Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone replaced the factory air filter with a free flow air filter. If so, what are your impressions. Considering dropping one in my 500C automatic. Trying to decide if its worth the money.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Yes, however not worth $100. Wait for K&N to come out with a drop in filter. We have a Competizione in wife's 500C. Is good, but too expensive. K&N should be about $50.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I have the drop in foam filter. I am happy with it. I will keep it until someone comes out with a short fresh air system that breaths air from the top/front with a heat shield/ air box. Adds a bit more growl and better dirt filtration... I race BMX and find myself in the dirt/dust often.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Guys: Thanks for you input. Based on your comments I think I will wait for something less expensive to come along. I just put a K&N High Flow Air Cleaner Filter in my Cadillac SRX and is was less than $50. Another customer who purchased his Fiat 500 from my dealer did a cold air induction kit and after market exhausts. Its a 500 Sport manual transmission and he is very happy with the results. My understanding is there are few CAI's, if any, that will work on the automatic transmission at this time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the competizione cold air intake in my automatic. After being told by two suppliers that the automatic requires a different design to fit, I took the car to Mark Allison in Upland, CA, and he installed it in 20 minutes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a free flow air filter that was installed before I got a cold air intake. I don't need it now, so I'm certainly willing to part with it. I paid $100, but would certainly take less if you want it. Let me know!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Guys: It's not the cost that concerns me that much. It's does it really do anything. Those who have used it, can you tell me if it made any difference other than sound like power and gas milage?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Free flow air filter

Has anyone replaced the factory air filter with a free flow air filter. If so, what are your impressions. Considering dropping one in my 500C automatic. Trying to decide if its worth the money.
Cremaley - I installed the cold air intake after I sunk $100 into a free flow air filter. Used it for four days. Let me know if you want it - no doubt we can work something out.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cremaley - I installed the cold air intake after I sunk $100 into a free flow air filter. Used it for four days. Let me know if you want it - no doubt we can work something out.
After only four days of use, were you able to tell if it made any difference in the performance of your 500. Performance improvement is definately more important than price. Some people I have spoken with say it changes the sound of the engine but nothing more. Was that your experience? Thanks.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I didn't notice any performance gains, maybe a bit more throttle response. For sure is better than OEM paper filter and is thiner, which alowes more air volume in the air box.
It makes a difference, but you won't really feel it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts