Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, My daughter has a 2012 Fiat 500 with 33,000 miles on it. There's a very loud squeal coming from the front left wheel only when turning very sharp left. Everything I can see looks ok and the front end feels tight. Any clue what it might be? I was told a CV joint, but the boots are in great shape and there's no clunking at all, just that dang squeal! There doesn't seem to be any play in the wheel like a wheel bearing either. Thanks in advance for any help!

·
Registered
12,662 Posts
If it were a wheel bearing. You’d hear a clicking/grinding noise all the time. Can’t be a warped rotor. They stay constant, even when turning. Tie in rod, a chucking noise. Squealing occurs, if you had power steering, with fluid. It was low. Your power steering rack is electric. Unless there’s a issue with it turning.

My bet. CV joint. Whether the boot is torn or not.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Does it do at a slow speed, like a 90 degree intersection, or does it do at higher speed, like a fast tight left hand corner? Does it make noise if you are stationary and turn the wheel to the left? Is it rotational? Let's take a guess with just the information currently available, the right guess wins...nothing. My pitch is for something to do with a disc or a caliper, just a pure wild guess (though I do have my reason, but not a very good one).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Aluminum wheels, rotors and pads are new. It only makes the noise at slow speed maximum left turn, like when you're pulling into a tight parking space. I've put the car on jack stands and it doesn't make the noise, so the suspension has to be under load.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Aluminum wheels, rotors and pads are new. It only makes the noise at slow speed maximum left turn, like when you're pulling into a tight parking space. I've put the car on jack stands and it doesn't make the noise, so the suspension has to be under load.
If you go to a parking lot, and just keep turning left with maximum lock on the steering, would it make noise constantly, as in it's rotational noise? Or is it momentary noise, like it makes noise as you turn the wheel to full lock, but once it gets there, it doesn't?

·
Registered
12,662 Posts
Wonder if there a issue, with the electric power steering rack? Making the noise. My advice, take it in Fiat service department, or a qualified independent service center.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
It would make constant noise
Ok, so the noise is rotational noise. Okay, one more little experiment - if you go around the circle in a parking lot with full lock on, and apply a brake very gently, would it go away? There are three things that could make rotating noise on the front left wheel area - the hub, brake disc, CV joint. You say squeaking noise, that makes me think of the brake, because CV joint or hub would normally make rather a grinding kind of noise. But if the noise does not disappear with application of the brake, then we can eliminate the brake as a culprit.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Not to sound like an idiot, but are you sure it's not the tire on the pavement sound, like when turning into a parking spot. If its not, Id say something with the power steering rack. Mine was replaced twice, but not for squealing.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a 2012 Pop that seemingly developed an excruciating (to my ears) squeal at low speeds, and when slowing down...replaced rotors & pads, squeal disappeared and returned, and I thought I just needed to bed brake pads in longer(still noise from left side)...mentioned to mechanic in passing, he suggested I bring car in...discovered loose rear left wheel cover, which would loosen up at times, and produced offending noise...replaced all 4 with oem and noise disappeared...

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is a little late, but I had a similar issue. It only happened when pulling into or out of a tight parking spot or driving slowly around a sharp corner.
It ended up being the bushings in my shocks had worn away. My shocks felt fine and the CV joint noise didn't happen often. I finally changed my shocks because I heard a clunk when hitting hard bumps. After they got replaced there is not more grinding.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts