Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my question of the morning is... has anyone added a front brace bar,and was it useful, or just something pretty under the hood....yes I know that's actually two questions (grin).

feedback appreciated

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
With a short wheel base and a sturdy frame, I don't see the advantage

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
So my question of the morning is... has anyone added a front brace bar,and was it useful, or just something pretty under the hood....yes I know that's actually two questions (grin).

feedback appreciated
is this what you are referring to? this was seen at SEMA...

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
I think you mean a front strut tower brace, it adds weight if that's your intent, otherwise the only other two functions it servers is to allow zip tied cables to be run one side to the other and it makes your wallet lighter. The above pictured cow catcher brush guard or whatever it might be is just all together pointless for such a car as far as I am concerned.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I doubt there's an advantage on the normal 500 (though any chassis stiffening is ok in my book, as long as you can deal with the ride), but I think it would be of some help in an Abarth, once they get here.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks

Yes I meant the strut tower bar,thanks for the comments. The cow deflector/push bar looks stupid (not in a good way)

·
Registered
133 Posts
Ordered mine last week.. Will keep all informed.. Top and bottom braces. I placed them on my S2000 when I first got it and it made a difference.. Most of my cars I placed them on... It does make a difference if combined with the right tires and a little lowering or stiffer springs.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I always find it interesting when someone critiques a product they haven't tried. These are unibody cars, they flex. Do a search for "body creaks" and you will find threads about owners complaining about creaking over bumps and driveways in their brand new 500s. Any stiffening you can do is wise, and these don't stiffen the ride like springs do.
I've got the upper and lower bars on both of my cars, and along with the Vogtland springs, the cars corner perfectly flat under flat-out cornering. The Competizione Sport bars are stainless, and weigh about 4lbs for the pair

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
I always find it interesting when someone critiques a product they haven't tried. These are unibody cars, they flex. Do a search for "body creaks" and you will find threads about owners complaining about creaking over bumps and driveways in their brand new 500s. Any stiffening you can do is wise, and these don't stiffen the ride like springs do.
I've got the upper and lower bars on both of my cars, and along with the Vogtland springs, the cars corner perfectly flat under flat-out cornering. The Competizione Sport bars are stainless, and weigh about 4lbs for the pair
How much are they, Mark? I had a custom made top brace on a Hyundai Scoupe Turbo and it made a huge difference. On this car, not sure.

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts
The 500 is a narrow car so I just wonder if bracing it that way would improve or degrade performance. Would be nice to have a team of mechanics, like a race car team, and be able to swap things in and out on a whim.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have the strut brace on my car and noticed the difference, I did get the lower brace but did not put it on as I have the H&R springs and I think it would rub on speed bumps. It works for me.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Having jacked up a MK4 VW Golf before and actually measured the flex and movement in the strut towers I can see the benefits of a brace. Has anyone run one with the RRM intake is there room for both?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Well, got my brace, packaged like a mummy, which protected the beautiful red powder coating. Good job Mark! The one I got is stainless steel upper and lower. The only thing I had to remove was the pretty cover that says FIAT, didnt have to re route any air ducts or wires. The upper took 10 mins. I regress some.. Florida is flat in Ft. Lauderdale.. but just so happens on my way to work one of 6 lane roads i drive every day has a tight S turn.. So on the way to work I took it hard.. before the strut.. Some movement.. Then I place it on at work, just the top one.. **** no movement, very tight around corners, just felt all around tighter even over RR tracks..
Looks great under the hood also. Mark you all did a great job! Cant wait to post my photos here tonight and also place the lower one on.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Can't you fit the engine cover back on?

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Can't you fit the engine cover back on?
I gather it can't fit. Maybe place a nice FIAT logo sticker on the remaining black plastic?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts