Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I'm a complete newbie here - so please forgive how shitty this comes across. I threw on a less than $250 set of Eibach lowering springs on my car and I couldn't be more thrilled with it for a daily driver as far as handling and lowering. Can someone please explain the advantage to coil overs to the tune of 5 plus times the expense? I honestly don't get it but I'd like to understand what I'm missing!

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
With coilovers you have the ability to adjust ride height to where you want it. Adjust each corner for weight balance, and stiffness. Improve handling further then just springs.

If you have a daily driver, and only want to lower the car, get springs. If you want more control, and functionality, get coilovers

·
Registered
124 Posts
pretty much perfectly explained. That said. Ive had coilovers on my daily driver for a few years now :p

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
It's a great explination - exactly what I was looking for. If I were autocrossing I can see the advantage. But as a daily driver it makes no sense whatsoever to go that route for the huge price difference. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
117 Posts
With coilovers you have the ability to adjust ride height to where you want it. Adjust each corner for weight balance, and stiffness. Improve handling further then just springs.

If you have a daily driver, and only want to lower the car, get springs. If you want more control, and functionality, get coilovers
I'll add that adding lowering springs only has a reputation of causing accelerated wear on stock dampers; coil-overs come with dampers designed to accept a lower ride height.

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
I'll add that adding lowering springs only has a reputation of causing accelerated wear on stock dampers; coil-overs come with dampers designed to accept a lower ride height.
This is exactly why I am spending the extra $ to have the better longer term product rather than saving $ now only to need to spend it later anyways, it's just the logical choice.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Agreed. That is one reason I did a only a modest 1.2-inch drop with Madness progressives that is a wonderful compromise; the ride is only marginally affected, but roll and dive is greatly reduced. The rear end stays very planted now during hard cornering. I think that the Sport dampers are better than the Sport springs, because it feels RIGHT now with the somewhat lower and more controlled springs. I think that in this case, the dampers may have LESS work to do than when the (stock) springs are just too soft. If half the travel is eliminated by say 2-inch drops or more, the stock damper has not much travel with which to exert is control. With the 1.2-inchers I have never bottomed out (well maybe on a speed bump), either, and believe-you-me, I have thrashed them. Today I let a friend who has raced drive the car HARD through twisties and he thought that for this kind of car, for the street, they were just right in both springing and damping. If the dampers somehow do wear out prematurely, well, then I'll get better ones. JMO.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
in my experience, a quality shock (Bilstein, Koni,....) and a quality lowering spring is ideal for a street car. The tuning capability is largely lost on a car used on the street. Plus, coilovers are harsh rides. I've driven cars with street oriented coilovers and they still rode like bricks. Even on the softer settings.

If you track your car or run autocross, coilovers are great. If you like bombing around on back roads and junk...springs and quality shocks. Oh, and swaybars when available. I think you'll love this car when a rear sway bar becomes available.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
This is exactly why I am spending the extra $ to have the better longer term product rather than saving $ now only to need to spend it later anyways, it's just the logical choice.
Assuming the front mounting points stay the same, I'll bet that by the time my struts and shocks wear out from the H&R's that there'll be either Abarth or third party (Koni or Bilstein) parts that function on lower ride height while giving better handling characteristics than the current struts and dampers.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
in my experience, a quality shock (Bilstein, Koni,....) and a quality lowering spring is ideal for a street car. The tuning capability is largely lost on a car used on the street. Plus, coilovers are harsh rides. I've driven cars with street oriented coilovers and they still rode like bricks. Even on the softer settings.

If you track your car or run autocross, coilovers are great. If you like bombing around on back roads and junk...springs and quality shocks. Oh, and swaybars when available. I think you'll love this car when a rear sway bar becomes available.
All I'm waiting for is Rob to finally release it! :D

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
Assuming the front mounting points stay the same, I'll bet that by the time my struts and shocks wear out from the H&R's that there'll be either Abarth or third party (Koni or Bilstein) parts that function on lower ride height while giving better handling characteristics than the current struts and dampers.
Indeed that is very likely however I still like the idea of doing it and not having to redo it sooner rather than later, spend again later on down to road or deal with it when that times comes, this will allow me to do it and forget it for long enough and at the substantially lower costs presently available to me it is an option I simply cannot pass up. :cool:

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Indeed that is very likely however I still like the idea of doing it and not having to redo it sooner rather than later, spend again later on down to road or deal with it when that times comes, this will allow me to do it and forget it for long enough and at the substantially lower costs presently available to me it is an option I simply cannot pass up. :cool:
I KNEW that!:) If my guess is correct, you're getting those coilovers at about 50% off which is quite a deal. For me, the retail cost was prohibitive and they seemed like a pain in the posterior to get adjusted properly just for street use

I REALLY hope you DO enjoy them once you get them installed and adjusted! .

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
I KNEW that!:) If my guess is correct, you're getting those coilovers at about 50% off which is quite a deal. For me, the retail cost was prohibitive and they seemed like a pain in the posterior to get adjusted properly just for street use I REALLY hope you DO enjoy them once you get them installed and adjusted! .
Thanks buddy, not quite 50% but substantially lower than normal and I am hopeful they'll give what I want, where I live I like the idea of adjustment as opposed to simply dropping with springs, as of right now my plans all point towards mods starting around Feb and rims/tires are likely to be a couple months later once the weather improves.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Thanks buddy, not quite 50% but substantially lower than normal and I am hopeful they'll give what I want, where I live I like the idea of adjustment as opposed to simply dropping with springs, as of right now my plans all point towards mods starting around Feb and rims/tires are likely to be a couple months later once the weather improves.
I wish TWM would hurry up and release their short shifter. That, window tint, and possibly the timing controller from RRM are the next things in line. After that maybe wheels and tires and leather interior. Somewhere in there is hopefully a trip to Va. for the 2012 FFO event.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts