Fiat 500 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Ok so apparently you cannot order just the socket. What I was given was a headlight socket for a Jeep Compass... I don't know, don't ask...
I'll have to order a new turn signal assembly.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Friend who works in parts for a local Hyundai dealership contacted his parts connection at a local Chrysler dealership, which is owned by the same group. He's gotten me plenty of parts for my car over the past 2 years at dealer cost so I didn't think anything of it when he told me they could order me just the socket. Oh well, it was like 6 bucks.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Update:

I just received a brand new light assembly in the mail and plugged it in. THE TURN SIGNAL STILL DOESN'T WORK!:mad:
So now what?

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
So I guess I'll have to take it in for multiple rounds of costly and likely inconclusive diagnostics testing. Or maybe just find a way to splice it into the wiring for the fender mounted turn signal? I'm out of warranty now so I really don't mind a little cutting and splicing, as long as it works.

·
Banned
4,743 Posts
Something doesn't make sense.

Where is the last place in the lamp circuit where you have juice when the turn signals are turned on?

TEdolph

·
Registered
487 Posts
The BCM provides power to the front turn, side repeater and rear turn to 3 different wires (all dark blu/blk on pins 3,18 & 8) but they're all connected to the same bus inside the BCM; i.e. if one is working, it's not the BCM. They all have separate grounds, however. That'd be my guess. Right front turn grounds at point G010A in the left rear of the engine compartment.

·
Banned
4,743 Posts
The BCM provides power to the front turn, side repeater and rear turn to 3 different wires (all dark blu/blk on pins 3,18 & 8) but they're all connected to the same bus inside the BCM; i.e. if one is working, it's not the BCM. They all have separate grounds, however. That'd be my guess. Right front turn grounds at point G010A in the left rear of the engine compartment.
Now, can you tell me where my USB port grounds to the body on my 2012 POP?

Tedolph

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I'll check this out tomorrow. Do the DRLs on that side run off the same ground? I don't don't know why the turn signal doesn't work but the DRLs do.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Newbie here, so, Bluecorn, how did you gain the pin numbers and ground locations? Those are like the wiring codes from a service manual. Is a service manual available? From where? How much? Haynes doesn't show one, as I have been looking for one.
AnlaufJohn

·
Registered
12,566 Posts
Now, can you tell me where my USB port grounds to the body on my 2012 POP?

Tedolph
The USB is not grounded to the body of you car. It's grounded to the sound system. Which is grounded to the vehicle. The sound system has circuit boards, full of microprocessors. What are you planning to try or fix? Or shall we say. Fry or burn up. Your think you can ground a USB source to 12 volts. There very little power running to that USB. Very little.

Pull the radio, take it to someone that repairs them.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Newbie here, so, Bluecorn, how did you gain the pin numbers and ground locations? Those are like the wiring codes from a service manual. Is a service manual available? From where? How much? Haynes doesn't show one, as I have been looking for one.
AnlaufJohn
You can get the manual, on CDROM, from FCA. It's not cheap though.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #37 (Edited)
Ok so that should help narrow things down.

- Turn signal doesn't work
- Replaced the entire light assembly and bulb, still doesn't work.
- Both the parking light and the DRL on the original and the new light assembly do work without any issues.

If the the DRL and turn signal run off the same ground, yet one works and one doesn't, wouldn't that mean it isn't a ground issue then? And it can't be an issue with the light assembly itself since the problem persists even with a brand new assembly plugged into the harness.

The last time I checked the voltage at power lead in the turn signal socket it was peaking at 12V with the flashers on. Not a consistent 12v, then again, I checked the other side which was working and it would read about the same. No more no less. I am so confused now as to what could be wrong with this thing.

·
Registered
487 Posts
If the the DRL and turn signal run off the same ground, yet one works and one doesn't, wouldn't that mean it isn't a ground issue then? And it can't be an issue with the light assembly itself since the problem persists even with a brand new assembly plugged into the harness.
They connect to the same grounding point, they're not the same wire. I suspect the problem lies somewhere between the socket and ground attachment.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #39 (Edited)
So are 2 of these 4 wires on the main plug grounds?

I can see the separate ground wires coming from each socket, going somewhere inside the assembly and then what looks like coming out as one black ground wire where it all plugs in.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Forgot to ask, this point G010A is that underneath the cowl at the base of the windshield? The last time my car was in for work they had removed that to access something. I could tell because they broke one of the clips that hold the edge in place.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts