Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I saw this post and picture on a Miata Forum after i saw this smaller style plate on a mini cooper at work hence the google search

So i was thinking that if they make a euro front license plate mount and we cut our plate down to fit
it will not block the grill at all and we have a plate and not get a ticket...

i was also thinking of having a cool euro plate made with my current license number from my plate
that way its my number and then you have that cool factor in front

let me know what you all think

PS the retractable plate bracket is a great idea for show...if you are not displaying your plate while in motion its a ticket in states that are
mandated to have a front license plate...in california right now its high on the list as a revenue source for a budget strapped economy

Attachments

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
Sounds great in theory but I imagine they could still hassle you over the fact it is not legit even though the proper identification is being used, might wish to check into that before hand for your area. If so seems like that's be cool and not blocking off the grill area seems ideal.
what HE said.......

·
Registered
453 Posts
I also like the idea, but again, concerned about legality.
My solution was to mount a normal plate with the OEM holder, but using 3M auto-tape to hold it on rather than screws. That way, if the laws ever change, or if i happen to sell it to someone in another state, or move, that doesn't require the front plate, I can remove it without ugly holes in the bumper.
I wonder if a legal plate can have the top/bottom cut off, so that it's still appropriately reflective and junk, just not with the stupid state junk above and below the number?

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
I also like the idea, but again, concerned about legality. My solution was to mount a normal plate with the OEM holder, but using 3M auto-tape to hold it on rather than screws. That way, if the laws ever change, or if i happen to sell it to someone in another state, or move, that doesn't require the front plate, I can remove it without ugly holes in the bumper. I wonder if a legal plate can have the top/bottom cut off, so that it's still appropriately reflective and junk, just not with the stupid state junk above and below the number?
I am going to say it is illegal, I know in NC you cannot even have a cover that blocks the top and bottom more than the smallest edge without it being a problem, removing the state designation and sticker areas is almost certainly illegal and will likely result in tickets and fines. I believe this will apply to all US states.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the only catch is there are no stickers on the front here in California i will check tomorrow with the men in blue or who ever shows up first in the ER

·
Registered
4,580 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
I think ANY alteration is illegal, if improperly mounted, not secured in the proper orientation possibly, removing or altering and aspect should be avoided but call your local DMV office if you need to get confirmation. For novelty purposes you might locate a UK style plate made custom that contains the same as your rear tag might get you some attention but being a foreign car in many peoples eyes still you may find that you get away with it longer or depending on the responding officer.

·
Registered
237 Posts
No offense, but I just don't get what's the point of trimming the license plate. You're putting on the front license plate to avoid ticket. Yet, by trimming your front license plate, you're drawing police's attention again and putting yourself at the risky spot again. IMO, why don't just not putting the license plate and wait until I get caught for that? Then I will pay the fixer and done. Coz if you still get caught for trimming the license plate. I am sure they will make you pay more than just a fixer

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i always think different against the grains look at things from another angle saw this on multiple cars now here in cali

thought id post my findings and get responses id like a front plate permanently attached and not blocking the flow of the front grill i have never put license plates on the front of my cars and never have gotten tickets but my grigio came violated with not two but 4 screw holes..so i like this car like my iphone and my mac because its different its italian.....

so its meant to have a little plate up front and im going to find a way since nobody else has tried i may have to go down the path first...again looking for other opinions good or bad......this cars the bomb

so im leaning toward the new Euro German plate in reflective yellow What? or a shorter version with my plate numbers now to find the Fiat euro plate holder for the front...any body have any ideas where to get one....

·
Registered
40 Posts
i always think different against the grains look at things from another angle saw this on multiple cars now here in cali

thought id post my findings and get responses id like a front plate permanently attached and not blocking the flow of the front grill i have never put license plates on the front of my cars and never have gotten tickets but my grigio came violated with not two but 4 screw holes..so i like this car like my iphone and my mac because its different its italian.....

so its meant to have a little plate up front and im going to find a way since nobody else has tried i may have to go down the path first...again looking for other opinions good or bad......this cars the bomb

so im leaning toward the new Euro German plate in reflective yellow What? or a shorter version with my plate numbers now to find the Fiat euro plate holder for the front...any body have any ideas where to get one....
Good luck with the experiment. If I had to guess (or hope) I'm sure altering a license plate in any way is technically illegal but I really wonder how likely it is that you would get busted? I too have seen a number of cars with cropped or euro style plates, be interesting to know if any of the drivers have been cited. Anyway, let us know what you find out, I'm very curious for I REALLY wouldn't want a front plate on my Abarth. But if necessary I think the cropped plate is a great compromise, better IMO than the Euro-style plate which I think would be a lot more noticeable to LA's finest.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I've mounted a front Euro Plate with my Cal Lic Plate number and I also have the legal front Cal Lic Plate mounted on a hide-away frame mounted under front bumper. I know it's not legal in Cali but there are so many Corvette's, BMW's and other high dollar cars without them and they don't seem to get pulled over. I've been running like this for a few months and at first I was a tad nervous whenever I saw a cop but now I don't give it a second thought. If they are gonna ticket me for that they'll also ticket me for my tinted windows but, 'I'm not bothered!" If I do get stopped for the front plate I'll kindly say "I have it but forgot to flip it up". Might work?

·
Registered
6,827 Posts
So I saw this post and picture on a Miata Forum after i saw this smaller style plate on a mini cooper at work hence the google search

So i was thinking that if they make a euro front license plate mount and we cut our plate down to fit
it will not block the grill at all and we have a plate and not get a ticket...

i was also thinking of having a cool euro plate made with my current license number from my plate
that way its my number and then you have that cool factor in front

let me know what you all think

PS the retractable plate bracket is a great idea for show...if you are not displaying your plate while in motion its a ticket in states that are
mandated to have a front license plate...in california right now its high on the list as a revenue source for a budget strapped economy
Cutting, or any modification which obscures/mars any printed information from, a state-issued plate will likely carry a fine. I know that is illegal in the state of Wisconsin. I don't know whether having an EU-styled plate made would fly. I'd check the exact verbiage in your statute. On most occasions, if you're required to display the front plate, the statute specifies displaying the plate(s) issued.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts