Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a high back, full sized car seat that houses a two year old and a booster with a three year old in it. For those of you who have children or infants, how do you find the back seats work out?

·
Registered
289 Posts
The booster seated child should have lots of room. The "babyseat" might require you to slide the front seat ahead a bit. I have a 5 and 2 yr old and they love the car.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
i hate to sound like an a**, but homnestly, i would not put children in the back of a 500..not a a regular basis.

·
Registered
582 Posts
We don't have children but we babysat my wifes niece and nephew and that's when I realized that the head rest design for the back seats are ridiculous. The kids had plenty of space for their feet but couldn't sit back comfortably because of the way the headrests pushed their heads forward. We ended up just removing the headrests, good thing the kids were short enough to fit below the top of the seat.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We don't have children but we babysat my wifes niece and nephew and that's when I realized that the head rest design for the back seats are ridiculous. The kids had plenty of space for their feet but couldn't sit back comfortably because of the way the headrests pushed their heads forward. We ended up just removing the headrests, good thing the kids were short enough to fit below the top of the seat.
Yes, I felt that way about the headrests in general so it's no problem for me to remove those to better accommodate anyone, kids or not. Also helps for better acess to the strap hooks on the back side of the seats anyway.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
I've put two 4 year olds in their full baby seats with no issues. Move the seat slightly up and everyone is comfy. My kids must take their shoes off or they leave nice marks on the leather, lol.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Most people would agree that their children are the most important thing to them but we can't wrap them in bubble wrap. Enjoy yor car bring your kids and be safe. This car is safer than almost anything we were carted around in as kids.:)

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
This car is safer than almost anything we were carted around in as kids.:)
that is most certainly true....i cant imagine how poorly some of those cars would do under todays standards. geo metro+suv+coffee drinking, cell phone talking soccer mom=:eek:

i guess i should say if the 500 is ones only car and space allows, whatever needs to go in back is ok. if there is a second car that is safer id opt for that and have fun in the 500 by myself.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
I don't really like my kid that much any way. She is 3 but 42 inches tall. She fits in her booster seat with back and has room to spare. My wife is 5 foot 7 (5 foot 10 in her usual shoes) and has plenty of leg room with the kid in the back.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
i hate to sound like an a**, but homnestly, i would not put children in the back of a 500..not a a regular basis.

I don't know how old you are, but I'd love to see the crash test ratings of the cars I rode in from birth on up. I bet you there's no good news there.

oops. someone already said that. I need to read more and talk less.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
People often forget where they came from. On a flip note I find myself way over protective of my son - so I totally get it. I doubt I would have strapped his car seat into my old 850 sedan.

I have no problem cramming him in the back of my 500 though. :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ah, great input everyone! Thanks :)

I went down today to shove those seats and kids into the back of one so I'm adjusted when I take it home, and it was NOT that bad. At all. I was actually rather impressed, considering how uncomfortable it is for an adult. YES, thank you for the shoes-off policy suggestion, I'm surprised that didn't ever cross my mind. Even worse with the cloth seats IMO!

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
I don't have any issues with seat scuffs. My child has no feet.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I drive my kids 8 & 4 to school most days and they love it. I actually like the fact that since the car is so high I can step into the back and easily help buckle in the younger one as if it's a larger SUV.

·
Registered
825 Posts
I fondly remember driving to town with my folks driving at normal speed while us kids rode on the tailgate and bounced our feet off the road.

When I was a teen, i fell out of the back of a truck going about 45 mph because I was riding back there in a lawn chair. Dodged the reaper on that one.

Good times!

·
Registered
289 Posts
I fondly remember driving to town with my folks driving at normal speed while us kids rode on the tailgate and bounced our feet off the road

Me too. Used to ride to the cottage in the back of an old Ram with my brother. We would have been aroun 8-11 yrs old. 2hr trip, 90-100 kms hr most of the way. Very safe. Now child services will come get you if you let your kids ride an escilator without a helmet and orange vest.:)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts