Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I am gauging the possibility of selling mine. In my area which is rural Kansas, I have noticed it sucks in snow, mud, and scary in the wind. I purchased mine August 27 2011, it has 4546 miles as of now.

Asking $17,800

·
Registered
13,460 Posts
Any car sucks in rural Kansas with the wind. Why didn't you get snow tires for it. That would help a lot with the little snow we've had this year.

You really should list the options your car came with, if you really want to sell it.
Lots of brand new 500's on the studio lot, 2 blocks from me, at the price your asking.
Good luck selling your car.:)

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Well I am gauging the possibility of selling mine. In my area which is rural Kansas, I have noticed it sucks in snow, mud, and scary in the wind. I purchased mine August 27 2011, it has 4546 miles as of now.

Asking $17,800
Unless you got an abarth before anyone else your price is way high!

Fiat 500 Argento Sport

·
Registered
124 Posts
I brought a new Sport 5 speed with Tom Tom (List price $19,000.00) for $17,500.00 on 1/2/2012. I brought the car in New York City where everything seems to be more expensive. I believe that your Forward Care is transferable and that may give you an advantage since Fiat has ended that program. I think the 500 is a really teriffic car and if it were me. I would give the car more time. Just my 2 cents. Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I was offered 14.4K to trade in my POP, but I live in a populated area.

Best bet, trade it in and take it on the chin.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
It's hard to say. People will pay what the market dictates. If he wants to ask $17,800 it's his prerogative. No hurt in trying. If he gets no hits on it....drop it down. It's all on how bad he wants out of it.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Funny, I piled through 2 feet of snow with mine with no issues and the traction control is surprisingly good on turns with bad weather. You can buy a new one for $16,300 here. Try $14,000 at best.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I'm with lorvar and smark as far as handling in snow...just took my beauty driving through a 19" snowstorm a few days back with no problems at all (full on snow tires - Yokohama Ice Guards). She has had no problems in lesser amounts of snow, slush or ice as of yet.

As for wind...
I live against the foothills in Colorado, work literally 5 minutes down the road from the National Wind Technology Center (the nation's premier wind energy technology research facility - according to their site) and located in a natural wind tunnel (funnels wind off the mountains and from the mouths of several canyons). We get high winds, gusty winds, steady winds all the freaking time...enough to make me curse on a weekly basis. I have more problems walking across the lot to get into my car then I do driving my car.

Mud...can't speak to that, I have not taken the 500 off paved or graveled road.

I'm sorry you are having enough problems handling the wind, snow and mud to consider selling. If you are thinking of selling only because of the aforementioned weather related issues - the right tires and learning how to drive in adverse conditions may be a boon to you that would allow you to keep the car.

As for asking price, Mr Pickles nailed it.

Reactions: lorvar

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Have studded snow tires on mine. All I can say is WOW! First snow storm of the season I was passing cars!

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
794 Posts
Hmm, sounds to me as though there is something more than the the 'sucks in wind, snow and mud' story. We have wind and snow, and lots of cars just get through it. Mud? No idea.

If one buys a car, and then discovers that it is not what was hoped for, that is a disappointment. Hard to accept, but not unreasonable. My offer would be this; acknowledge that the 500 is not for you, sell it and stop blaming the car. And I do hope that you get a fair price, and find a happy buyer.

·
Registered
13,460 Posts
The OP not making up anything. It is very very windy out in the middle Kansas, and towards the west part of the state. I've only driven once in snow this year, with the OEM Continentals on the 500. The little car can get squirrely changing lanes on the highway, with 2-3 inches of snow slosh on the road! You can get around. Snow tires are a good idea. Western Kansas gets a lot more snow then we do here in the Kansas City area.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
It's OK not to like the car after all. That happens and fair enough. Try and get your price. if you can great, if not you know what to do. Good luck with the sale!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Funny, I piled through 2 feet of snow with mine with no issues and the traction control is surprisingly good on turns with bad weather. You can buy a new one for $16,300 here. Try $14,000 at best.
same here.
i live just outside of detroit, mi. we didnt have many days that snowed this year but the days that did were somewhat heavy.
my 500 pop with manual 5spd handled just fine in the snow with the stock all seasons. i noticed that when i would start driving from a complete stop, if the car started to spin the wheels a little bit the traction control would kick in and i would have to let completely off the throttle for a couple of seconds for it to kick off, so most of the time i drove with traction off in the snow.
with winter tires, i feel like this would no longer be a problem. ive told numerous people that it handles fine in the snow, you just have to know how to drive in it and they dont believe me until they see me pulling away from trucks at red lights.
as for the price, my base model 500 pop 5spd manual cost $16,000 + $500 shipping from Mexico. i currently have a 2 year corporate lease on it from chrysler and am paying $270/month with maintenance and full coverage insurance (**** of a deal).

·
Registered
181 Posts
As for wind...
I live against the foothills in Colorado, work literally 5 minutes down the road from the National Wind Technology Center (the nation's premier wind energy technology research facility - according to their site) and located in a natural wind tunnel (funnels wind off the mountains and from the mouths of several canyons). We get high winds, gusty winds, steady winds all the freaking time...enough to make me curse on a weekly basis. I have more problems walking across the lot to get into my car then I do driving my car.
when i first got my car, i took it on a short road trip to the west side of michigan with a second car following (they were in a jeep patriot). at our first stop for gas, my buddy complained about the wind pushing his car around on the highway. it was a pretty windy day but, i had noticed nothing so we traded cars for a little bit and it was very noticeable in his car.
they only ting i did notice about the 500 was that there is a bit of wind noise at around 65+ mph but if you have the stereo on above 10 it becomes barely noticeable.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Lowering the car helped the wind issue for myself.

·
Registered
168 Posts
For those that still doubt our cars capabilities in the wind...
I just drove Blue Bella home in this without a single problem (other than worried about SUVs falling over on me, lol!). Boy do I LOVE this car!! :D Again, walking to my car was much more frightening then driving her...in fact, I was wishing a Fiat could come drive me to my Fiat, lol. ;)

HIGH WIND WARNING
...HIGH WINDS WILL CONTINUE EAST OF THE CONTINENTAL DIVIDE AND OVER THE FOOTHILLS AND ADJACENT PLAINS THIS EVENING... .THE STRONG UPPER LEVEL JET STREAM OVER COLORADO WILL CONTINUE PRODUCING INTENSE SURFACE PRESSURE GRADIENTS WHICH WILL KEEP STRONG WINDS BLOWING ACROSS THE FRONT RANGE INTO TONIGHT. GUSTS OF 70 TO 90 MPH OCCURRED DURING THE AFTERNOON. TREES HAVE BEEN BLOWN DOWN IN THE BOULDER AREA AND TRUCKS HAVE BEEN BLOWN OVER ON SOME FRONT RANGE ROADWAYS. THE STRONG WINDS WILL CONTINUE AFFECTING BOULDER...THE WESTERN SECTIONS OF FORT COLLINS...LOVELAND...AND THE WESTERN SUBURBS OF DENVER. WIND GUSTS TO 80 MPH ARE EXPECTED... ALTHOUGH A FEW WIND PRONE AREAS COULD SEE GUSTS NEAR 100 MPH.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Wow this thread blew up pretty good. I am a very spirited driver and I also own a MINI Cooper S which I am building a 1.8L Stroker motor, Rotrex Supercharger, Meth injection kit, Vi-Pec standalone to make a 390-400+ whp MINI. So I guess what I am trying to say is the Fiat is a nice, does great on gas but the fun factor that even a stock Cooper S has is not there at least not for me. I got stuck right outside of my garage one morning in snow had to ride get a ride from my brother in his truck, then have been nearly completely stuck a few times in mud I have been to my shop working on my MINI. The wind we have is at times straight line winds 70+mph. My asking price is what I currently owe on it. I could go down to $13-14 to get what I owe down.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts