Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I could have sworn that when I originally played with the fog lights, I was able to turn them on and off regardless of the state of the headlights, with the exception that high beams turned off the fog lights. While the latter is still the case, I've found that my fogs won't come on without the headlights on as well.

Am I mis-remembering my "first time" and the correct functionality is that fogs only come on when headlights are on? Or, is my 500 being stupid? Can someone verify which way they are supposed to work?

I checked the manual, and it doesn't say anything about headlights or high beams, only that you press the button to turn on fog lights.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
I could have sworn that when I originally played with the fog lights, I was able to turn them on and off regardless of the state of the headlights, with the exception that high beams turned off the fog lights. While the latter is still the case, I've found that my fogs won't come on without the headlights on as well.

Am I mis-remembering my "first time" and the correct functionality is that fogs only come on when headlights are on? Or, is my 500 being stupid? Can someone verify which way they are supposed to work?

I checked the manual, and it doesn't say anything about headlights or high beams, only that you press the button to turn on fog lights.

Thanks!

Fogs work ONLY when the headlights are on and not on high.

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
first car I've EVER owned that didn't have a position for "Parking Lamps". its either all or nothing with the 500. kind of disappointed in that I like to drive with my 'parking lamps' on with the fog lamps when its really foggy out or raining. oh well........at least I was able to turn OFF those DRL's! :D

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
I just run the parking lights now all the time. Or driving lamp as their are called. Haven't used the fog lamps yet. I've always had fog lamps on all my cars. Never ever remember having a car, where the fogs lights worked, with out the main, being on. I like to use the fogs when it snows/rains, or on a dark 2 lane highway, out in the middle of nowhere.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I replaced my driving lights(DRLs) with yellow bulbs and others. I wish we could have a parking lights setting and flip the fogs on but I guess it's not available on the EU spec models either.

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
I just run the parking lights now all the time. Or driving lamp as their are called.
"parking lights"? "driving lamps"? you must mean you have your DRL's (Daytime Running Light) ON. there's no position on the light switch for just 'parking lights' like most cars.

technically speaking, since the lamps in lower part of the front bumper do not have amber/yellow bulbs, they are "driving lights". to be considered "fog lights", they should have amber or yellow bulbs. just sayin'.......

anyway, if the DRL's would also have the tail lamps come on, then I might have left that option 'on' but since it was only the front lamps, I turned it 'off' on my evic. I HATE DRL's.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So, what's the problem with DRLs that you hate them so much, but would leave them on if the tail lamps came on, too?

·
Registered
614 Posts
Wish there was a switch to turn DLR's off apart from programming it.

Can't sit parked and listen to the radio without the DLR's draining the battery unless I program them off.

Anyone know if there is there a way for DLR's to be programmed to come on only when the engine is running?

·
Registered
707 Posts
Wish there was a switch to turn DLR's off apart from programming it.

Can't sit parked and listen to the radio without the DLR's draining the battery unless I program them off.

Anyone know if there is there a way for DLR's to be programmed to come on only when the engine is running?
Why can't you turn on the radio without the car on? my radio turns on without the car being on.

·
Registered
207 Posts
You can definately listen to the radio when the car is parked, you don't even need the key just hit on. Also if the car is parked and the light switch is in the off position you can turn it to the on posistion and the dlr and tails come on and are parking lights. Again no key needed.

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
Same as others, radio without key, also mine is set to turn off after 20 minutes so if I wish I can just stop, turn off the car and listen for 20 minutes turning off the radio if I leave beforehand. As a side note, if you are in the car and have the radio turned Off and a call comes in the blue-tooth aspect still works activating the stereo speakers but with no indication of power to the head unit, found that out earlier today actually. I LOVE using the driving lights (call'em fogs if ya like, driving lights to me) at night, for me it just adds such a nice additional amount of light and makes night driving more enjoyable, occasionally someone thinks you have your brights but I haven't noticed running in this way actually causing other drivers distress from the lights, just seems they flash to inform you of your brights even when they aren't on.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Some light on the subject.

"parking lights"? "driving lamps"? you must mean you have your DRL's (Daytime Running Light) ON. there's no position on the light switch for just 'parking lights' like most cars.

technically speaking, since the lamps in lower part of the front bumper do not have amber/yellow bulbs, they are "driving lights". to be considered "fog lights", they should have amber or yellow bulbs. just sayin'.......

anyway, if the DRL's would also have the tail lamps come on, then I might have left that option 'on' but since it was only the front lamps, I turned it 'off' on my evic. I HATE DRL's.
In the US and Canada the low beam headlights must be on when fog lights are on. Fog lights may be either white or amber. DRL's are required by federal regulations and as such may not legally be disabled; they sure make a small car more visible to oncoming traffic on the rural roads here in the intermountain west.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I ran uo Mt Symour, Vancouver, in heavy fog and Was able to have highs and fogs on, found the vis to be adequate but just. When not in the fog I had one **** of a rip up the mountain! Only scared myself once doingbaround 60 on a 30 corner. I was mainlybworried the tires would lose their grip and I would take out a couplemof cuclists but theybheld well. I'm not a performance driver at all so exploring my limits...

·
Registered
71 Posts
Some places even have laws prohibiting the use of Fog lights if it's not foggy out as they can distract other drivers.

I also know its law in the all of Canada for modern vehicles to be equipped with DRLs.

·
Banned
5,539 Posts
In the US and Canada the low beam headlights must be on when fog lights are on. Fog lights may be either white or amber. DRL's are required by federal regulations and as such may not legally be disabled; they sure make a small car more visible to oncoming traffic on the rural roads here in the intermountain west.
I am not to sure about that i.e. low beam headlights on when fogs are on. With my 09 Shelby I had no driving lights on (back lights on) and the fogs operated down on the front bumper. Just in case no one can understand me, the fog lights down low were on the headlights were completely dark and the tails were on.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts