Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 500e (Billet Argento), 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TSI 5MT (Tungsten Silver), 2002 Honda VFR
522 Posts
I read towing any EV cannot be towed with drive wheels on the ground as it generates unmodulated regen that could cause damage to the battery and drive motor. So I’d say no unless you put it on a dolly with front wheels off the ground. This is because EV don’t have a “neutral” the drive unit is directly link with no way to decouple.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I do not think.
I tried towing in Neutral the other day and the car did NOT like it at all.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Glad I didn't buy one on Craigslist that had been towed. Guess I need to figure out how inferior dolly vs. four wheel towing is.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Well, my issue was that my battery was completely dead...

Maybe if it has enough juice it can work. I did switch to Neutral few times when I was driving and it rolled fine. But then again, that happened when I was already going, and the battery had enough power to drive the car. Maybe it does not like to "start" with Neutral as it anticipates towing or it is thinking the car is rolling away.

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 500e (Billet Argento), 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TSI 5MT (Tungsten Silver), 2002 Honda VFR
522 Posts
Well, my issue was that my battery was completely dead...

Maybe if it has enough juice it can work. I did switch to Neutral few times when I was driving and it rolled fine. But then again, that happened when I was already going, and the battery had enough power to drive the car. Maybe it does not like to "start" with Neutral as it anticipates towing or it is thinking the car is rolling away.
That isn’t the issue the issue is there’s no way to decouple the electric motor from the axles so as soon as you start towing it the electric motor it will be generating electricity that I cannot control. If you disconnect the axles sure you can tow it but it’s more work then it’s worth. The “neutral” in electric cars is essentially like D but without the creep, the motor still spins if you move the car back and forth. It’s not like a gasser where it disengage the gearbox.

·
Registered
15 Posts
If you disconnect the axles sure you can tow it but it’s more work then it’s worth. The “neutral” in electric cars is essentially like D but without the creep, the motor still spins if you move the car back and forth. It’s not like a gasser where it disengage the gearbox.
No, no, no. I get this part. It is permanently connected via a single gear.
However...

That isn’t the issue the issue is there’s no way to decouple the electric motor from the axles so as soon as you start towing it the electric motor it will be generating electricity that I cannot control.
I do not feel this one is right.
In Bolt "coasting regen" is quite high. In 500e it was much lower. Bolt hits 12 or more kW, Fiat would be below 10 all the time.
Then, looking at KIA Niro or Hyundai Kona. You can control how much regen you get the moment you let the gas off. Sorry, bad habit. You let the accelerator off. You can set it at basically rolling. No braking at all.

Also, by touching the pedal enough you can also be in equilibrium state - no load on the motor. Net power 0 kW.

I think the field is somehow balanced. Definitely in N it rolls easier. There must be something protecting the system.

·
Registered
522 Posts
It also has to do with reduction gearbox as Bolt is like 7.05:1 and Fiat is 9.60:1 think of it as a final drive on a gasser. Bigger motors also have more regen just like output is higher subsequently.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Front wheels off the ground. It's in user manual pg 271.

User manual:
[/URL]

RECREATIONAL TOWING (BEHIND MOTORHOME, ETC.)
Towing This Vehicle Behind Another Vehicle
Towing Condition Wheels OFF the Ground Single-Speed Transmission
Flat Tow NONE NOT ALLOWED
Dolly Tow Front OK
Rear NOT ALLOWED
On Trailer ALL OK
NOTE: This vehicle must be towed on a dolly or vehicle
trailer with the front wheels OFF the ground.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi I towed my 500 e from palm desert CA to Canada on a dolly. Very easy, just have to plan as you cannot back up far. A hassle to take it off if you have to back up. I made it all the way without backing up at all. The car was fine

·
Registered
522 Posts
Like I said earl as long as drive wheels are off the ground it’s okay

1 - 12 of 12 Posts