Fiat 500 Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Banned
4,743 Posts
The USB is not grounded to the body of you car. It's grounded to the sound system. Which is grounded to the vehicle. The sound system has circuit boards, full of microprocessors. What are you planning to try or fix? Or shall we say. Fry or burn up. Your think you can ground a USB source to 12 volts. There very little power running to that USB. Very little.

Pull the radio, take it to someone that repairs them.
The head unit has already been replaced, the USB cable replaced (twice) and some cable behind the dash as well. Behavior the same in all cases. If we get a really warm day (rare in Seattle) it starts working for a few days, then stops working. If it has been warm for a while, and then gets suddenly cold, i.e. overnight; then it starts working again for a few days.

So, it seems like a continuity issue to me.

The question is, where?

Tedolph

·
Banned
4,743 Posts
b
Forgot to ask, this point G010A is that underneath the cowl at the base of the windshield? The last time my car was in for work they had removed that to access something. I could tell because they broke one of the clips that hold the edge in place.
A clue!

TEdolph

·
Registered
487 Posts
So are 2 of these 4 wires on the main plug grounds?

I can see the separate ground wires coming from each socket, going somewhere inside the assembly and then what looks like coming out as one black ground wire where it all plugs in.

Hard to tell. that 4 fire connector doesn't match my diagram.

Forgot to ask, this point G010A is that underneath the cowl at the base of the windshield? The last time my car was in for work they had removed that to access something. I could tell because they broke one of the clips that hold the edge in place.
It doesn't say, sorry.

·
Registered
12,713 Posts
The head unit has already been replaced, the USB cable replaced (twice) and some cable behind the dash as well. Behavior the same in all cases. If we get a really warm day (rare in Seattle) it starts working for a few days, then stops working. If it has been warm for a while, and then gets suddenly cold, i.e. overnight; then it starts working again for a few days.

So, it seems like a continuity issue to me.

The question is, where?

Tedolph
The ground is in the radio harness, going to the back of the radio. Look it up. Get a real media player. It get 114 degrees here. Minus 10-15. No issues here. If your radio and USB have been replace so many time. I'd look at your cheap flash stick. If it was a ground issue your radio won't play at all.

·
Registered
18 Posts
You might have try installing a new bulb in the other side also. I had a Volvo at one time that if you installed a new bulb in one side, you had to install a new bulb in the other side also. It had to do with the resistance difference between the new and old bulb.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Bump!

I solved the problem. It was indeed a bad socket. Pulled one from a wrecker and cut and spliced it in. Seems to be working just fine.

The reason it took so long for me to get around to fixing it is because it would continue to work intermittently. Enough that it didn't bother me too much.

Anyway, there it is. Bad socket!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Glad to hear you solved the problem. I had a similar thing happen, but it turned out to be a different root cause. In my case, replacing the blinker bulb did nothing until I replaced the DRL bulb also. The DRL's turn off when the blinker actuates, and I figured it must have something to do with that. Never did figure out the real 'why' of my issue, but the fix worked.
-Ed

41 - 49 of 49 Posts