pushing 2 or 4 tires on me), I’m a bit leery of driving too far from home. Any thoughts?

Tires have good treads & looked almost new when I bought the car last summer. I have replacement “goop” on order so I’m doubly cautious until it arrives. I like the idea of not buying new tires unnecessarily, but not the idea of getting stranded waiting for AAA to arrive!
Use slime, as it's a permanent fix. However, my concern is the hole, itself. You don't know why it went flat. My advice is to take it to a reputable tire dealer and have it checked out. I don't think the folks you took it to took it seriously. They didn't want to be bothered. Tire stores get so much business, they just don't care, anymore. The bottom line is you don't want to be out in the middle of nowhere and get stranded.

·
Registered
16 Posts
You should always PATCH a tire rather than plugging it. Plugs can work loose. However, I can see that the sealant goo could make patching a chore.

Aside - America's Tire is a great company. Our local one closed and we are not happy about it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts